[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ray Rice RELEASED

Papa Deuce

I'm all for this POS getting released and banned indefinitely - but.. Here's what I find confusing. Adam Schefter touched on this on ESPN shortly before his release was announced. Double Jeopardy.

You were already penalized for a crime or wrongdoing you committed. Wouldn't one think that the NFL did their due diligence prior to handing down this 2 game suspension? The NFL HAD to have known what really happened. Seems like the Ravens did as well - but once this video comes out after all the penalties are handed out - only THEN do they go back on their ruling and hand out a stiffer one. Sure, he wasn't tried in court, but he was essentially tried by the NFL and a penalty was handed out. What a cluster F' this is gonna become.

• Like 5

And the nfl has suspended him indefinitely as per espn

That seems odd, I thought the new guidelines for domestic assault/violence had that punishment for the second offense?

Lots of reactionary decisions being made now that there is video evidence of what most thought happened (and that we were led to believe the NFL new about).

• Like 1

I'm all for this POS getting released and banned indefinitely - but.. Here's what I find confusing. Adam Schefter touched on this on ESPN shortly before his release was announced. Double Jeopardy.

You were already penalized for a crime or wrongdoing you committed. Wouldn't one think that the NFL did their due diligence prior to handing down this 2 game suspension? The NFL HAD to have known what really happened. Seems like the Ravens did as well - but once this video comes out after all the penalties are handed out - only THEN do they go back on their ruling and hand out a stiffer one. Sure, he wasn't tried in court, but he was essentially tried by the NFL and a penalty was handed out. What a cluster F' this is gonna become.

The NFL and the Ravens are basically saying that they knew it was bad, but had no idea it was this bad until they saw the video. Supposedly the hotel and the local police were the only agencies that had this footage.

Plus the victim here (Ray's wife) testified to both the NFL and the police that she was the instigator and that she was being physical with him. Also the NFL and the Ravens were lead to believe that it was a mutual skirmish in which she was knocked off balance and hit the handrail. Knocking her unconcious.

This video removes all doubt. He punched her in the face. Hard. Twice. With no instigation on her part besides words.

Now if proof comes out that either the NFL or the Ravens had viewed this footage earlier in the case....... well then we will have a true sht storm.

Edited by Alphashado

I am sure that Mr. Rice is currently at his legal tailor being fitted for a shiney double (jeopardy) breasted lawsuit. He will go on the offensive. With his career at stack he and his "team" will no doubt bring that suit to the NFL exective suite very soon. It will not be a friendly visit.

• Like 2

The NFL has really screwed the pooch on this one. How exactly did they, or anyone else, think his fiancee ended up unconscious?

First, Ray Rice is to blame for all of this. Period.

However, the NFL has made this much worse than it should have been. They should have handed down an 8-game suspension from the get-go and not discussed the video. I believe, without a doubt and has been reported by Peter King, that they saw the video before the suspension. Then, when some people inevitably get upset about the length of an 8-game suspension - out comes the video and they're covered.

Instead, this man's career is over. If this is the criteria by which NFL players are going to be judged then they're going to end up cutting half the league. I am a firm believer in second chances, something the NFL has now completely removed for this guilty man.

As an aside, I find it reasonably likely that Goodell is going to get quietly removed in the next 1-3 years because of how this was handled.

Edited by stethant
  • Like 3

The NFL and the Ravens are basically saying that they knew it was bad, but had no idea it was this bad until they saw the video. Supposedly the hotel and the local police were the only agencies that had this footage.

Plus the victim here (Ray's wife) testified to both the NFL and the police that she was the instigator and that she was being physical with him. Also the NFL and the Ravens were lead to believe that it was a mutual skirmish in which she was knocked off balance and hit the handrail. Knocking her unconcious.

This video removes all doubt. He punched her in the face. Hard. Twice. With no instigation on her part besides words.

Now if proof comes out that either the NFL or the Ravens had viewed this footage earlier in the case....... well then we will have a true sht storm.

So then they should have obtained ALL the evidence before proceeding with their ruling. If they wanted to rule based on the evidence they had - so be it. You can't go back afterwards and say, "Oh sorry - just kidding - we found new evidence and want to rule based on this now". Well I say you can't do that, but they did. I'm not saying I'm not in favor or banning this scum forever - but still.. How's that gonna stand with everyone else who gets a penalty levied on them by the league. What if they serve it and something comes out afterwards, they're gonna have to worry that this isn't really over, when their employer is telling them it is..
  • Like 2

Is there any way this is not ending up in court? Rice and his wife lied to Goodell about what really happen in the elevator (at least that is the NFL's version), Goodell ate it up raw and suspended him for only two games, then found out he was lied to and suspends him indefinitely. I just don't see how any of this, deservingly or not, is an indefinitely suspension.

• Like 1

Is there a double jeopardy clause in the CBA? ESPN is insinuating that there is one.

I'm not a CBA or legal expert (nor a Rice sympathizer), but this feels like the team and the league colluded to backdoor the CBA for a desired result. If so, how will the players union feel about this potentially happening in other cases? This could play out even uglier down the road.

• Like 1

Is there a double jeopardy clause in the CBA? ESPN is insinuating that there is one.

There is no way this stands. Worst case, they bump him up to a 6 game suspension in accordance with the new policy. I don't even think that can hold up though.

Goodell just jumped the shark. And I'm one of the people that has staunchly supported most of what he's done as being within reason and what's to be expected. This, however, is a joke.

• Like 1

There is no way this stands. Worst case, they bump him up to a 6 game suspension in accordance with the new policy. I don't even think that can hold up though.

Goodell just jumped the shark. And I'm one of the people that has staunchly supported most of what he's done as being within reason and what's to be expected. This, however, is a joke.

They're all overreacting (Ravens and NFL) to try and stop the public outcry. I keep thinking about the new policy, and how this is even way out of line with that. As others have said, it is damage control.