[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pet Peeves... Clueless Owners and Online Drafting

dfv87

Just some random thoughts and sarcasm from our local draft...

We had our draft last night and this year there are 2-3 owners... that should just gives half their money and let the rest of us just kick them in the nuts and call it a day... they drafted 3 guys that were cut/suspended for the year or just are not going to play.

We use ESPN for our host site and they all used the ratings from ESPN... which were IMO awful... and they still drafted a dog of a team. The league is not big $$, just friends from way back (Now we have a wife in and 2 sons) but we have several guys/and a wife that just don't get it. This used to be a competitive group and full of SMACK TALK, now we are reduced to sad auto picking owners after round 3... The wife drafted 1 cut player and a K in round 5! AND it was B Walsh from MN and Not a top K!! The sons (all 16+) drafted like rookies (Took players that win games but don't have the stats for FF... Wilson at QB in round 2) and used outdated info, but they are kids/wife so it seemed harsh to rip them like I would their dad if he had drafted Gordon...Took all the fun out of the draft.

Second pet peeve is online drafting... 7 of 10 owners sitting a table staring at laptops (3 out of state guys online only (no Phone!), watching picks... with no ribbing, no commentary, you were able to make those picks that will evoke ridicule or bring your Homerism into question... As a Vikes Fan I will still draft a Packer if my draft board says I should, but I also used to have to SAY IT OUT LOUD in front of all my buddies, now we can just click a button and hope the next owners is on Auto pick... Cowardly IMO.. It was like being at work!!!!! Quiet except for clicking keyboards...

Edited by dfv87

I'd don't mind a handful of clueless owners, it's easy money added to the pot.

A peeve of mine is people who draft in the early rounds, then disappear, and then when I see a great value falling to me, the system will autopick that player for the deadbeats who've left the draft.

• Like 4

Don't get why the use of devices to draft online with 7 of 10 owners in the same room results in zero trash talking or commentary on the picks. Sounds you should just scrap getting together and all sit and home and draft.

We have one remote owner who is on the phone through our entire draft. We've considered using the sites online version and letting owners (or the commish in their absence if they don't have a portable device to draft online) make their picks that way. We've had concerns that we'd devovle from there into an online draft from home, and this is the only time all year that our owners get together. League is a mix of guys at work, former workers and a group of friends of my co-commish/co-worker).

I'd don't mind a handful of clueless owners, it's easy money added to the pot.

A peeve of mine is people who draft in the early rounds, then disappear, and then when I see a great value falling to me, the system will autopick that player for the deadbeats who've left the draft.

+1

i understand that some guys may be typing on tablets or phones....and i cant lie that autocorrect thing gets me sometimes too....

but i have huge pet peeves when reading fantasy message boards.....

3. shane vareen- its vereen....you must have seen it spelled correctly a few times while reading rankings/articles

2. peyton called payton- i just really hope there isnt someone who has done this without it being an autocorrect...for the love of all things holy

and last and certainly not least...my top peeve

1. people calling their receiving corps. their "receiving core"....its a corps people...ya know a group of people who engage in an activity

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

I also enjoy when I decide that I can hold off on drafting a QB (or whatever other position) for another round because the teams drafting behind me have already selected a QB - only to have one of said other teams go ahead and draft a second QB . . . before it has even filled out its starting roster. Boneheads. This has thrown off my whole draft a few times now.

• Like 1

I also enjoy when I decide that I can hold off on drafting a QB (or whatever other position) for another round because the teams drafting behind me have already selected a QB - only to have one of said other teams go ahead and draft a second QB . . . before it has even filled out its starting roster. Boneheads. This has thrown off my whole draft a few times now.

Yeah happened to me in my draft, decided to wait on Brady because between my current pick and my next one there was no team that needed a QB but someone picked him anyways to back up Cam.

Depending on the person not totally bonehead as the guy instantly tried to trade Brady to me :boxing:

Similar to the above I was waiting on tight end. Had my sights set on Rudolph and sure enough the D bag that drafted Julius Thomas snipes him from me. This same guy took Seattle d and kicker before this pick. Infuriating. I still ended up with greg Olsen buy would've loved rudolph.

Last year the qb thing happened to me, guy drafted rg3 and Brady before I had my qb....I won out in the end though when I grabbed romo. That guy struggled all year since rg3 sucked and Brady was nothing special

i understand that some guys may be typing on tablets or phones....and i cant lie that autocorrect thing gets me sometimes too....

but i have huge pet peeves when reading fantasy message boards.....

