[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

loaf

So I am the only one who doesn't know what a switch is? :huh:

listening to some guys on the radio, they say it's a thing of the South, they explained it as a flexible tree branch. Like a cane, kind of.. They said it's the southern equivalent of a belt Edited by Shorttynaz

Off topic: What is with all the pro spanking? You guys do know that it is not only possible, but also easy to raise kids without physical punishment?

^^This. Really, my 7 year daughter has exemplary behavior (praise in school and in public) and has never needed to be physically disciplined. She's never even had a time out!

On Topic: This will have to make its way through the courts before a suspension comes down. Of course this assumes the event wasn't caught on tape

• Like 1

If every parent that took a paddle to their kids arse were to be arrested, the country would come to a stand still and we would have to convert every city to a prison. My mom took a belt to me a few times and you know what? Not only did I deserve it, but I turned out just fine. I guess she would be in prison now.

• Like 1

I remember the good old days - when all you had to worry about was injury or non-performance taking your guy down. Now I hav to predict who is on drugs, who is going to be arrested, and who is going to get a concussion and be sat down.

• Like 4

Take a look at this... if the info and pics are true this is abuse. I've had switches used on me as a kid an not once did I ever have more than a red mark that went away shortly.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

All questions should be directed to Peterson's atty, who is currently out of the country. He was like eff this! I don't want a part of it this week..

Off topic: What is with all the pro spanking? You guys do know that it is not only possible, but also easy to raise kids without physical punishment?

On topic: AP will be fine. Goodell wouldn't dare suspending him for let's say 2 games right now.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.... Anyway, if he does sit, who is to say they wouldn't get even more creative with the use of Patterson at tailback more....Norv is crafty

Take a look at this... if the info and pics are true this is abuse. I've had switches used on me as a kid an not once did I ever have more than a red mark that went away shortly.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

You don't hit a 4 year old. End of story and end of discussion and if you think otherwise you are out of your damn mind!

Adrian Peterson is a piece if honda in my opinion and he deserve any punishment given too him. What a worthless human being!

• Like 3

LOL papajohn, what a poon. I've had to spank my 4 year old with a belt because spanking with my hand didn't hurt him any more. all kids are different and some can take more than others. You've obviously never had kids, that, or you raised some little powder puffs.

^^This. Really, my 7 year daughter has exemplary behavior (praise in school and in public) and has never needed to be physically disciplined. She's never even had a time out!

On Topic: This will have to make its way through the courts before a suspension comes down. Of course this assumes the event wasn't caught on tape

Spare the rod, and spoil the child. Look it up.

If those pictures are real then the NFL will have to do something. You can't break skin in any situation, that is way out of hand...but I am not above a good spanking like PapaJohn is...there is a difference between spanking and beating

Edited by dope man
  • Like 1

LOL papajohn, what a poon. I've had to spank my 4 year old with a belt because spanking with my hand didn't hurt him any more. all kids are different and some can take more than others. You've obviously never had kids, that, or you raised some little powder puffs.

Cultural differences. Vi don't hit children in Denmark or in Scandinavia for that matter. But if you have to hit your children with belts in order to "raise" them, then you aren't raising a damn thing. And the fact that you think the opposite of not hitting children is raising powder puffs is just so far out.

• Like 3

Apparently he was hitting him from behind and the switch was wrapping around and getting the kid on the thigh. He didn't realize until after. So how hard was he hitting him that those are the secondary injuries, and how in control of himself was he if he didn't realize until later that he was cutting the kid on the leg? Terrible.

We'll, I don't really care for this discussion as it will never end in anything but agree to disagree and a lot of bad words.

I will, however, say that 60 years ago it was common for husbands to hit their wifes if they were out of line. I think we can all agree that it not acceptable.

• Like 2

This is getting interesting on a number of levels.....

Timing couldn't be more touchy with the Court of Opinion at a heightened state...

So where is the line legally when a wife won't press charges on a video-taped knock out or a photographed discipline gone possibly overboard?

Where is it morally?

And where should those lines be for those in the public eye?

Really interesting philosophical, cultural and ethical questions here. Maybe even socioeconomic undertones.

I expect this fine forum not to devolve into anything other than intelligent observation and respectful debate.

Edited by Butkus

I've never once, ever, hit my children. One is 18 and one is 15. Neither has been in any trouble and I'm consistently complimented on their behavior. And really, people are defending a parent who hit his four-year-old child hard enough with a switch to break skin? In several different places? Really?

• Like 1

I've never once, ever, hit my children. One is 18 and one is 15. Neither has been in any trouble and I'm consistently complimented on their behavior. And really, people are defending a parent who hit his four-year-old child hard enough with a switch to break skin? In several different places? Really?

Yeah major difference between a "spanking" over a kids clothes compared to this. Those cuts on the kid look pretty bad. For the record, my mom did spank me a few times as a kid. I don't object to it in the traditional sense.

Just going to share my :2cents: since my upbringing involved both sides of this debate.

My mother whipped me with belts and hangers. When I cursed she would put soap in my mouth. Her upbringing was worse - if they reached across the table for food they would get the pointed end of a fork. That being said, I never feared my other. I hated to get punished but it never stopped me from getting into trouble.

My father on the other hand never touched me. As far back as I can remember not one single occasion. However, I was deathly afraid of him. His demeanor, the way he spoke, how loud he would get, the look in his eyes -- all scared the sh*t out of me. And I stayed away from trouble as much as I could when I was with him.

I agree with Papajohn that physical discipline is not a necessity. But I should think it is not the only way to discipline your child.

Now I hate to play the devils advocate here but on the same token, I don't see a problem with using belts and whatnot to spank your child, if that's the way you see fit. And I do believe society has gotten extremely soft. I just don't think it's absolutely necessary. There are other ways to go about it.

• Like 1