[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Roger Goodell?

Team Archer

Goodell works for the owners and the owners are making money, so he's doing his job. What I don't get, is the new domestic violence rule dictates a 6 week ban. Why is Rice thrown under the bus with an indefinite ban? I'm not championing his cause based on the severity of the offence, but the indefinite ban doesn't make sense according to the rules.

because the video was revolting and the whole world watched it online IMO

I agree it's revolting, but that's not the point. I don't think any team wants anything to do with Rice, but the new rules don't specify a clause if video is available. The NFL is reacting to public outcry with new rules, which I agree with, but the rules are pretty specific.

Ray is a hot potato. Even if the NFL suspension is overturned, he would still have to be signed by another team. I'm not sure any team owner is going to be willing to go anywhere near him until this situation cools down.

Heads are going to roll though. Goodell's knee-jerk reaction to the video's release and his willingness to disregard his own policy is just proof that he will not hesitate to climb over sacrificial lambs in order to stay on top of the pile.

This is above and beyond the power of the NFL now. There are way too many powerful entities involved in their own investigations. Congress is even getting involved. Money and power go a long ways towards covering up damaging stories. But this is far beyond that now. Either Goodell is going to go down in flames or he is going to make sure someone below him burns.

Congress has no business getting involved, they have much more important things to attend to ... of course that didn't stop them from butting into baseball

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

Suspensions need to be dealt with by an independent panel because it just seems to be down to whatever the NFL currently wants to push as its policy, whether that be a harsh line or leniency. Most the talk when Rice was first suspended was that he was setting the bar low ahead of having to punish Jim Irsay (too lenient again for me) and its all blown up in his face again.

Would be absolutely stunned if this resulted in the end of Goodell as Commish.

Goodell works for the owners and the owners are making money, so he's doing his job. What I don't get, is the new domestic violence rule dictates a 6 week ban. Why is Rice thrown under the bus with an indefinite ban? I'm not championing his cause based on the severity of the offence, but the indefinite ban doesn't make sense according to the rules.

Agreed he works for the owners, but this is undoubtedly a black eye for the league...let's not act like Goodell is turning water into wine and if he leaves the league will collapse. Whoever the bring in to replace him, which I think they will, will make the owners just as much money.

In my opinion the league is really on the ropes here. As far as damage control is concerned and ending all this nonsense, getting these women's rights groups off their backs, the only solution left really is for Goodell to resign. Even if he doesn't and some other high up executive takes the fall hell forever be looked at as a complete joke.

The AP has already proved the league office had the tape prior to the initial suspension. Goodell tried to dismiss the reports from TMZ that they knew about this tape by saying they only listen to information gathered by the police. Well as we all know this tape was supplied by the police (oops). We all should not be surprised they had the tape as every member of the NFL's security team is a former police officer or FBI agent. To think their "brothers" from the police force wouldn't share it with them is ridiculous. Don't forget that Goodell's two biggest supporters before he was chosen as commissioner were Jim Irsay and Steve Bisciotti. Two guys who benefitted from some of his more questionable decisions. This info will be scrutinized and will only put Goodell in an even less flattering light. I also believe many of the owners were aware of this other tape, they may not have seen it, but they were aware of it. Goodell and his people thought they could keep it under wraps and spin this, but they were wrong.

Goodell will go down for this, and once he is gone the league will pile on him and throw him under the bus for everything despite the fact that the owners are just as culpable. He's the easy scapegoat here: guy under public fire for multiple questionable decisions who has been caught in lies and even has publicly admitted to making bad decisions. It's a no brainer.

Yep. The worst thing he could have done is suspend Rice after the video. The Ravens would have, in all likelihood, cut him and no team would (hopefully) touch him so the suspension was kind of pointless. Instead, he overreacts due to public pressure and now is getting heat from all sides and if Rice gets reinstated through appeal, Goodell looks even worse.

Thought the sequence of events was Ravens cut him, then Goodell suspended him and sent the memo to all teams to "don't attempt to sign him".

It was not need, no team was going to sign him now with all the fallout from this issue. And it did look like a PR move, CYA or reaction to public pressure.

Agree on comments about the Ravens and if they saw the video. Even if not they said Ray told them what happened, did they ask follow up questions about how he hit her (open/closed hand) or how she was knocked unconscious (from his hit, or did she hit her head). And knowing all that (or not bothering to ask questions) they then went on to talk about what a great guy he is. Then the video comes out, and a complete 180 and they are disgusted by what they saw and acted quickly. Hate to keep beating this dead horse but they all (NFL, Ravens) are doing damage control. Soon the NJ authorities may be doing that too, since eventually somebody is going to ask them "why didn't you lock this guy up after seeing that video?"

• Like 1

Yep said that from the beginning. The new policy had a year ban for the second offense, how does it apply here. Massive overreaction, CYA, PR move, placate the mob...

Some more of my thougts as I read the thread...

