[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not good timing on the site going down..

Shorttynaz

Must be sabatoge. DMD, what person or small country did you piss off during the off-season?

I also responded on the other thread. While I understand that things happen it was a real bummer not being able to access any of the content I've come to rely on (and paid for) during my draft. For me the value of the Huddle does not boil down to cheat sheets so that stop gap measure was of very little benefit to me.

Also seems backwards that the forums are restored before the real content.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Hi David,

Can you give us all the “latest estimate“ for thehuddle.com, coming back online?

These are trying times and just remember we’re all with you on this journey and

thank you for all your efforts...

tailspin

ok now the shat is getting for real my draft is tonight! haha jus kidding i dont procrastinate ive drafted also i remembered all the paid content like sos sleepers rankings for everyones league not jus my own. im unemployed and live off moms moolah i got time lots of it! now off to read my stephen king before gym and tan!

Not to pile on here, but I'm officially concerned. Long time member, and I really love the site. So much so, that I've never given my league-mates a clue that I have a subscription. It's been a rock solid site for info and very few, very minor technical glitches that I can recall. But...no site, no access, not good. I have my last draft tonight. I guess I'll use the sheets I printed out last week for a league with a different scoring format. I am, actually, glad that I have it. Any updates?

Not sweating it. Definitely feel for those with drafts yesterday and today, but I know these guys are on it and will have us back up and running in time to make all our lineup decisions for week 1. Thank goodness I had all my drafts early but I probably could draft without a cheat sheet at this point.

I wouldn't count on it. Various requests have been made for a timeline, and so far crickets. They may have lost their entire infrastructure. It sounds like they had no emergency backup plan in place. It's really quite amazing.

Hi David et al,

I send a hearty thank you, to you and all those who worked tirelessly, in getting “thehuddle.com” back online... BRAVO!!!

Or, maybe, just maybe, their IT person(s) could have done their job right the first time. Whomever failed to a) devise a disaster recovery plan, b ) failed to institute that disaster recovery plan, and c) failed to test that disaster recovery plan should be embarrassed, ashamed, and looking for a new career. Any junior or entry level professional IT tech would tell you disaster recovery is about as basic as backups and plugging in a computer.

What I find most interesting, is enough time exists to ban-hammer the forums for petty childish ribbing gone too far, but not do any of the other things mentioned above for what's being paid for by customers.

• Like 1

I am not aware of anyone being banned for anything and these forums are completely separate from the site and run by a different company. I agree - it is inconceivable to me that it takes this long or that it could happen but the problem is not with just bringing up a site, The Huddle is actually very complex with 125 database tables. The problem is getting them all to interact again as I understand it. It did not help that our raid crashed on a holiday of course. There are several very knowledgeable engineers working on it and more as this continues.

Or, maybe, just maybe, their IT person(s) could have done their job right the first time. Whomever failed to a) devise a disaster recovery plan, b ) failed to institute that disaster recovery plan, and c) failed to test that disaster recovery plan should be embarrassed, ashamed, and looking for a new career. Any junior or entry level professional IT tech would tell you disaster recovery is about as basic as backups and plugging in a computer.

What I find most interesting, is enough time exists to ban-hammer the forums for petty childish ribbing gone too far, but not do any of the other things mentioned above for what's being paid for by customers.

No doubt. While I do very much appreciate what I am sure was a tryin time for thehuddle staffs efforts, there is no excuse for having a site down for so long, and still not working correctly now. I love thehuddle and think they have top notch content, but clearly data backup/recovery was not planned for adequately. While I understand server issues are part of the web life, it doesn't change the fact that services paid for were unavailable when many of us needed them the most. I think some sort of restitution is deserved. And forgive me if I don't blindly kiss butt.

Having said all that, here's to hoping thehuddle adequately addresses the obvious data management flaws so i can continue happily paying for the great information ive become accustomed to.

