[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just have to share this

Scorcher

well it may seem crazy...but just looking at your sig...you start 2 rbs and 2 wrs...i dont even see a flex....even if you had a flex position....its likely this guy might have 3 or 4 startable wrs on his team anyway even after dropping smith.....so whatever his situation is...if hes winning...or desperate for a win....he might feel atl is gonna help him get a win this week whereas smith might be riding pine for the foreseeable future

well it may seem crazy...but just looking at your sig...you start 2 rbs and 2 wrs...i dont even see a flex....even if you had a flex position....its likely this guy might have 3 or 4 startable wrs on his team anyway even after dropping smith.....so whatever his situation is...if hes winning...or desperate for a win....he might feel atl is gonna help him get a win this week whereas smith might be riding pine for the foreseeable future

All good points, but I still find the move extreme. I doubt that in the long run Atlanta D will be more beneficial than Steve Smith who has already has 2 games for over 100 yds, I wouldn't have dropped a tradeable player.

Edited by Scorcher

All good points, but I still find the move extreme. I doubt that in the long run Atlanta D will be more beneficial than Steve Smith who has already has 2 games for over 100 yds, I wouldn't have dropped a tradeable player.

i hear ya...smith is def tradeable.....maybe he explored it...maybe not....and ya i dunno about the atl d in the long run...might have gotten a little excited about their performance last week....but theres always hester lol

• Like 1

every league is different, but I've been trying to trade Smith in one of mine..noones interested. At all

Smith had a big first week, and two average weeks. In a 10-team league, he would be a bench WR in Weeks 2 and 3. In other words, he's outside the top 20 in those weeks. Like others have mentioned, you only start 2 WR (with no flex), so although it may be odd to drop Smith, it's not like he's every-week starter material. If the guy felt that Week 1 was the anomaly, he probably felt that Smith was nothing more than a bench player going forward. And, in a 10-team league where only 20 WR's start, there should be plenty of waiver wire options to replace him.

But, I do agree that the ATL defense is probably not the best FA option out there in most leagues, much less a 10-teamer.

Smith had a big first week, and two average weeks. In a 10-team league, he would be a bench WR in Weeks 2 and 3. In other words, he's outside the top 20 in those weeks. Like others have mentioned, you only start 2 WR (with no flex), so although it may be odd to drop Smith, it's not like he's every-week starter material. If the guy felt that Week 1 was the anomaly, he probably felt that Smith was nothing more than a bench player going forward. And, in a 10-team league where only 20 WR's start, there should be plenty of waiver wire options to replace him.

13 in week 2 and 15 in week 3 is outside the top 20?

13 in week 2 and 15 in week 3 is outside the top 20?

20 wr's scored more than he did those wks huh? prove it

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but it really shouldn't be that hard to grasp. I checked 4 of my leagues (with various types of scoring), and Smith wasn't in the top 20 WR's in any of them (in Weeks 2 or 3). I can send you links to the leagues if you really want proof. :shrug:

PPR - #24 and #28

Partial PPR (0.5 PPR) - #25 and #26

No PPR - #40 and #33

1.5 PPR - #27 and #32

So, yeah, other than Week 1, Smith has been a bench WR (in a 10-team league where you only can start 2 WR). Of course, I don't play in any of those leagues (all of mine are 12-16 teams, where you can start at least 3 WR), so he would be starter material in any league I'm in. My point was simply that one could view Smith as a bench WR in that format. And, if rosters aren't terribly deep, I could easily see him being dropped for a greater need, given that you could likely find a similar WR on the waiver wire (to fill a bye week).

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but it really shouldn't be that hard to grasp. I checked 4 of my leagues (with various types of scoring), and Smith wasn't in the top 20 WR's in any of them (in Weeks 2 or 3). I can send you links to the leagues if you really want proof. :shrug:

PPR - #24 and #28

Partial PPR (0.5 PPR) - #25 and #26

No PPR - #40 and #33

1.5 PPR - #27 and #32

So, yeah, other than Week 1, Smith has been a bench WR (in a 10-team league where you only can start 2 WR). Of course, I don't play in any of those leagues (all of mine are 12-16 teams, where you can start at least 3 WR), so he would be starter material in any league I'm in. My point was simply that one could view Smith as a bench WR in that format. And, if rosters aren't terribly deep, I could easily see him being dropped for a greater need, given that you could likely find a similar WR on the waiver wire (to fill a bye week).

In the PPR you said I probably couldn't disagree with you more that he's not a starter based on stats. Looking at the links that stevegarb posted you're telling me that a guy that who finishes in the top 25 each week, (I understand that 20 WRs are starting in the context of this conversation), isn't a starter?