3. shane vareen- its vereen....you must have seen it spelled correctly a few times while reading rankings/articles

2. peyton called payton- i just really hope there isnt someone who has done this without it being an autocorrect...for the love of all things holy

and last and certainly not least...my top peeve

1. people calling their receiving corps. their "receiving core"....its a corps people...ya know a group of people who engage in an activity

I've done that on occassion and it wasn't auto correct, I also recently spell Chuck Noll's name wrong (as Knoll) and got wripped for it. My parents lived on a street Oak Knoll for years, and when I think of that word I just spell it with the K out of habit.

Typos and mental mistakes like that happen. The costant use of your (when its you're) or there for their is more annoying to me, becuase you can tell the frequency that it happens that people just don't know the difference not that it was just a typo or brain fart.

What kind of bugs me more is the people who just always say "damn autocorrect", if you've got a feature like that turned on, try reading what you type sometimes before clicking post/send.

Yeah happened to me in my draft, decided to wait on Brady because between my current pick and my next one there was no team that needed a QB but someone picked him anyways to back up Cam.

Depending on the person not totally bonehead as the guy instantly tried to trade Brady to me :boxing:

One year in our 5 man keeper league a few owners did not proect a QB, we projected who'd be available and when. Then they guy with the 3rd pick (he had QB/RB/RB/WR/WR) drafts another QB. We only start one, he's got 5 of his starters and drafts a backup with his first pick.Don't think the guy planned to trade the other QB nor did the QB he kept have any injury or other issues. I can see keeping 3 RB (we only start 2 no flex) or drafting other backups before a K/D or even a TE if the value is there. Just seemed really strange and was a curve ball to those needing a QB.

With respect to waiting on drafting someone because you assume no one else will draft them as a back-up is not bad drafting strategy by your opponent.

You try to play the odds and sometimes it doesn't work out. Maybe they drafted the back-up to screw you over. I did something similar in a draft this past weekend. I could tell one owner was waiting on Cutler so I took him as a back-up when I felt there was minimal value left at the other positions. I didn't have a WR3 at the time, but there were a half dozen WRs left on the board and I got one of them the following round. Said owner fessed up later that he wanted Cutler and now he either has to make a deal, or live with his Tier 3 QB.

(This post is not about everyone's perceived value of Cutler. I think he will have a solid year and so do many others).

It is fair game to grab backups and snipe those who are waiting on the position, it just rarely pays to do so. Unless it is a 14+ team league or a league with unique scoring, QB just isnt very valuable.

So you sniped Cutler from me - I will take Romo. Oh, Romo just went, then give me Rivers. No Rivers, I will take Palmer in the 14th then. Someone wants 3 QB's eh...I will stream Alex and Geno Smith and dominate you at every other position.

While other teams are tying up roster spots trying to corner the market on the deepest position in the game, I will be vacuuming up all of the top breakout candidates. And guess what, when one of my WRs breaks out to steady WR2 production, I can trade him for a lot more than some backup QB.

• Like 1

I hate it when there is tremendous value on the board and someone decides to say to the whole room "I can't believe (player name) is still on the board". Sure, everybody should see him on the board. And maybe he wouldn't have ever gotten to me. But please, just shut the F up dude.

The above is one reason that I'm only in one snake draft and hoping to convert those guys to auction next year.

• Like 5

that always happened to me. Now I just assume that unless they have Manning, Brees or Rodgers, the likelihood of one of the other teams drafting a 2d QB early is high, so Ill draft my QB a round earlier as insurance.

that always happened to me. Now I just assume that unless they have Manning, Brees or Rodgers, the likelihood of one of the other teams drafting a 2d QB early is high, so Ill draft my QB a round earlier as insurance.

...but then you're "reaching"!

I drafted Stacy @ 3.10 (12 team...16 rounds)...and in 10 drafts before this one, NOBODY drafted B Cunningham before Round 15 or 16, if at all, so I waited, and in Round 14, before my pick, someone did..................sniped!

I hate drafting with people who have no idea what they're doing. Standard scoring 10 team league with 1PPR and the guy with the #1 pick took drew brees. Again this was my only local and the group is fun but I'm not one of those who can sell myself on enjoying it cause it's easy money. I'd much rather work for it playing against great competition.

• Like 2

I hate drafting with people who have no idea what they're doing. Standard scoring 10 team league with 1PPR and the guy with the #1 pick took drew brees. Again this was my only local and the group is fun but I'm not one of those who can sell myself on enjoying it cause it's easy money. I'd much rather work for it playing against great competition.

I will have to agree with this. In my local an owner entering his fourth year of fantasy took Seahawks Defense in the fifth round. Next defense went in the 10th round when somebody disconnected during the round.