I would not be surprised to see him gone as Commish sometime this year. It won't happen quickly and they may wait for the independent investigation to come out. The talk by some in the media (that Goodell will be gone before Sunday's games) is not likely.

Even if Goodell is gone, the women's rights groups and others may not let it go. The pattern here of action by the NFL and Ravens is they will do something when there is public outcry (not because they saw the video and were horrified, but because millions did and they are horrified). So this hard line stance of "domestic violence has no place in the NFL" is just lip service. Look at other players recently involved, like the SF player accused of hitting his pregnant GF. He's still playing in games, real hard line there.

I don't think the AP really proved anything, or I didn't read something that looked like proof. They reported some LEO from NJ says he sent the tape and he had a VM he saved from the person at NFL that called him back. I didn't see any real proof that an NFL employee received that. Remember this is the same LEO that sent the video who wasn't supposed to send it, is that a truly trustworthy source?

If the other NFL owners also knew about the tape and kept it under raps they all need to go as well. (Will the fans have the guts to FIRE them?)

An independent panel is required for determining punishment so consistency and objectivity can be established. It is inconsistent that the 2nd time you punch your domestic partner you are done for life but you can drive drunk, kill your team mate, go to jail and you can get your job back after you get out of jail.

The severity of the punishment should not be determined by the vehemence of the public reaction.

• Like 1

I can't see 24 of the 32 owners voting him out, plus the longer he stays as commissioner the less likely it will be he'll be voted to be removed as the furore dies down.

Considering there are a number of players in the league who've had domestic violence disputes and arrests it is harsh on Rice in a way. Basically had he done it in his own home away from CCTV then he'd have probably be suiting up in 10 days time.

I can't see 24 of the 32 owners voting him out, plus the longer he stays as commissioner the less likely it will be he'll be voted to be removed as the furore dies down.

Considering there are a number of players in the league who've had domestic violence disputes and arrests it is harsh on Rice in a way. Basically had he done it in his own home away from CCTV then he'd have probably be suiting up in 10 days time.

Disagree. They are reacting to public sentiment already and the public furor isn't going to die down until somebody's head rolls. The owners are not going to be held responsible - that is Goodell's liability. The NFL is going to get to the point where they want to quiet the masses and the way to do that will be to offer Goodell as a sacrificial lamb.

• Like 1

Disagree. They are reacting to public sentiment already and the public furor isn't going to die down until somebody's head rolls. The owners are not going to be held responsible - that is Goodell's liability. The NFL is going to get to the point where they want to quiet the masses and the way to do that will be to offer Goodell as a sacrificial lamb.

But there's a big difference between banning one player indefinitely and booting out their commissioner in terms of reacting to this weeks events. Sure some owners will look to oust him but I think he's got the backing of enough to survive if they ever did have a vote.

Would be happy for him to go btw but think it might be wishful thinking at this stage.

Edited by Dolphin_Akie

Soon the NJ authorities may be doing that too, since eventually somebody is going to ask them "why didn't you lock this guy up after seeing that video?"

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/ray_rice_video_atlantic_city_prosecutor_breaks_silence_explains_why_jail_wasnt_option.html#incart_river

FYI

But there's a big difference between banning one player indefinitely and booting out their commissioner in terms of reacting to this weeks events. Sure some owners will look to oust him but I think he's got the backing of enough to survive if they ever did have a vote.

Would be happy for him to go btw but think it might be wishful thinking at this stage.

There are several problems here

1) Goodell was already under fire from public opinion for giving a punishment (2 game suspension) that was perceived as too lenient. He could have weathered this if the video had never been released. I fully believe that he saw the video and that people were paid so that the video would never be released. I believe indiscretions are routinely swept under the carpet to protect the investment owners have in their players, and this was no exception. But it was a BIG mistake to think the video would never get out.

2) Goodell overreacted when the video was finally released. This looks like a knee-jerk reaction response to somebody that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. So now the public opinion is that he saw the video and STILL only gave a 2 game suspension because he didn't believe the video would ever be released. The only reason a heavier punishment was meted out is because WE got to see the video.

3) There is the appearance of a massive cover up. First the NFL says they never got the video so never saw it. But now we have evidence that they had the video in April. And if they saw the video and only arrived at a 2 game suspension why punish him further when the only thing that changes is that WE got to see the video. The NFL claims they didn't NEED to see the video but once it was released additional punishment was meted out meaning they DID need to see the video.

Mean of power often throw employees to the wolves in a media storm ... this will be no exception.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info. So basically since he only knocked her out and didn't break her jaw, orbital bone or other serious injury they let you off with probation or some intervention. I guess getting hit so hard you are knocked unconscious doesn't count as a serious injury.

I read this in another story about the Atlantic County prosecutor and it was in a comment on the linked article

"Yet the Atlantic County prosecutor is going to try to throw a single mom into prison for 3 1/2 years because she mistakenly believed her PA concealed carry permit was valid in NJ. She should be getting PTI and Ray should be doing some time"

He forgot to mention that he was plied by Ravens and NFL officials to please go easy on our guy.

