[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver wire order

Grits and Shins

When my local started we used pure fcfs which meant players could be picked up at any time. Because we all decided we had lives we implemented a waiver wire system. Free agency freezes after the kick off of the last Monday night game of the week. Once fcfs is frozen owners enter their picks and waivers are processed in worst to first order Tuesday morning at 10:00 am cst. Only 1 player can be acquired by an owner in the worst to first waivers. After waivers are processed fcfs opens up.

I have one owner that bitches at me every year that he hates the worst to first, especially after week 1. He feels like it always penalizes him for strong drafts and coming out if the gate strong. Furthermore, he believes that championship teams are not drafted but made in free agency (I agree). So he feels like the whole worst to first penalizes him more than most and prevents him from doing well in the playoffs.

Thoughts?

I do not believe my owners would go for a blind bid system, short of that I am not aware of another approach (that can be processed automatically by MFL).

tell him to throw the first game every year. This way he uses his great draft and the #1 WW position week 1 and all he is doing is spotting half the league 1 game. Otherwise the only system that is fair and consistent is last to first. It is not fair or consistent to have a WW system for the first week or so and then change it.

I have to agree that team management throughout the season is way more important than drafting. And blind bid waivers seems to be the only solution that allows for owners to have more freedom to decide on which free agent(s) they want to target. It's similar to how an auction draft allows team owners to decide for themselves who they want and who they don't and then go out and get the guys they wan if they are willing to pay for them. I always wondered why blind bid was so much more popular than open bid for this reason - blind bid is a guess at value, open bid is pretty much setting the value.

I have to agree that team management throughout the season is way more important than drafting. And blind bid waivers seems to be the only solution that allows for owners to have more freedom to decide on which free agent(s) they want to target. It's similar to how an auction draft allows team owners to decide for themselves who they want and who they don't and then go out and get the guys they wan if they are willing to pay for them. I always wondered why blind bid was so much more popular than open bid for this reason - blind bid is a guess at value, open bid is pretty much setting the value.

If there was something that was fair to good team and managers I'd love to know it to. I get screwed every year with the worst to first and rolling waivers with my work and neighborhood league. They would never comprehend BBids.

If there was something that was fair to good team and managers I'd love to know it to. I get screwed every year with the worst to first and rolling waivers with my work and neighborhood league. They would never comprehend BBids.

We converted a local last yr and a lot of guys were very hesitant to do so. It's worked out great, everyone likes it. Its not that hard :lol:

Worst to first is fn awful

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

We have used worst to first waivers since changing from FCFS. Many years my team doesn't start well and I've benefited. Other years (like this one) I start out good (2-0) and have little chance to get players that could really help me. I don't even bother putting in a claim for a guy like Forsett after week 1 because I'm at 10 of 12 in the list.

Like most leagues our WW order resets every week. I know some do what is called rolling waiver, where it doesn't reset, or not every week. This is something I'm going to suggest for our league, maybe we only reset WW order every 2 weeks. So after week 1 it is set based on standings, then resets again after week 3. That way if teams near the bottom of the order don't make a move one week and many other teams do, they'd be at the top of the list the following week.

Anybody else do something like that, or have feedback on it? I'm not even sure the league site can handle this, and that would be a key part, because setting waiver order manually is extra work and if not done properly creates havoc.

In my reg league we use a blind bid system with luxury tax option. You can re-up your cap for half the league entry fee but never exceed the cap ceiling. The initial cap ceiling starts slightly higher than you can re-up, allowing those owners who haven't made their 1st transaction yet to bid over the top (if they go all in) of someone more active...in the rare event there is game changing free agent available...

It works well for us.

Never really thought of mixing two system styles. IE a serpentine draft with last to first WW or Auction Draft with Blind Bidding. Mixing a serpentine draft with blind bidding?

Many of my leagues have a serpentine draft and then use blind bidding for waivers.... it's also how the majority of the "high stakes" leagues are run. After the draft, every team has X amount of dollars to bid on free agents. In FFPC, it is $1000. Once you spend it all though, no more free agents. And, much like an auction draft, some owners go big early (ie in one of my leagues, a guy spent $477 on Brown this week... another $420 on Niles Paul), and some prefer to budget their money a bit more over the course of the season.

worst to first is the best method. No team that is sucking could ever bitch about not having a fair shot at improving.

