[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sick of being burned streaming DSTs.

GoldenEagle81

I play in a very competitive league, and it is extremely hard to pickup the hot streaming DST every week. What I want to know - what sites do you guys use to see DSTs to pickup a week ahead of time, based on matchup?

I know I can obviously look myself, but I want to read the "beneath the surface" stats that will help me get a leg up. I can't afford to wait until the week of anymore. Help?

• Like 1

Dude, there is NO WAY to do this. Streaming defenses is a crap shoot. I tried to do it this year and for 3 weeks it was a crock...I scored ZERO points in ALL THREE weeks combined. EPIC fail..thanks Miami, Buffalo and St. Louis....

SO I said eff it and went out and got the Seahawks (cost me Josh Gordon + Fred Jackson). Now they are off to a bit of a slow start fantasy wise (oh shoot, they've played Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers- his game on the road so far)....but they are the best in my eyes and I will not even worry about matchups or anything.

I won't score big every week, but most weeks I will and in Seattle it's almost guaranteed money. As far as streaming...yea, Oakland and Jacksonville are the two best bets, but the Jaguars were not quite as pathetic with Bortles in there this past week and while Oakland is a great play, it's just not easy to stream. You have to be mainly lucky. I've seen championships LOST because of streaming....very few won.

That said I did pickup San Diego for this bye week and they did well v. Jacksonville...so I think streaming can be done but the opponent has to be a special kind of suck. Jax won't be this horrible later on, bank on it. They'll get better. Oakland? I'm not so sure about them.

Edited by kwolf68

Look @ thefakefootball.com. even this site has good info on it too..or fantasypros.com. i usually play def week to week im pretty good at picking defs when i need to (played indy this week & got 10pts which is solid) but for the most part its a crap shoot..but there is some science to picking them. Look for defs going againdt below avg qbs. That = turnovers.

Also, if you are going to stream, I'd do it at home....I tried to stream Miami against a crummy Buffalo offense (in Buffalo) and got nothing.

I find the more "choices" you have in your lineup the more chances for error. I have a team this year where I have to make almost NO hard decisions...and I'm 4-0.

The ONLY decisions have been some running back matchups, but for my other positions I just submit and go...it's amazing how good I am now that I've taken ME out of the equation. LOL.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

Streaming so far:

Rams-Week 1 = 2 points

Dolphins-Week 2 = 2 points

Texans-Week 3 = 5 points

Ravens-Week 4 = 13 points

1 week out of 4 with decent points, as our league average is 15-17 points per week.

Point made...It's NOT easy and if you have succeeded in streaming defense, you're not really good, rather lucky. If you can get a good defense, that's the trick. Thing is there just aren't many guaranteed money Ds out there right now. Which is why I still love Seattle.

I somehow manage to pull the lowest defensive score every week, I am definitely considering going "Costanza" with my picks in the future.

I somehow manage to pull the lowest defensive score every week, I am definitely considering going "Costanza" with my picks in the future.

LMAO. I feel you.

I had the Chargers v. Jax this week and at halftime the Bolts I think had no INTs, MAYBE 1 sack and the Jags had scored 14 (our point threshold is 20)....

I was literally at my witz end...but the Chargers came up with some decent stuff in the 2nd half and got me a good haul. But still, it was painful finally getting something from my D.

I am actually sitting them v. the Jets and giving Seattle the keys to the car. I "MAY" sit Seattle against Dallas the next week (yea, that's in Seattle)...but San Diego has Oakland and boy is Oakland wretched.

I try to get two defenses that I can alternate, even though it costs me an extra bench spot. San Diego is beginning a nice stretch right now (just had JAC, next week NYJ then OAK). I'll look to pick up a second defense soon that dovetails match ups well. It has been mildly effective so far.

You can only do it successfully if your the only one doing it. I got a nice 44pts from the cards against the giants and 36pts from the Chargers this week.

But again I'm the only one in my league doing it.

Agreed, used to get away with it in my league as everyone was fixated on drafting one high but people caught on so now it's a fight to grab the defences playing the Jags/Raiders etc.

• Like 1

In our leagues defense just doesn't score enough to make it a big concern, kind of like kickers. Yet we always have owners trying to draft the best D/K in the league before everybody else.

4 games in, the top D (MIA) has 31 points, or about 8 per game. The 15th ranked D (NE) has 23, or 6 points a game, and the 25th (TEN) has 17 points or 4 per game. Sure that is a 4 point diff from the best to the 25th (12 teams only have to carry one D).

Besides the idea of streaming defenses probably wouldn't be used in our leauge since we pay for every roster move (not common I know). When I'm looking to pick one up to cover a bye I may look at the opponents for that week or next few to see who is better.

Picking up a new defense every week isn't a crap shoot. It's worked fine for me every week so far. This is how it went for me in the first four weeks (pretty much standard DST scoring)

Week 1 - Detroit (9)

Week 2 - Washington (17)

Week 3 - Atlanta (30)

Week 4 - Miami (18)

This is in a 12-man league. About 9 teams have a top DST and a couple teams have two DSTs. Me and two others are mainly rotating.

What is the best way to ensure you're getting a good defense? Use these three things

1. Pick a team that is a big favorite in Vegas. 2. Pick a team that is at home 3. Pick a team that gets a lot of sacks that is going against a team with a bad OL in pass protection.

With more bye weeks coming up and sometimes certain weeks are tougher to do this, it's not always possible to meet all three of these. But you should be able to get at least two.

For Week 5, I suggest using Detroit, New Orleans or San Diego.

Edited by sked24
  • Like 1

You can only do it successfully if your the only one doing it.

We were just talking in my main league about how about a third of the league is trying to pull this off this year. Needless to say they're screwing each other royally.

Picking up a new defense every week isn't a crap shoot. It's worked fine for me every week so far. This is how it went for me in the first four weeks (pretty much standard DST scoring)

Week 1 - Detroit (9)

Week 2 - Washington (17)

Week 3 - Atlanta (30)

Week 4 - Miami (18)

This is in a 12-man league. About 9 teams have a top DST and a couple teams have two DSTs. Me and two others are mainly rotating.

What is the best way to ensure you're getting a good defense? Use these three things

1. Pick a team that is a big favorite in Vegas. 2. Pick a team that is at home 3. Pick a team that gets a lot of sacks that is going against a team with a bad OL in pass protection.

With more bye weeks coming up and sometimes certain weeks are tougher to do this, it's not always possible to meet all three of these. But you should be able to get at least two.

For Week 5, I suggest using Detroit, New Orleans or San Diego.

Best advice I've heard yet. Thanks!

If PHI is available (it is in one league I play in) I like them against STL at home. I hate "chasing points" as it rarely works out a second week in a row, but STL is giving up the second most points to fantasy D's.

I streamed the Saints against MIN at home and it worked out, but should have known better against DAL. Rob Ryan out for revenge isn't out there making tackles and apparently DAL really is for real this year....

One thing in streaming D's is you have to stay 2-3 weeks ahead. I keep 2 D's on my bench so I am ready for the week they should have a good game and I am ready for that week as opposed to hoping to get them on the WW for the week they play. Played the Colts week 3, and already had the Chargers on my bench. So far no one else in my league is staying that far ahead.