• Like 1

I'd rather have them solving the problem than posting in the forums. This is the first real issue there has been in many years at the Huddle. The timing sucks but these guys are good and deserve our patience.

what does it matter if dmd is posting in the forums? its not like hes tackling the problem head on......i could be wrong,,,but i doubt he is trained to do so....thats what the pros are for.....so while they are working on it(and im sure he is in contact with them).....he is here letting you know whats going on as best as he can....

• Like 3

It sounds like DMD understands this is bad timing, and a major PITA for the users of his site. Hopefully things will be up, and any issues with not having an adequate plan to deal with this will be addressed. (Peronsally I don't care how they handle it so long as they do, I'm in IT [progamming but not web stuff] and I'm not going to lecture them on what they did wrong and talk about people who should be fired or seek new careers. I understand people are unhappy, but I do not think any of that is helpful.

Hope everything will be up and available later today before my draft tonight. Though I don't have a lot of faith in that happening. What is still a little frustrating is the many links on the draft kit that just don't work. Maybe its more extra busy work that there isn't time for but some sort of "this page is unavailable" message for them would be helpful.

Problem for me is I wasn't a paid member last (but was for some years before) and had forgotton some of the tools I was using. Without being able to poke around yesterday (when I finally had the time and figured 36 hours was enough time to prepare for my draft) I cannot even email DMD and say "can you send me this" because I don't know what to ask for.

In addition to any changes made to better deal with this in the future I think some sort of partial refund or extra discount for next year is in order.

The pages for the draft kit that do not work are a product of the complicated databases that are being worked on. That is why the player pages are currently out as well. That is the final piece that has to be established for it all to work again as I understand it. That has been the problem all along - when hardware fails and the entire server must be rebuilt, the biggest challenge is getting it all to link together properly. It is not a case of copy files over and it all works. Apparently it is making everything again hook up, handshake, pass off, get input, etc and get the FTP in and stuff that is just plain over my head and I was an software engineer for ten years in a past life.

The pages for the draft kit that do not work are a product of the complicated databases that are being worked on. That is why the player pages are currently out as well. That is the final piece that has to be established for it all to work again as I understand it. That has been the problem all along - when hardware fails and the entire server must be rebuilt, the biggest challenge is getting it all to link together properly. It is not a case of copy files over and it all works. Apparently it is making everything again hook up, handshake, pass off, get input, etc and get the FTP in and stuff that is just plain over my head and I was an software engineer for ten years in a past life.

And things do seem to be coming back (the keeper/dynasty page linked below), while others (rankings using myhuddle scoring, second link) are giving the 404 page not found error.

http://www.thehuddle.com/2014/cheat_sheets/keeper.php

http://www.thehuddle.com/myHuddle/2014/ccs

In addition to any changes made to better deal with this in the future I think some sort of partial refund or extra discount for next year is in order.

IMO - for "returning" members only. This wasn't an inconvenience for everyone - mainly for those of us who had drafts yesterday, being a day most of us had off a few days prior to the season starting, that was a lot of us - me included. I can speculate and offer suggestions on what I'd do if it were my business, but it's not - as stated earlier, I'm sure the powers to be will devise a plan to work past this and do what's right for customer retention. Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

It is not realistic to expect membership fee returns or reductions. There is absolutely no way to identify the impacted audience, and I don't believe for a minute the entire Huddle membership was impacted. Nobody is happy that it happened, including the ownership/management of TheHuddle. Expecting the Huddle to penalize themselves by forfeiting membership fees is silly and not productive. You can't expect the Huddle to provide the content you desire without the membership fees.

• Like 1

Bad timing for sure. Had to print out cheat sheets for my son and I and couldn't. Pretty safe to say most people are last minute and a live draft is pain in the ass for the whole family etc. so not having this just ices it all off.

For many folks who input their scoring systems the short term sheets/pdf were not optimal. Also many people use their sheets for one draft and want a new one for the next draft.

Obviously not intentional, this is awful for business. But frustrating nonetheless.