Thanks for the info. So basically since he only knocked her out and didn't break her jaw, orbital bone or other serious injury they let you off with probation or some intervention. I guess getting hit so hard you are knocked unconscious doesn't count as a serious injury.

I read this in another story about the Atlantic County prosecutor and it was in a comment on the linked article

"Yet the Atlantic County prosecutor is going to try to throw a single mom into prison for 3 1/2 years because she mistakenly believed her PA concealed carry permit was valid in NJ. She should be getting PTI and Ray should be doing some time"

He forgot to mention that he was plied by Ravens and NFL officials to please go easy on our guy.

Yeah I don't really agree with some of his points but wanted to provide the article...I read another source too that did say his explanation did make sense.

I'm not sure what to think honestly. I'm no lawyer.

An independent panel is required for determining punishment so consistency and objectivity can be established. It is inconsistent that the 2nd time you punch your domestic partner you are done for life but you can drive drunk, kill your team mate, go to jail and you can get your job back after you get out of jail.

The severity of the punishment should not be determined by the vehemence of the public reaction.

I'm beginning to wonder when the entire disciplinary policy becomes no longer sustainable. Even with a move to an independent panel, there is always going to be something/someone to feed the masses their desired negative media. Whether its Rice this year, Incognito last, or Hernandez, Vick, Ray Ray, Carruth, something is always present. I agreed with the actions being taken by Goodell early on to reduce the thug life mentality that was becoming more prevalent in the league under Taglibue's watch. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to just make a blanket rule/punishment for any player charged and/or convicted with a felony (and probably certain misdemeanors) to place the onus back on to the courts/government and away from the NFL.

We should not be looking to the NFL to supply justice for a crime.

• Like 1

no one is bigger than the machine

goodell will be replaced if it cools off the masses

rice will likely do some jail time (and rightly so)

if rice loses his signing bonus and isnt reinstated within a year or 2 his wife will likely split

at the end of the day the NFL will continue to print money and we'll wait and see who the next big talent - small brained

athlete to screw up is

no one is bigger than the machine

goodell will be replaced if it cools off the masses

rice will likely do some jail time (and rightly so)

if rice loses his signing bonus and isnt reinstated within a year or 2 his wife will likely split

at the end of the day the NFL will continue to print money and we'll wait and see who the next big talent - small brained

athlete to screw up is

Curious why you believe the bolded? The prosecutor saw the video, and has already released a statement explaining why he was not given a harsher penalty? Do you believe the public outcry will somehow force their hand? Double jeopardy would prevent them from prosecuting him again. So how is it will serve jail time.

Otherwise I agree with what you said.

Listening to francesa at lunch today I'm surprised he is so convinced Goodell keeps his job. He and many others are convinced that someone will take the fall and Goodell stays in place. Even if someone did say "yeah I screwed up and never passed the tape up the food chain"...is anyone gonna believe that? Seems like the only course of action is to have Goodell resign. Otherwise the honda storm will continue.

And yes francesa is a blow hard, so his opinion means that Goodell will be out before kick off tonight. The ultimate mush.

The VM message confirms the NFL received the tape and it was viewed. How is that not proof?

As I said before, the NFL Security team is all former police officers and FBI agents. To think they didn't share the tape with the NFL is preposterous.

Remember, this isn't a court of law that Goodell will be judged in, it is the court of public opinion. The VM message is enough to prove one of two things:

1) Goodell was in possession of the tape before any suspension took place. Not only does that make him look like a horrible person, but also a liar as he denied it repeatedly the other day.

2) The NFL got the tape but Goodell never was notified. This would show how incompetent he has run the NFL office if his own people are not giving him vital information to protect the league and its owners.

Either way he has proven himself incapable of protecting the owners and the NFL's image. The owners will not stand for it and can find someone else who is just as capable of bringing in the money (that's the easy part of being the commissioner of the number one sport in the country, and don't think the owners aren't well aware of that) that won't keep getting egg on their face.

Edited by sausagekingchi

The VM message confirms the NFL received the tape and it was viewed. How is that not proof?

As I said before, the NFL Security team is all former police officers and FBI agents. To think they didn't share the tape with the NFL is preposterous.

Remember, this isn't a court of law that Goodell will be judged in, it is the court of public opinion. The VM message is enough to prove one of two things:

1) Goodell was in possession of the tape before any suspension took place. Not only does that make him look like a horrible person, but also a liar as he denied it repeatedly the other day.

2) The NFL got the tape but Goodell never was notified. This would show how incompetent he has run the NFL office if his own people are not giving him vital information to protect the league and its owners.

Either way he has proven incapable of protecting the owners and the NFL's image. The owners will not stand for it and can find someone else who is just as capable of bringing in the money (that's the easy part of being the commissioner of the number one sport in the country, and don't think the owners aren't well aware of that) that won't keep getting egg on their face.

Also doesn't help Goodell that he has ruled with an iron fist. Sean Payton is probably loving every second of this.