[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

draft strategy Idea looking for feed back

Bree22

I have 2 leagues that are fairly close in scoring and setup (different owners in each). Edit 10 team leagues sry big country.

PPR 6tds for all, start QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 TE, Flex (RB,ER,TE), DEF, K

+3 for TDs of more then 50yds, and +3 bonuses for over 100yds rush/rec and 350/passing.

OK I have the 2nd pick and 10th pick in each league.

2nd pick is RB, then good WR/WR or WR/RB depending on what is available. I usually go QB in between the 7th-9th but might go QB between the 5th-7th this yr. I have both leagues at least once the past3 yrs taking a QB late. Never felt the need to have top 3 QB to win. I took out the team with Peyton twice last yr.

Ok now to the actually pt of my post the 10th spot.

I can go RB/WR or WR/WR expecting 4-5 RBs 2-3 WRs and Graham off the board and maybe a QB. In either scenario I go, I am expecting to go with best options from round 5 on with best available splashing my QB and TE pickups between rounds 5-9.

So My thinking in the RB/WR vs WR/WR options on the 1st turn is this, If Ball or Gio is there go RB otherwise go with 2 top WRs. My thinking is that the drop off or risk after those 2 vs the next slew of RBs(round 3-7 RBs are fairly close in value in my mind) are a lot closer then the drop off from the top 7 WRs to the next set. Am I missing someone on the RB side? Not a fan of Murray (I try to avoid a high risk injury type in my first 2 picks).

What do you guys think?

Edited by Bree22

Okay, let's assume, as you say, that if Ball and Gio are there at the 10 spot you would take them over all of the available WRs.

Say both are there. YOu take one... let's say Ball.

THe guys at 11 and 12 both go WR/WR.

Now Gio is sitting there, someone you have already said you have rated above all available WRs, and we are now down 4 more WRs.

Are you saying you would pass on Gio in this situation simply to avoid going RB/RB to start?

The fact is, any positional strategy planned prior to the draft is flawed, You must adjust on the fly to what happens in your draft, Every draft is a different animal. Different owners with different perspectives on player values. If you stick to grabbing who you feel is the best value on the board, you will come out ahead. If you start gaming your own rankings/valuations to fit a predetermined planned positional strategy, you will leave a lot of value on the board.

I forgot to mention it is only 10 teams. One reason why I feel I can wait on QB and TEs.

I have Ball ahead of the 7 WRs (other then Calvin and Thomas) atm. Gio I am kinda up in the air. He is my big question atm. I do like the top 4 WRs (CJ, DT, Bryant Marshall very safe picks) more then GIO for safeness purposes. I wasn't high on Gio until recently which is getting me to rethink my draft options.

And yes I do let the draft play out and take based on what is there in the draft and not chase the draft. I do like to target players late and will take sleepers I am really high on a few rounds earlier then they project but I don't do that til rounds 9 on. I take best available the first 7 rounds always. But then it comes down to how you value(rank) your players, right. I like to have sure things (consistence, above avg production) at RB1 and WR1, WR2. I always feel that I can make up the difference with WW, matchups sleepers later on in draft or season.

I never go into any draft with a position strategy (RB/RB, RB/WR, etc). IMO it is a waste of time and effort to attempt to plan your draft in this manner. Best player available ... when considering players I percieve as equal then I consider the make up of my roster and the positions of the players ... heck this even applies to bye weeks; i.e. I am not going to pass on the best player available because of his bye week unless there is a player available with a better off week that I consider to be equivalent. Obviously the deeper into the draft I get the more consideration I give to the make up of my roster - and it is very rare that I draft a QB in the first or second round, I certainly see no reason to draft a 2nd QB until pretty late.

so you guys don't rate/rank players as being equal? I kinda group my players into my rankings and then try and get a feel for who I like in those groupings the most. I try not put everything into a number order vs groupings. This way I don't feel compelled to take someone rank at 10 vs someone ranked 12 who would be better to fit my team makeup. Now I don't plan out my draft fully in one pattern as I like to have say 3 to 5 different patterns that I can go in based on how the draft develops. Now I do have one saving grace in that I have been drafting with these guys for 10yrs so there traditionally are about 5 crazy turns that a draft can take. I actually like to figure out what those turns will or can be (I even sometimes like to start them) kinda a game in itself. but I am getting off track here.

