[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another "Strategy" Question

Skarzon

I will start off by saying that I am not going to do this, for a couple reasons, but I was curious as to other's thoughts.

Would you bench a player in a Monday night game if you already had the game won, but just barely?

Scenario, I am up but 1.10 points going into tonight's game. My opponent is done, all his players finished on Sunday and I have Edelman tonight.

Edelman could catch a short pass, fumble, get hurt and cost me the victory. (Which would be par for the course for me in this league so far).

Would you bench him and take a 1.1 point assured victory?

Again, I'm not going to do this as total points determine tie breakers and I think it's kinda a honda thing to do...I also think this would anger the Fantasy Football Gods and would result in a stat correction of 1.6 points.

Based on the total content of your post I don't understand why you are asking. I wouldn't do it, I would go for all the points I could get. Also a defense stat correction could erase a small lead like that in a hurry.

Edited by Scorcher

Based on the total content of your post I don't understand why you are asking.

Just curious to see what others think. What would you think if your opponent benched a player to ensure the win? First time I've been in this situation and just thought others might have been there too. It wouldn't bother me, but it might result in a few jabs at the end of season party and it's definitely pushing your luck with the FF gods.

If I somehow knew the victory would be 100% guaranteed (aka. stat corrections were not possible) I would do it in a heart beat and I would expect any of my opponents to do the same.

I don't see this as anything bogus or shady as it is just a lucky break from your draft or waiver wire pickup.

Edited by Papajohn
  • Like 1

Yeah, you should bench him. And then come Thursday, they'll change a few stats that impact your matchup and you'll go from winning by 1.10 to losing by 0.90, and then karma will laugh at you. And so will we.

This is exactly what would happen to me this year, or lose a tiebreaker at the end of the season based on the exact amount Edelman scores this game. I wouldn't do it just because it seems a bit shady to me (and points are always in play over the season), but apparently others don't have such issues.

Seen it done before and I don't have an issue with it. First and foremost, the goal is to win your weekly matchup. As you note, with a margin that close, you are playing with fire and the possibility of a stat correction. Add in the high unlikelihood of a negative game from a WR (assuming a fairly standard scoring system), and I would not do it in this case.

Seen it done before and I don't have an issue with it. First and foremost, the goal is to win your weekly matchup. As you note, with a margin that close, you are playing with fire and the possibility of a stat correction. Add in the high unlikelihood of a negative game from a WR (assuming a fairly standard scoring system), and I would not do it in this case.

+1

100% agree with this, as long as your league rules do not "require" you to start someone in every position every week, I see nothing wrong with this as a "strategy" since the ultimate goal is to "win" and you're not breaking any rules in doing so.

However, in the circumstance you've described, I would not personally do it, given the small margin and potential for a negative stat correction...