[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeremy Hill

BA Baracus

So I own Hill in a few leagues already. That terrible week one kinda scared me a bit, but then week 2 was awesome. After seeing that the coaches are willing to give him a serious workload, I am starting to think that he is a strong buy across the board. I was a big fan of his before the NFL draft, and then became a huge fan when he landed in CIN. If he can get 15 touches per game, in what looks to be a successful offense, I think that he has a decent shot at low end RB2 production for the rest of the season. I'd say CIN definitely has the look of an offense that can support two very productive running backs. Gio and Jeremy complement each other really well also, so I don't see it as a self destructive timeshare, more like one that helps the offense keep the chains moving and thus increase the productivity of both players.

Anyone else high on Hill? Anyone hate him? Either way, why?

I own him in 6 out of 8 leagues. There appears to be volume to support to RBs in CIN, he has done well with his touches so far, some say he is a superior inside runner to Gio, and his value would skyrocket if Gio were injured. Need to probably get to week 4 to get a good read on how they will continue to use him, but I agree low-end RB2, high-end Flex appear likely.

I think that the key to Hill being successful is that the Bengals are a good team. If they get off game script, then it's going to become the Gio Bernard show really quick. I don't see any matchups on their schedule that look like they could be blown out, so I feel like Hill is going to be a threat for carries and TD's in most games.

I think that the key to Hill being successful is that the Bengals are a good team. If they get off game script, then it's going to become the Gio Bernard show really quick. I don't see any matchups on their schedule that look like they could be blown out, so I feel like Hill is going to be a threat for carries and TD's in most games.

As a Hill owner I've had him riding the pine but will start him this week. I agree with most of what you said but....I think the jury is still out on how exactly he's going to be used.

I agree that the Bengals being good is key. I think, though, that they have to be good and ahead in a game for Hill to get moderate or better usage. They won't get blown out, but if they're in a close contest like the Ravens game, then I wonder if they don't keep it with the more experienced Bernard. This would limit Hill's usage.

I would be happy to be wrong - just think we need a few more games before we can set the pattern.

Edited by stethant
  • Like 1

im in a 10 team high stakes ppr league....

my backs were lacy, ellington, moreno, ingram and hyde.....got hit by the injury bug hard last week......the guy who drafted hill got spooked by his week 1 useage and dropped him.....i bid and won hill for 135 of a FAAB with a 500 cap....knile davis went for 287 and khiry went for 209(i bid on him but alot less)...im hoarding all the backs...not dropping moreno or ingram......

i actually like hill as a rb 2 or flex play this week...tenn can be had on the ground and cincy is at home....and cincy has the type of defense that sets up well for the run game........bernard looks great....but hes on pace for 416 touches....and thats alot for just about any back...especially one that was backed up with a young, fresh legged, 2nd round pick like hill......i think this week they are going to try to keep gio relatively light in the touches provided the game situation allows it(although i could be wrong as they have a bye week coming up for some rest)......atlanta is not a good barometer as their defense is pretty bad.....but well see going forward...i bought in on hill and feel like i got a good price.....hoping for the best

I agree. Hill will always get something, but for a good game he needs CIN to get ahead to go much beyond Bernard.

I'm still formulating an opinion. Atlanta's defense makes most running games look like they could support both backs in a two back system. Based on how Hill is being used, he does not have a stranglehold on goal line work. At least not yet.

Gio had the only carry in week 1 that was even close to the Ravens' end zone (a 2 yard run from the BAL 12).

Against Atlanta, Hill busted off two big runs in a row on the Bengals' first TD drive to get to the Falcons' 8 yard line. Those runs followed a long Gio catch and run, which suggests that Gio was merely subbed out for a couple of plays because he was winded. After those two Hill runs, Gio got the next 4 carries in a row until he hit pay dirt.

On the drive in which Hill got the TD, Hill got all 6 of the carries that the Bengals had on that drive. The drive took place in the 3rd quarter with a 14 point lead, so it was hardly garbage time.

So I guess I'm not convinced that Hill has value against most opponents. Gio out touched Hill 32 to 17. It was a step in the right direction for Hill, but a 2:1 ratio probably won't make Hill a reliable play most weeks. If that ratio gets closer to 3:2, then maybe Hill has flex value. A 40 carry game for the bengals means 16 carries for Hill. However, there hasn't even been a team that has averaged more than 35 rushing attempts per game in a season since the 2009 NY Jets (37.7 rushes per game).

Plus, Hue Jackson isn't as run-oriented as one might think. In his previous stints as OC or head coach, only the Raiders in 2010-2011 were in the top 8 of the league in rushing attempts (think of the QB situation there, and it's clear why). In his previous two OC stints prior, his 2007 Falcons team finished 29th in the league in rushing attempts, and his 2003 Redskins team finished 24th in the league. Add to that the new rules that favor passing, and I just don't know that the run game can support two backs in most games in Cincy.

I'm still formulating an opinion. Atlanta's defense makes most running games look like they could support both backs in a two back system. Based on how Hill is being used, he does not have a stranglehold on goal line work. At least not yet.

Gio had the only carry in week 1 that was even close to the Ravens' end zone (a 2 yard run from the BAL 12).

Against Atlanta, Hill busted off two big runs in a row on the Bengals' first TD drive to get to the Falcons' 8 yard line. Those runs followed a long Gio catch and run, which suggests that Gio was merely subbed out for a couple of plays because he was winded. After those two Hill runs, Gio got the next 4 carries in a row until he hit pay dirt.

On the drive in which Hill got the TD, Hill got all 6 of the carries that the Bengals had on that drive. The drive took place in the 3rd quarter with a 14 point lead, so it was hardly garbage time.

So I guess I'm not convinced that Hill has value against most opponents. Gio out touched Hill 32 to 17. It was a step in the right direction for Hill, but a 2:1 ratio probably won't make Hill a reliable play most weeks. If that ratio gets closer to 3:2, then maybe Hill has flex value. A 40 carry game for the bengals means 16 carries for Hill. However, there hasn't even been a team that has averaged more than 35 rushing attempts per game in a season since the 2009 NY Jets (37.7 rushes per game).

Plus, Hue Jackson isn't as run-oriented as one might think. In his previous stints as OC or head coach, only the Raiders in 2010-2011 were in the top 8 of the league in rushing attempts (think of the QB situation there, and it's clear why). In his previous two OC stints prior, his 2007 Falcons team finished 29th in the league in rushing attempts, and his 2003 Redskins team finished 24th in the league. Add to that the new rules that favor passing, and I just don't know that the run game can support two backs in most games in Cincy.

i tend to agree....they arent going to keep the ball on the ground, the way they did last week, against most opponents......and bernard is not going to touch the ball 33 times a game....

my thing is this....i owned bernard last year and enjoyed it....but there were alot of frustrating games with him as far as running the ball.....and even last week was no different....but he had such volume that the yards came....but look back last year at some of his game logs....he had some downright frustrating games running the ball on 12-13 touches.....and he only averaged 3.3 on those 27 carries.....he wasnt much better the week before against baltimore....he didnt crack 4 yards a carry last year either....he just doesnt seem to be a consistent ypc runner......he usually salvages his day because he can pop one for 15-20 or more here and there(hey theres nothing wrong with that....thats how alot of backs have decent days)......dynamic "bounce" back that is deadly in the passing game and can pop a good run....but i think hill, already, may be the better more consistent down to down runner