[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worth the read

Geo33

I clicked on the link since it was from Grantland and I will say it was a great article. The jist of it is summarized below - the article is short and worth a full read:

"Depending on how you look at things, the NFL is either incompetent and irresponsible, or inhumane and reprehensible. And that last sentence could double as a description of everything pro football’s become with Roger Goodell in charge."

• Like 1

I clicked on the link since it was from Grantland and I will say it was a great article. The jist of it is summarized below - the article is short and worth a full read:

"Depending on how you look at things, the NFL is either incompetent and irresponsible, or inhumane and reprehensible. And that last sentence could double as a description of everything pro football’s become with Roger Goodell in charge."

I've been saying this for quite a while now, but I'm just a blind-ass Saints homer who has an axe to grind with Goodell. Any negative opinion I have on the NFL is completely moot.

I've been saying this for quite a while now, but I'm just a blind-ass Saints homer who has an axe to grind with Goodell. Any negative opinion I have on the NFL is completely moot.

Come on I haven't said that in months now ;)

Reading that article it clearly points out this isn't just a Goodell issue, but an issue with the teams coaches, owners, players, etc. Nobody wants to take action that harms the team, unless their is some damning evidence like the Rice elevator video. I read yesterday that Rice had already told the Ravens he hit is wife, apparently that was ok and he could continue to play, until they saw that horrible video. Then they did something, whether because they now realized how bad it really was, or just for damage control.

If there were videos of McDonald and Hardy they'd be booted as well.

Come on I haven't said that in months now ;)

Reading that article it clearly points out this isn't just a Goodell issue, but an issue with the teams coaches, owners, players, etc. Nobody wants to take action that harms the team, unless their is some damning evidence like the Rice elevator video. I read yesterday that Rice had already told the Ravens he hit is wife, apparently that was ok and he could continue to play, until they saw that horrible video. Then they did something, whether because they now realized how bad it really was, or just for damage control.

If there were videos of McDonald and Hardy they'd be booted as well.

I see your point and I agree that there is a much bigger picture here that needs to be better addressed. My last comment to you in the other thread touched on my thoughts in that regard, but ultimately the responsibility of "protecting the shield" is his and he is getting paid an exorbitant amount of money to do so. You would think that, being a lawyer, he would be a bit more competant in regards to due process, investigation and level of punishment in all situations. He asked for the power to be judge, jury and executioner and has carried the approach that his judgement is beyond reproach. Well, now that it's finally being dragged out for the world to see that he's failing miserably in those regards, he deserves exactly what he's getting. And in this blind-ass Saints homer's view, it's long overdue.

Edited by rajncajn

I'm definitely not a Saints homer and I have to say the NFL is approaching the heights of hypocrisy here. If you're going to basically destroy a team's season (the Saints) to "protect the shield" then why is there some different standard now that Goodell has screwed up?

There was an article on ESPN this morning with a tag line of something like "Goodell says job not in jeopardy." I thought it was a headline from The Onion. Really? He's his own boss? This exceptionally negative story has completely dominated coverage of the NFL since Monday.

I found it very interesting on NFL Live yesterday that ESPN (and presumably Disney) was open and vocal in their NFL criticism for pretty much the entire show. The Powers that Be there must have decided they're not towing the NFL party line on this story. Paul Tagliabue has already come in once to clean up Goodell's mess. I would fire Goodell, appoint an interim commish like Tagliabue to clean house, and then reboot with a new administration.

Edited by stethant

Goodell is not his own boss, he answers to the NFL owners. They alone have the right to hire, fire, appoint, select, the league's commissioner. They don't take those decisions lightly or make them quickly.

As far as ESPNs stance, they thrive on controversy and sensational stories. They're echoing what many others including average fans are saying, that Goodell should be forced out. They aren't really thumbing their nose at the NFL, they are a partner and still see great value in the NFL games they broadcast.