Very true that full season roster management is key to success.

Instead of the guy complaining, he should use his research and resources to find other players instead of just relying on end of the week results. :pc:

There is plenty of news and (Huddler's) that offer insight above just after weekly results. There is no crying of FFL :nono:

worst to first is the best method. No team that is sucking could ever bitch about not having a fair shot at improving.

Very true that full season roster management is key to success.

Instead of the guy complaining, he should use his research and resources to find other players instead of just relying on end of the week results. :pc:

There is plenty of news and (Huddler's) that offer insight above just after weekly results. There is no crying of FFL :nono:

It is not about relying on end of week results ... it is about getting players of opportunity ... this week there were plenty of players of opportunity that will be filling in for injured players for extended periods. This particular owner drafted 3 RBs - Bell, Moreno, Mathews ... so the deeper you are in the waiver wire order the less your changes of picking up one of the players of opportunity.

This owner was a bit conflicted last week as well. In my local we lost an owner right before draft so him and I split the cost of the team and are co-managing the team. Last week it was the co-owned team vs his team - so that put me in charge of setting the starting lineup and free agent acquisitions. The shared team went into Monday night's game needing only 13 points from Shady to get the weekly high score and defeat him. So he WANTED his team to win but if his team wins he drops to 12th in first to worst waiver wire order and likely doesn't get any of the RBs to replace the ones he lost (Moreno and Mathews). If his team loses our shared team wins (and doesn't drop to 0-2) AND he moves up in the waiver wire order.

The "rolling" waivers system is a decent alternative. After the very first waivers run is determined (usually reverse of draft order if your first run is pre-Week 1, or reverse of Week 1 results if it's after), only those who use moves fall to the bottom (for the next week's order).

Not sure I explained that very well, but the rolling waivers system adds strategy. People often pass on waivers moves, taking a chance that they can still get their guy (or at least a decent option) through FCFS. In other words, they don't want to blow their waivers priority on a player who's not really worth it.

Much more "fair" than worst to first (doesn't penalize the teams atop the standings), but still more simple than blind bidding.

From the sounds of it, though, your guy would probably complain no matter what system you used.

The "rolling" waivers system is a decent alternative. After the very first waivers run is determined (usually reverse of draft order if your first run is pre-Week 1, or reverse of Week 1 results if it's after), only those who use moves fall to the bottom (for the next week's order).

Not sure I explained that very well, but the rolling waivers system adds strategy. People often pass on waivers moves, taking a chance that they can still get their guy (or at least a decent option) through FCFS. In other words, they don't want to blow their waivers priority on a player who's not really worth it.

Much more "fair" than worst to first (doesn't penalize the teams atop the standings), but still more simple than blind bidding.

From the sounds of it, though, your guy would probably complain no matter what system you used.

Yeah I like this system and always suggest it as an alternative to reverse standings but get out voted.

Yeah I like this system and always suggest it as an alternative to reverse standings but get out voted.

That is why I am thinking of proposing one where it resets (worst to first) every 2-3 weeks. That gives the bottom feeders a shot at players, but also allows winning teams some shots as well. Still not sure if the website (CBS) would handle it, or if our owners would have any interest in it.

That is why I am thinking of proposing one where it resets (worst to first) every 2-3 weeks. That gives the bottom feeders a shot at players, but also allows winning teams some shots as well. Still not sure if the website (CBS) would handle it, or if our owners would have any interest in it.

That's not a bad idea, might consider adding that to placate the mob.

This week wasnt bad because there were so many options on the WW that everyone who took part got someone potentially decent.

By "rolling waivers" I presume you mean it starts worst to first ... then as people make picks they roll to the bottom of the order? Can that be implemented in MFL?

I would think so, looks like CBS can do it, options are

- reset every week based on reverse order of standings

- never (always based on prior waiver run)

Not sure if we'd need to set it once, or maybe change it after the first run (before week 2 games).

Still have a feeling that resetting it every 1-2 weeks is less likely to be supported by a site.