[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon - opinions wanted

Warship

Our league had our draft last week, and a guy drafted Josh Gordon in the 12th round. This was at the point in time where he was definitely going to be suspended, but NFL didn't state if it was going to be a few games or a whole year. General thinking was that it was likely going to be a year, but it's a keeper league where any pick taken in the 5th round or later and kept on your roster all year can be kept as next year's 5th round pick. So it was a smart keeper draft pick with potential upside this year if he got a small suspension.

Last week NFL ruled he was suspended for a year, and a few days later the owner dropped Gordon.

Today there are rumors that NFL drug policy may be changed, and that could mean Welker and Gordon could possibly have their suspensions removed. A different owner picked up Gordon tonight since he was a free agent. Anybody in the league could have picked him up at that time first come first served since he was not on waivers because he didn't play any games yet.

The question is -- is this a legitimate pick up that should be allowed? There are three possible rulings:

1. Gordon should be given back to the original owner since he drafted him, and only dropped him because the NFL may possibly change their own rules.

2. Gordon should be ruled ineligible for the whole league since he's a top 10 WR that may give someone a big advantage

3. Gordon should stay with the owner that picked him up in free agency since there was nothing technically against the rules about it.

This is a money league, and we want to get a ruling out before games on Sunday. Thanks all

Why is it even relevant? He's not going to have been on someone's roster the entire year. It would be #3 otherwise.

#1 makes zero sense. He didn't drop him because the NFL may change the rules, he now regrets dropping him because the NFL may change their rule. Not that that matters, he dropped him, period. Gone.

And #2 is a horrible option. Whining because it's too big an advantage, seriously?

1. Gordon should be given back to the original owner since he drafted him, and only dropped him because the NFL may possibly change their own rules.

2. Gordon should be ruled ineligible for the whole league since he's a top 10 WR that may give someone a big advantage

3. Gordon should stay with the owner that picked him up in free agency since there was nothing technically against the rules about it.

Why is it even relevant? He's not going to have been on someone's roster the entire year.

It would be relevant if the league does modify its drug policy and reinstates Welker and Gordon because their infractions might not warrent the 4 game and year long suspensions they received under the current system. Gordon isn't eligible for keeper anymore, but if he plays this year it could be a huge value.

let me guess: OP is the guy who drafted Gordon in the first place.

Actually, I'm the guy that picked up Gordon, but there were various viewpoints by others in the league, and I want to maintain the integrity of the league by doing what's fair, so I posted it for impartial people to give their thoughts. Thanks

Can you point to anything where someone from the NFL said "If this new policy goes through, we may overturn the suspensions of Gordon, Blackmon, Welker..."? If not, then this isn't this all just pure conjecture from sports writers?

It's in The Huddles news feed.

Actually, I'm the guy that picked up Gordon, but there were various viewpoints by others in the league, and I want to maintain the integrity of the league by doing what's fair, so I posted it for impartial people to give their thoughts. Thanks

Since Bronco Billy is not around at the moment I'll will say it then:

Tell the rest of your league to put on their big boy pants. If the guy who dropped Gordon can't fit into them, then suggest he takes his diaper off first.

• Like 6

cut and dried.

someone dropped him and he was picked up. that's how waivers works.

Not

someone dropped him, NFL changes policies, NFL reinstates dropped player. Player awarded back to team that dropped him.

I mean, who even thinks like this?

• Like 1

Everybody else already said it.

Plus The whole "suspenions may be reduced if this agreement is signed" is all just speculation. The one thing I read said "if they agree to make this rule retroactive...." I don't see why they would, except as a concession to the players so they agree with the HGH testing. Also read that if they don't have an agreement this week, it would probably wait until the off seaosn.

Either way there isn't any real strong evidence that Gordon will play. And none of that has any bearing on the issue here, your rules are pretty simple, player was cut, free agent acquired end of discussion. Sucks that you'll have to try to convince your league that it was fair, or bow to their stupidity to retain league integrity. The integrity should be based on the rules, not a bunch of owners complaining. The same reason that trades should not require a majority approval of league owners.

Good luck.

• Like 1

With the ongoing discussion on gordon filing a lawsuit, the original owner knew there was a very miniscule chance gordon wins his way back onto the field. While I didn't view this as a likely possibility, I think it would've been worth it to hold onto him for a little bit, just in case. The rule change should have no bearing in my opinion. He dropped him. Sucks for him.