[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PPR Scoring Discussion

Easy n Dirty

I've been thinking about the best PPR scoring scheme. I think PPR came about as a way to attempt to deemphasize the RB position a little bit by putting more weight onto receivers, and also by making more RBs startable. But as I look at some week 1 results this year, I think the balance maybe has shifted too much. I look at guys like Greg Olsen, Pierre Garcon, Jordy Nelson - they all had decent weeks, but PPR scoring made them into superstars.

I'm beginning to think that 1/2 point PPR might be preferable to full point PPR - any thoughts?

In the BOTH CA league we use a tiered PPR system where RB's get .5 pts, WR's get .75 pts, and TE's get 1 pt. Its interesting and for me it didn't really change my draft strategy compared to a standard PPR league where all catches are 1pt for all positions.

I've been thinking about the best PPR scoring scheme. I think PPR came about as a way to attempt to deemphasize the RB position a little bit by putting more weight onto receivers, and also by making more RBs startable. But as I look at some week 1 results this year, I think the balance maybe has shifted too much. I look at guys like Greg Olsen, Pierre Garcon, Jordy Nelson - they all had decent weeks, but PPR scoring made them into superstars.

I'm beginning to think that 1/2 point PPR might be preferable to full point PPR - any thoughts?

The thing is that PPR, in general, makes a few backs even more valuable than they already are (guys like Forte, McCoy, etc. that are already top backs but also catch a lot), helped the few receiving backs out there (Bush, Sproles, Vereen) so they are playable when they are mediocre at best without PPR, and hurt the backs that rarely catch, like Alfred Morris.

What it did to WRs was make the elite WRs even more valuable, as they catch 80+ per season compared to the 50-60 of the more average WRs. However, with PPR, those "more average" WRs are stellar flx options compared to the running backs generally up for consideration for the spot. An average WR can pretty regularly get 4 catches for 40 yards, which is 8 fantasy points is relatively standard PPR scoring. An RB would have to rush for 80 yards to match that...quite a feat when you consider that in a 12 team, start 2 RB league, you are usually talking about RBs ranked in the high 20s to low 30s at the position.

Good points by BC.

We still don't use PPR but years ago adjusted our yardage scoring for TE because they were mostly worthless (too many players getting 0-1 points). We used to do 1 pt/25 yards receiving, and changed it to 10 for TEs. Some years later we made them uniform for all positions at the more standard 1pt/10yards. We realized this inflated values of other positions relative to TE but the original idea was to just make TE more startable and not a wasted roster spot. That still stands. It took some time adjusting coming from a TD only league, some still don't like that 100 yards rush/rec is worth more than a TD.

I'm a purist. Points for yardage and TDs only. We play 3 WRs . 2 RBs, 1 TE and a flex. No likey the dink and dunk WRs who get massive PPR points without doing much on the field.

Except do things like keep drives alive, get the hard first downs, put the team in scoring position.

You know, the useless stuff like that.

• Like 1

I'm a purist. Points for yardage and TDs only. We play 3 WRs . 2 RBs, 1 TE and a flex. No likey the dink and dunk WRs who get massive PPR points without doing much on the field.

if you were a true purist you would only count TDs and FGs like it was when I started playing. Once you added points for yardage you left the realm of purism.

[ETA]

And you wouldn't have a flex, that came along later too

Edited by Grits and Shins

if you were a true purist you would only count TDs and FGs like it was when I started playing. Once you added points for yardage you left the realm of purism.

[ETA]

And you wouldn't have a flex, that came along later too

You also wouldn't have more than 6 elegible players your line (QB/RB/WR/TE). I think most leagues had the standard pro formation line-up (QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE) and a kicker. USA today a spreadsheet and a beer during MNF, those were the days :)

I used to prefer the 0,5 PPR. but in the last few years I have found 1 PPR leagues more fun.

I still don't have much experience with tiered PPRs league, but I think that would become the norm at sometime in the future.