[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weekly Leagues vs Season Long

Patriots

I dont think so. Weekly is a good suppliment. But there is something more to playing a full season, through the playoffs and championships. The reward is bragging rights amongst friends/family/coworkers until the next season. Weekly is much more luck/gamling than season long. :2cents:

I don't think it will become the norm for leagues where it is a group of friends/family/coworkers etc., but I do think it will steal a fair piece of the share of the random internet leagues as it eliminates the people that draft a team and don't maintain it.... if you are drafting and paying for that week, you'll be involved for that week. Also adds a bit of instant gratification to the equation.

I just found out about it 2 weeks ago and quite enjoy it...I fear it will go the route of online sports books and poker, though...the Feds don't like you doing things with your money that they can't get a piece of as well

I just found out about it 2 weeks ago and quite enjoy it...I fear it will go the route of online sports books and poker, though...the Feds don't like you doing things with your money that they can't get a piece of as well

I think this is right. It's fundamentally different from the FFL league with your friends and really approximates gambling for all intents and purposes. The FFL league is about money too but in that context it's secondary to friendships, bragging rights, etc.

Could take awhile for the feds to catch up though. Online poker was around for quite awhile before the hammer came down.

I think this is right. It's fundamentally different from the FFL league with your friends and really approximates gambling for all intents and purposes. The FFL league is about money too but in that context it's secondary to friendships, bragging rights, etc.

Could take awhile for the feds to catch up though. Online poker was around for quite awhile before the hammer came down.

There was a ruling (I don't have it at my fingertips and my memory isn't the best) that deemed fantasy football a game of skill, hence why it isn't considered gambling. I believe it was the FSTA that was part of that fight and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there are/were some that feel DFS is gambling and don't like that it's riding on fantasy football's bus.

Does anyone have a sense of the annual revenue for DFS? My sense it is significant and skyrocketing. A true vitality measure for any business is the level of marketing spend. DFS ads are everywhere, and many cases, well done. Just consider the TV spots for The League. Those can't be cheap.

Also, IMO, the business model for weekly leagues lends itself to a longer revenue drip than annuals.

Overall, DFS may be significantly more profitable than annual FFL. If that is the case than it is here to stay, and quite possibly, lead the category.

Edited by wpayers