Fantasy is about consistency and points.

Week 2: Guys that finished above him that aren't started: James Jones, Austin, Avant, Randle

Week 3: Guys that finished above him that aren't started: Matthews, Brown, Kerley, S.Johnson, Royal...I'm leaving out Austin, Hawkins, and Hopkins where there could be a case made for but still.

When looking at the rankings you have to eliminate the outliers for guys that don't produce typically.

Based on 3 weeks of data he's starter in PPR.

• Like 1

In the PPR you said I probably couldn't disagree with you more that he's not a starter based on stats. Looking at the links that stevegarb posted you're telling me that a guy that who finishes in the top 25 each week, (I understand that 20 WRs are starting in the context of this conversation), isn't a starter?

Fantasy is about consistency and points.

Week 2: Guys that finished above him that aren't started: James Jones, Austin, Avant, Randle

Week 3: Guys that finished above him that aren't started: Matthews, Brown, Kerley, S.Johnson, Royal...I'm leaving out Austin, Hawkins, and Hopkins where there could be a case made for but still.

When looking at the rankings you have to eliminate the outliers for guys that don't produce typically.

Based on 3 weeks of data he's starter in PPR.

In a league that starts 20 WR? Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Now, I realize that it's not that simple (the top 20 scorers on any given week aren't going to be the 20 WR's that are in starting lineups). But, if you're going to point out the Avants, Kerleys, and Royals of Weeks 2 and 3, you have to look at the other side of that coin, as well. Here are some guys that I would most likely start over Steve Smith, on any given week, who scored less than him in those weeks:

Week 2:

Victor Cruz - I don't think this is even debatable.

Alshon Jeffery - Same

Vincent Jackson - Ditto

Roddy White - When healthy, it's not even close.

Cordarrelle Patterson - No way I'm starting Smith over him, purely based on the higher weekly ceiling.

TY Hilton - Upside is higher (better offense, and certainly more of a passing-oriented offense).

Keenan Allen - Ditto

Larry Fitzgerald - Might be debatable, given Fitz's start to the season, but given the trends in targets (Smith's are going down since Week 1, while Fitz's are going up), I think it's closer than it might appear (if you just look at numbers year-to-date).

I could go on... Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Wayne, Michael Floyd, Boldin, Hawkins, etc.

That's just Week 2. The list for Week 3 is pretty much the same... A lot of the same names, but some different ones (C Johnson, D Thomas, J Nelson, A Johnson, Cobb, Harvin, Welker, Decker, Wallace, etc.).

So, yeah... If I'm in a 10-team league that starts only 2 WR, there's no way in he11 that I want Steve Smith as my WR2. In other words, there will be 20+ better guys to start, on pretty much any given week. And, like I alluded to earlier, bench WR's in shallow leagues are easily replaceable from the waiver wire.

Personally, I own Smith in two dynasty leagues this year... One 12-team league, and another 16-team league. In both, I debated (in the off-season) whether or not to even keep him on my roster. But, given the new location, Baltimore not exactly having a firm WR2, and Torrey Smith (in my opinion) not being your typical WR1, I figured he was worth holding on to.

So, after Week 1, I was thrilled... A guy I had kept as my 5th/6th WR is putting up WR2 numbers. Then, after the past 2 weeks, he's fallen back to more realistic numbers/expectations. Still probably better than what I was (cautiously) expecting, so I'm glad I held on to him, but he's not a guy I'll start every week, most likely. In those leagues, he's still my 4th or 5th best WR. I'd probably be comfortable with him as my WR3, but I certainly wouldn't want him to be my WR2, even in a 16-team league.

Edited by Gopher

Maybe this will help, in this league, no flex, but I failed to mention that we start 3 WR's which would definitely make Smith a startable WR as well as tradeable.

That does make a difference (not sure why we were assuming only two starting WR?). Don't get me wrong... Like I said, Smith has been a pleasant surprise through 3 weeks, and if he's available, I would probably snag him if you need the WR help, just in case he maintains production close to what he has so far. All I'm saying (basically playing devil's advocate) is that it's not like he is a sure-fire every-week starter (at least in my opinion). My feeling is Week 1 is more of the anomaly, while Weeks 2-3 are closer to what we can expect on a weekly basis. He'll probably have another week similar to Week 1 somewhere... guessing which week is the tough part.

As for this week, who knows... Like somebody else said, he'll probably either have a huge game, or get ejected for fighting. :lol: