[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benching Charles... Who's with me?

Grenaid

No, I'm not talking about benching him for the rest of the season and having him take up my roster spot because of a week 1 flop. I didn't go into panic mode either. That's irrational and pointless half the time. But let's be honest, the Chiefs' offensive line is dropping like flies, their QB situation doesn't cheer us up, and neither does anything else on their team. It's either time to trade him away or treat him as a week to week fill-in. Simple as that. There were people that stayed away from him, like me in 4 of my other leagues, but the 5th one I said 'what the hell' and took him to change things up a bit. Benching him seems only logical if you think you have good back-ups.

That being said, this is very situational. For example, we start two RBs and 2 FLEXs. I had Charles and Bernard at RB, Bell and E. Sanders at FLEX. So, I switched Bell into the RB1 and Charles at FLEX so I can decide throughout the weekend what I want to do. I have Michael Floyd and T.Y. Hilton on my bench. They're playing crappy defenses, they're good players, good offenses, sound QBs, so I'm thinking they score more than Charles. Maybe not, but Charles being the only weapon on the Chiefs playing against Denver.. not really liking it a whole lot. Even with Bowe coming back. I like Floyds chances just a little more, so I'm going to put him in. Point is, who else has the stones to put your #1 pick on the bench so early? It is fantasy, nobody said your first pick was a lock to get 20 points per game. Hopefully I'm wrong so we can start trusting Charles with all our hearts again.

I still will never understand why great players are "guaranteed" a set amount of points each week, no matter what team they're on, who they're facing, or any other constraints like that. It's like on and off weeks or bad weeks or OK weeks don't exist for first round players. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and he has a 100 yd game with 2 TDs. But with him being the only threat Denver has to worry about and him being on a mediocre offense, it's tough to say he's guaranteed to do amazing, especially 40 points in one week.

Na you should bench him for a week. After last weeks performance you really need to show him that is completely unacceptable. Benching him for a game will surely teach him the lesson he needs to perform at his absolute best going forward through the season.

• Like 3

Na you should bench him for a week. After last weeks performance you really need to show him that is completely unacceptable. Benching him for a game will surely teach him the lesson he needs to perform at his absolute best going forward through the season.

I enjoyed this.

I get the concern with Charles - if you think you have someone else on your roster who'll score more points this week then go for it. Thing is I don't know too many FFL teams that successfully compete with their RB1 on the bench. Sounds to me like you might need to trade Charles off your team if that's the way you feel.

Charles is going to see alot of action this week and the Denver defense is not Seattle, as Indy proved last week.

Yeah, you go ahead and bench him. That'll teach him. When he goes off for 50 and you lose by 10, you be sure to let us know how you feel about the lesson you taught him.

The guy came here looking fOR advice and he has to be made a dick out of? Hes got legit concerns, bad OL, BAD OFFENSE, FACING TOUGH d , my caps lock on. I think you sit him this week if you have better options. Youre in a bad situation and I say he lays another egg, Hes not matchup proof, its a bad scene outthere

I still will never understand why great players are "guaranteed" a set amount of points each week, no matter what team they're on, who they're facing, or any other constraints like that. It's like on and off weeks or bad weeks or OK weeks don't exist for first round players. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and he has a 100 yd game with 2 TDs. But with him being the only threat Denver has to worry about and him being on a mediocre offense, it's tough to say he's guaranteed to do amazing, especially 40 points in one week.

Charles has shown on many occasions that he can produce huge amounts of points while on a crappy offense. Hell, he's had big games on bad teams as the minority in a timeshare. If he's playing, he's starting for me, no second thought about it.

They used to question Megatron a few years back when he was constantly being doubled up every week. He would have games with 2 catches. Then people would bench him and he would go 10-160-2. You always start your stars.

Charles will have an incredible week. He only had. 7 carries last week . Even Reid said he underutilized Charles last week. He won't make the same mistake again especially as they try to keep up with Denver's offense.

