[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Next up? Reggie Bush? More NFL idiocy.

Papa Deuce

from ABC News via Yahoo:

NFL star Reggie Bush told a radio call-in show that he disciplines his 1-year-old daughter, and one day could do so "harshly," as he came to the defense of fellow star Adrian Peterson's alleged parenting tactics.

The 29-year-old Detroit Lions running back made his comments during the "Boomer and Carton" radio show on New York's WFAN this morning.

"I most definitely discipline my daughter. I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her," he said. "Obviously, every person is different. I definitely will use my best judgment to discipline her depending on the situation, on what happens. I definitely will try to, will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on, again, on what the situation is."

Edited by Papa Deuce

Ugh...What in the hell is the point in 'disciplining' a one year old? Really Reggie? You think that she understands anything beyond the basic animal senses of fear, hunger, and comfort? People are f*cking idiots if they think that they can actually 'discipline' a child that young.

• Like 3

I stand corrected. I would agree that the first thing wrong with this is that he said anything at all. But I also agree with XFlash that it does not necessarily mean physical contact. Just want to clear that up.

. I agree that the timing is bad, also that what Reggie said was also open for interpretation. Actually he should have clarified a little bit more so as not to leave anything to negative conjecture. My post was about all the athletes coming out with these ridiculous statements that aren't well thought out and are doing them more harm than good. I wasn't talking about any posters

If he isn't hitting her why even mention leaving bruises? Also sounds more like a statement of what he'd do to not get caught than not leaving marks for some other reason.

As for the stupid comments and learning to keep your mouth shut or thinking before you speak, good luck with that. We have generations of people being raised that think every thought that pops into their head needs to be shared with the world.

• Like 1

Ugh...What in the hell is the point in 'disciplining' a one year old? Really Reggie? You think that she understands anything beyond the basic animal senses of fear, hunger, and comfort? People are f*cking idiots if they think that they can actually 'discipline' a child that young.

Yeah ... it works so much better to wait until they are 16 to discipline them ....

Yeah ... it works so much better to wait until they are 16 to discipline them ....

You are not seriously condoning disciplining a one year old are you? They know nothing, respond to almost nothing, and are completely helpless. Just wow.

• Like 2

You are not seriously condoning disciplining a one year old are you? They know nothing, respond to almost nothing, and are completely helpless. Just wow.

So please let us all in on what the magic age is when you begin to discipline your child and how you undo all the previous training you have given them that they are allowed to do whatever they want and get away with it ...

So please let us all in on what the magic age is when you begin to discipline your child and how you undo all the previous training you have given them that they are allowed to do whatever they want and get away with it ...

There is a time and place for everything. You are not "undoing" anything by not disciplining a one year old, common. There is no magic age, but 6-14 years old is the most influential time in a child's life. One year old is obviously too young and sixteen is never too late. But feel free to waste your time trying to get a one year old to do anything you say and actually remember it.

There is a time and place for everything. You are not "undoing" anything by not disciplining a one year old, common. There is no magic age, but 6-14 years old is the most influential time in a child's life. One year old is obviously too young and sixteen is never too late. But feel free to waste your time trying to get a one year old to do anything you say and actually remember it.

Yes I see parents trying to retrain their screaming 6 year old brats all the time. Funny how people discipline their puppies immediately but somehow think human children are too stupid to get it.

Far from funny^

There's a lot of people who are confused between discipline and power trippin' punishment tactics

Here's a good way to differentiate- effective disciple does not need to inflict physical pain, regardless of one's personality. If we are talking about a 1 year old- heads up- physical corrective techniques are not "discipline", it's punishment. Bruise or no bruise.

If one is too exhausted and/or uninformed, they often resort to brute force. This seems to end (not solve) short term conflicts, but will typically create significant long term conflicts.

• Like 3

You also have to keep in mind that the term "one year old" spans a pretty wide range, in terms of age. A 12-month-old baby is just starting to learn a lot of things, but they haven't figured most of them out yet. My son, on the other hand (who turned 2 in July), has understood the difference between right and wrong (for the most part) for the better part of a year or more.

Crankrayhanky said:

Yes, let's consider the span of a 1 year old to include toddlers who " know better" at 23months. Using common sense consequences and redirection is still the way to go, as opposed to whooping because you ran out of ideas on how to get them to bend to your will

Exactly. If you resort to physical discipline it only proves one thing: you aren't smart enough to get your lesson/message across. Your child is smarter than you so you need to show them how tough you are to make sure they know who the boss is.

So based on your analogy the moment the kid comes out of the birth canal you can start "disciplining" a kid. Wow!

You discipline a child when they are able to actually understand it. The cognitive reasoning has yet to develop in an infant. In fact, if you have a '7 year old' who is not mentally able to understand you don't discipline in certain ways. When they are able to reason to understand the consequences of their actions and WHY you are punishing them is when you begin to discipline.

I have 3 kids and have spanked all 3, the oldest one seemed to respond to it ok, but I found beating the other two did not work. In fact, my youngest son fed off it. So I tried other tactics and they worked.

Either way there isn't a one size fits all for every kid, those who say 'beat them today, beat them tomorrow, beat them forever' are mindless and narrow-minded in how they raise their kids as much as those who think timeout is the panacea to the ills of the world.

So based on your analogy the moment the kid comes out of the birth canal you can start "disciplining" a kid. Wow!

You discipline a child when they are able to actually understand it. The cognitive reasoning has yet to develop in an infant. In fact, if you have a '7 year old' who is not mentally able to understand you don't discipline in certain ways. When they are able to reason to understand the consequences of their actions and WHY you are punishing them is when you begin to discipline.

I have 3 kids and have spanked all 3, the oldest one seemed to respond to it ok, but I found beating the other two did not work. In fact, my youngest son fed off it. So I tried other tactics and they worked.

Either way there isn't a one size fits all for every kid, those who say 'beat them today, beat them tomorrow, beat them forever' are mindless and narrow-minded in how they raise their kids as much as those who think timeout is the panacea to the ills of the world.

Sorry but any time somebody uses terms like beat, whip, woop it always sounds harsh and borderline abusive IMHO. You started off saying spanked and moved on to using the term beat. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.