[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

is it a disadvantage to be the league commish?

Papa Deuce

Just curious what you think.

I tend to think it might be to a small degree. Our commish finishes close to last every year, and has never won the league except once - the year Brady went nuts.

I feel like maybe he gets distracted and gets off his game during the draft.

BTW, I think this is our 25th year together. We have one other guy who was in it all that time who has never won, but you can see why he loses..... he loads up on Cowboys. He's been know to start 4 of them in a game.

What do you think?

Never been commish but could see why. Could be reluctant to swing certain moves with the thought of "yeah this will look like I'm doing something fishy". But in my main league I 150% trust our commish so I'd never consider him doing something stupid that could snowball into ruining longtime friendships.

Idk I guess it could be a disadvantage though.

I've Commished my local since '97. No one looks at me as the Commish during our in-person draft. Just another Owner. I draft my team as every other Owner does. I haven't won many Championships but not because I'm the Commish...Injuries and bad drafts have more to say to that

I commish 3 leagues, a redraft, keeper, and dynasty since 2003, 1994, and 2009 respectively. I've won my fair share in the redraft and keeper leagues.

But to be a good commissioner, you really need to put the league first in the off season. While other owners are talking trades when trading opens I'm making sure the draft date works for everyone, or the schedule is done. Draft order, trades, even just updating the dates in the constitution. Learning the new changes to the league engine.

Answering questions and reading through the rules to make them better or fix past issues. Compiling proposals for rules changes it goes on and on.

Occasionally it's nice to be the commish, when someone asks a question about a rule or someone's contact info you can sometimes gauge who they are looking to trade and if you start up a conversation you can make a deal. I also felt back in the day having to go through each box score in the paper I was really up on a lot more players than most owners. I don't feel that way now all the time.

In season now, I don't think it's such a big hinderance to commish. Pre-season yes, but most leagues run themselves 85% of the time in season.

• Like 1

it's only a disadvantage when teams "act up" and start doing stupid crap. Being out of it and dropping players out of spite. Collusion. Leaving roster spots vacant. Not paying (hey man I'm good for it ... this especially sucked during the great recession "in this economy" of 2008). Other teams want the commish to "do something" even during the most minor of disagreements. That's garbage I don't have time for.

Yet, over the offseasons, memories fade, and I always send out the welcome back email around August 1st. Usually there's one or two prior owners who don't get the email and two newbies who do.

Edited by WildTurkey

I have been in leagues where the commish finishes last or next to last every year. I have commished my local since 2001 and have had 1 bad year....and one year where I just missed the playoffs....

I feel like I am more dialed into that particular league because I am the commish...and am more privy to trading there as well because I am constantly looking at the teams and making sure everything is being handled properly.

some people are not cut out to be commish and their focus on their own team suffers....it depends on the owner and more importantly....luck....but you can tip the scales in your favor as far as luck goes by how you handle your preparation before the season and during as well...

When the actual draft starts it's fairly easy and the commissioner can with-in reason, control the speed of the draft. Live draft of course...

Slow it down to get caught up and highlight a couple targets still remaining.

Of course they might just suck.

We live draft in 5 hours. I input all the picks in the live draft room except for the other 3 or 4 owners who also put their picks in.

it is impossible to view the draft board and look how teams around you have needs. Yes, it is a disadvantage.

I do not think it is one major proportions.