I was basically looking o trying to see how you guys value Gio compared to Ball in refenece to Bryant, Marshall, AJ Green, Julio and A.Brown? Now I have the 10th n 11th pick so I don't need to get picky which one first as much as which two. I think Bryant will be gone I like Ball and Marshall about the same maybe Ball a little more. Then I have AJ, Julio and Antonio all about the same Maybe Julio 3rd out of that grouping. But was starting to think that Gio might fit into this grouping but not sure how or where yet. And I trust my fellow Huddlers on their insights and wisdom.

I don't mind the order in which I obtain them but I like leaving the first 5 rounds with a combo of WRs and RBs. Sometimes the draft dictates I go QB earlier than I'd like but I adjust.

I don't go in saying this is what I'm going to do. My one buddy is a running back hoar and he always starts his drafts with 3 or 4, leaving him weak at other positions.

don't lock yourself in and go with best available

So I got my first big $ in, Was in the 2 hole 10 team. Didn't see how this draft was going to played out but went with the flow. took Forte, Marshall, Gio, Floyd, Crabtree. In that order. I almost missed Gio being there. My rankings online got all screwed up some how. It had Seattle's D ranked 3rd overall.

So I got my first big $ in, Was in the 2 hole 10 team. Didn't see how this draft was going to played out but went with the flow. took Forte, Marshall, Gio, Floyd, Crabtree. In that order. I almost missed Gio being there. My rankings online got all screwed up some how. It had Seattle's D ranked 3rd overall.

This has now turned into a RMT thread.

not at all. I was just informing my fellow posters of how RL draft went in my other draft that I was not as concerned with at the time. To show that as much as I like to have a plan when entering my draft I still leave myself flexible to adjust on the fly and either roll with the draft or to force it when I need to. I don't make RMT threads (or least I haven't in 10yrs). I know if I like my team or not right after I draft.

As for my original post:

I ended up going RB/WR - ball/marshall. Very happy that he was there. But considering that part it felt like there were a few that had my cheat sheets. As frustrating as it is not to get your guy when you think you will even when you target them a round or 2 earlier and they get pick right in front of you, it is still nice to be in really competitive leagues. Makes it really fun.

on a side note I had some fun with my league mates and took richard rogers with my last pick. They were all confused. I had to give them the position and team lol. I love picks like that. It will be bitter sweet if he works out.

not at all. I was just informing my fellow posters of how RL draft went in my other draft that I was not as concerned with at the time. To show that as much as I like to have a plan when entering my draft I still leave myself flexible to adjust on the fly and either roll with the draft or to force it when I need to. I don't make RMT threads (or least I haven't in 10yrs). I know if I like my team or not right after I draft.

As for my original post:

I ended up going RB/WR - ball/marshall. Very happy that he was there. But considering that part it felt like there were a few that had my cheat sheets. As frustrating as it is not to get your guy when you think you will even when you target them a round or 2 earlier and they get pick right in front of you, it is still nice to be in really competitive leagues. Makes it really fun.

on a side note I had some fun with my league mates and took richard rogers with my last pick. They were all confused. I had to give them the position and team lol. I love picks like that. It will be bitter sweet if he works out.

This looks like what you can expect from the 2 spot in a 10-teamer. I had a local draft (wife's family, so maybe 6 serious players, 4 fun of it types). I have a very similar core - Forte and Gio were my first two picks, then got Cobb, Hilton and Garcon as my WRs. Surprisingly, still got Stafford and Olsen at QB/TE - so definitely need to go with flow of the draft. In a 10 teamer, it is much easier to start with two solid RBs - especially when a few owners go WR-WR to start, yet still get good WR value in the upper mid rounds.

My original thought of getting 2RBs/3WRs didn't pan out as thought. The value turned out to in RBs I ended up with Ball, martin and Gerhart with Marshall and Floyd in the first 5 (not the order I took them). But after the 1st 2 tiers of WRs it is a crap shoot. I got 1 more solid dependable WR for slot 3 (wallace) then spent the daft getting high reward high risk WRs. Just need at least one to pan out. Been a few yrs since i used that flex spot on a RB but you take what you are given. A few years ago you had the 3yr rule for breakout WRs. There seems to be a new trend of 2nd year WRs that were selected by there teams in the previous year 1st round draft. Forget were I saw this article but I know that I started focusing on this idea last year. Hopefully this works out, because that is my WR bench lol.Looking forward to another good year of FB and hopefully the G-men get their offense rolling by week 4.Thanks again boys/girls for the bantering. Always help to write things down and get objective feed back to work though your thoughts.Will see you all on the advice boards soon.

Edited by Bree22