[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dreaded Thursday Night Game....with Doug Martin

Fig19

So what are everyone's thoughts on Doug Martin this week?

He looks terrible and is coming off an injury with Rainey filling in nicely. Not a big fan of Thursday night games either, but I also have Matty Ice starting, so we shall see what happens.

I have Gore, Jennings, and West, as well, so i'm thinking of benching Martin, but the matchup is so good.

Who is starting Martin?

I'm very tempted to start him this Thursday and here is why:

1. The Bucs used Martins injury last week as an excuse to start Rainey after Martin stunk it up. As a result of Rainey going off, Martin understands they are completely capable of running the ball in his absence. This should have done everything to light whatever fire is left within him.

2. This is a short week: this will be the Bucs excuse to let Martin carry the load, because he will be fresh after an 11 day layoff whereas Rainey just logged significant playing time 4 days prior.

3. The Falcons have been horrible against the run this year.

The stage is set for Martin to prove himself on Thursday. If he lays another egg it seems almost probable at this point that they would hand over the reins to Rainey for the rest of the season, RBBC at best.

He played with the first team offense today in practice, and unless reports surface that he will play behind Rainey, I am starting him.

I would hate to have to rely on Martin or Rainey on Thursday night or Sunday afternoon or Sunday night or Monday night. Why? Because as long as both are viable options for the coaching staff I can't count on a word that comes from the TBB coaching staff or organization. TBB is going to do what they see fit and will not necessarily feel the need to share the truth with the world on their true intentions. For this reason, while Rainey was on my waiver wire radar this week, there were other players first up in my list.

I would hate to have to rely on Martin or Rainey on Thursday night or Sunday afternoon or Sunday night or Monday night. Why? Because as long as both are viable options for the coaching staff I can't count on a word that comes from the TBB coaching staff or organization. TBB is going to do what they see fit and will not necessarily feel the need to share the truth with the world on their true intentions. For this reason, while Rainey was on my waiver wire radar this week, there were other players first up in my list.

Make me an offer. :brow:

Its very likely may already be Rainey's job. Martin practiced with the first team but his reps were limited. Doug Martin is a poor blocker, and the coaching staff and front office have no ties to him. He has only played well his rookie year, and his numbers were skewed by a few huge games.

He has only played well his rookie year, and his numbers were skewed by a few huge games.

People keep saying this but I don't feel it's a fair analysis. He had 5 games with 125+ yards, and another just below the 100 mark. You take away his 251 yard rushing day (which is unfair from the get), he still averages 4+ YPC and has 8 total TD's. And it could also be said that last years numbers were skewed by a couple a bad games. If you look at the numbers, out of the 6 games he played, in only 2 of them did he average under 4.2 YPC and against solid run defenses. Those 2 games lowered his average to 3.6 YPC.

I'm not saying he's good or bad, just that the numbers suggest he is pretty good.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I want to play Pierce or Martin. It's such a juicy matchup. he shoould be able to come away with a score and some yards, right? Pierce's matchup isnt exactly a walk in the park.

My opponent this week lost Matthews and picked up Rainey while I grabbed Brown. This should get interesting

I don't know what I was thinking when I drafted Martin, but luckily was able to pick up Rainey. But to make things a little more interesting, I have Ellington (AZ) to fill that spot as well. I'm thinking out of the bunch, Rainey might be the guy this week. What would you do? Martin, Rainey, or Ellington

ellington

I don't know what I was thinking when I drafted Martin, but luckily was able to pick up Rainey. But to make things a little more interesting, I have Ellington (AZ) to fill that spot as well. I'm thinking out of the bunch, Rainey might be the guy this week. What would you do? Martin, Rainey, or Ellington

Ellington

I'm not saying he's good or bad, just that the numbers suggest he is pretty good.

You're right, I was embellishing a bit. To be fair, Martin is a very talented runner. If he loses significant playing time it will be because of his pass protection.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/9/11/6136239/doug-martin-benched-for-pass-protection-looked-stiff

I'm not sure how true it is, but the game tape does not lie. Poor pass protection has been the kiss of death for many a talented runner. One things for sure, Lovie has always been tricksy in his media relations.