If you really feel so down on him after one week, trading him will give you more value than benching him. But I would stick with him and enjoy the ride

Edited by Wiseman155

A lot of the negative responses in here are from Charles owners. Denver is prolly going to go up big in this game. They may let him have 6 yards a carry just to kill the clock, so that could be a good thing. You can't bench Charles if you don't have better options, but there are better options IMO. If you only have to start one RB and you have a better WR/TE option, it may be the difference between winning and losing.. just sayin'.

A lot of the negative responses in here are from Charles owners. Denver is prolly going to go up big in this game. They may let him have 6 yards a carry just to kill the clock, so that could be a good thing. You can't bench Charles if you don't have better options, but there are better options IMO. If you only have to start one RB and you have a better WR/TE option, it may be the difference between winning and losing.. just sayin'.

Yeah I see charles coming up w some big numbers once this game is out of reach. Look at antonio brown the other night. I was surprised he was even in on that last drive down 3 scores, especially after leaving early on for a possible concussion. What happens? 3 more catches for 50 yards, bumping his production from around 6 points or so to 15 in a ppr. I'd start charles if I owned him

I know this is last year but Charles had 35/171/1 rushing in 2 games against the Broncos. They will feed him the ball.

Some think last year means squat. I tend to look at numbers like that and view it as a positive for most players. However I think in this case these are almost two different teams. Denver d is filled with a lot of new personnel. Chiefs offense is severely hampered by injuries. In this case I don't think it's the best indicator but for whatever reason, regardless of the circumstances some guys just have a teams number.

he's the bell cow. Denver knows it. We know that Denver knows it. The Chiefs know that Denver knows it. The Chiefs will still feed him the ball enough to make him worth the play. You can't sit him this week. A divisional game.

Damn, didn't think I'd spark this much debate. All good responses, except for the few smartasses that didn't read the first two sentences of my original post. This is fantasy football, and last time I checked, it's gambling. Every week, every player is a gamble. Some are safer bets than others, but that doesn't mean they're 100% guaranteed. Joebirds55 said it best. These are two entirely different teams, yet we're somehow relating the numbers last year as if nothing happened in the off-season. Last year, everybody would've given me the same scrutiny for benching Doug Martin or Trent Richardson the first couple weeks. Not saying they're even comparable to Charles now, but before the season started last year, everybody would've thought they were. As I said after every single one of my posts, I hope I'm wrong and he goes off for 25 points.

Your problem is that you have a pessimistic outlook on the situation. I see any obstacle for the team as a whole to as an opportunity for Charles to either get more carries, targets, playing time, etcetera. The fact is that Charles is the team, and with the talent he has. (Above and beyond any RB in league) I don't care if they play Seattle. But you might as well trade him now because you will continue to second guess yourself as long ad you have a pessimistic outlook.

The guy came here looking fOR advice and he has to be made a dick out of? Hes got legit concerns, bad OL, BAD OFFENSE, FACING TOUGH d , my caps lock on. I think you sit him this week if you have better options. Youre in a bad situation and I say he lays another egg, Hes not matchup proof, its a bad scene outthere

Ok, your right. I was being a smart a$$. No reason to bet butt hurt over it though. Seriously though, the question is rather rash given it is week 2. I mean come on, who seriously benches the guy that won championships last year for almost every team that owned him. Week 2. Now if you have the option of say McCoy, Forte, or prior today AP then yeah maybe consider it. So you can see why I was a bit sarcastic in the post. He earned the right to have one back week don't you think. Now if he lays an egg in week two I could see this post being more relevant. But after week 1. Sorry I don't see it.

Ok, your right. I was being a smart a$$. No reason to bet butt hurt over it though. Seriously though, the question is rather rash given it is week 2. I mean come on, who seriously benches the guy that won championships last year for almost every team that owned him. Week 2. Now if you have the option of say McCoy, Forte, or prior today AP then yeah maybe consider it. So you can see why I was a bit sarcastic in the post. He earned the right to have one back week don't you think. Now if he lays an egg in week two I could see this post being more relevant. But after week 1. Sorry I don't see it.

Completely agree. After week 2 I would start considering it but I would probably give him till week 3 to actually start showing a linear regression ( trend ) before I decided to pull any plug.