[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Since when is praying after a TD a penalty?

rajncajn

That's got to be one of the dumbest flags I've seen this season & that is saying a lot. I'd imagine they'll catch some flack over that one. Not sure how it's ok to clasp your hands together in prayer or do the sign of the cross or point at the sky or go down on one knee and bow your head, but it's not ok to go down on both knees?

Why would that even be a penalty?

Going to the ground. It's intended for the moronic stuff like the worm or whatever, it's considered choreographed. This was just an oversight that in hindsight should have been obvious and will probably fix it.

Personally I don't feel bad at all. These players are like children, with a constant need to call attention to themselves. I see guys make routine tackles and pop up and do the stare, or a pose, or whatever. When did doing your job become a reason to bask in a spotlight? Next time I configure a router I'm gonna stomp all around the office screaming and yelling, and next one that's tested and accepted I'm going to discount-double-check my way all the way down the hall to the break room for a coffee.

• Like 5

Next time I configure a router I'm gonna stomp all around the office screaming and yelling, and next one that's tested and accepted I'm going to discount-double-check my way all the way down the hall to the break room for a coffee.

This made me lol. Seriously, got weird looks around the office. :rofl:

Remember when the NFL used to make money selling videos of nothing but celebration dances? The Icky Shuffle would get a flag today?! Who doesn't enjoy the Icky Shuffle?!

These players are like children, with a constant need to call attention to themselves. I see guys make routine tackles and pop up and do the stare, or a pose, or whatever. When did doing your job become a reason to bask in a spotlight?

Very true. It's worth noting that you rarely see the true studs like Megatron, Julio, or JC acting like jackasses when they score. It's usually the little mighty might loudmouth Napoleonic dickwads (Desean Jackson) who act like they've never been there before and may never get back.

Going to the ground. It's intended for the moronic stuff like the worm or whatever, it's considered choreographed. This was just an oversight that in hindsight should have been obvious and will probably fix it.

Personally I don't feel bad at all. These players are like children, with a constant need to call attention to themselves. I see guys make routine tackles and pop up and do the stare, or a pose, or whatever. When did doing your job become a reason to bask in a spotlight? Next time I configure a router I'm gonna stomp all around the office screaming and yelling, and next one that's tested and accepted I'm going to discount-double-check my way all the way down the hall to the break room for a coffee.

Um, the difference is (almost) any idiot can configure a router, but only a few hundred people can intercept an NFL pass and return it for a TD. As a corollary, no one gives a crap that you can configure a router, but tens of millions of people care about an NFL touchdown. Get off your high horse.

The celebration penalties are atrocious. There should be no penalties for anything short of actual rude/lewd gestures. These guys are filled with adrenaline for doing something amazing, let em liver a little.

Um, the difference is (almost) any idiot can configure a router, but only a few hundred people can intercept an NFL pass and return it for a TD. As a corollary, no one gives a crap that you can configure a router, but tens of millions of people care about an NFL touchdown. Get off your high horse.

The celebration penalties are atrocious. There should be no penalties for anything short of actual rude/lewd gestures. These guys are filled with adrenaline for doing something amazing, let em liver a little.

With some fava beans and a nice chianti?

Edited by heehawks
  • Like 2

Must have missed this since I turned off that train wreck of a game, or was just pressing the FF key on the remote everytime KC scored again.

As far as why is it a penalty, because the league decided it was. I agree with flemingd that the celebrations just need to go. They've made rule changes to try and limit them, whether they be related to dunking on the goal post and possibly breaking it, using props (TO and his stupid honda), and other stuff. I've thought the same thing about dancing around and celebrating next time I write a program or fix some bug. Sure nobody cares, but I think lots of people don't care (and wouldn't miss) all the player celebrations.

One thing I don't get and commented on it somewhere yesterday, why is it ok to spin the ball on the ground after any play (many receivers do this after a catch, first down etc.) But if you do it in the end zone after at TD it is excessive celebration, using a prop or whatever. Seems assinine to allow something during every play of the game, then outlaw it after a TD. And the delays during the game because they don't hand the official the ball are potentially far worse.

I personally watch the NFL for the sport, the athletic ability etc. I really don't need to see a bunch of 20 year olds acting like children dancing and celebrating after every play. (Same as I don't need cheerleaders, halftime performances, and the extra hours of hype.)

Media will hype this as much as they can. Even Abdullah said he probably came across as too excited with the slide on his knees. Personally, I don't have any problem with a moment's reflection (bowed head, crossing yourself, or quick prayer) in whatever manner is meaningful for you. I think the difference is if you're doing it for yourself, or calling out to the world to "Watch me!" and pay attention to what you're doing.

It's hard to legislate against it because of all the creative ways there are to celebrate. The players started taking it to an absurd level, and the NFL reacted. But it is reactive. A guy pulls out a sharpie, they say no props. A team does an electric slide routine, they say no groups. A guy does a breakdance, they say no going to ground. It has nothing to do with praying. That's just a red herring. I have no problem with any of it. The league is trying to avoid putting refs in the position of having to make I-know-it-when-I-see-it subjective calls and not having one thing called in one game but something close not called in another game. For the most part, taking subjective penalty calling out of the game where possible is good. The intentional grounding rules are a good example. They are trying to do the same with illegal contact and hands to the face, with mixed results so far. But it's a good trend.

Players know what the rules are on celebrations. And maybe in one particular case it seems silly, but that's on the player not the ref or the league. If players could have kept celebrations reasonable, great. They couldn't help themselves, and once it got to the point where it had to be penalized, objective is good even if slightly overdoing it occasionally.

The one place it may be weird is if some faiths demand that praying or acknowledging God requires doing so in a very particular way. In that case, if you're going to allow religious demonstrations by one faith who are permitted to do their business without kneeling, you should make an exception for others that can only do it by going to their knees. I am nowhere near educated enough about various faiths to know the answer there, but it seems like thinking about. On the other hand, I personally would give them all 15 yards for thinking God wants one player to score but not another, or cares who wins a football game, but I am sure I am in the minority there.

• Like 3

One follow up based on the last very good post by regguy, any player can celebrate a TD or big play. If they need to do a religious celebration that is not allowed within the rules, they can go to the sideline to do it. I don't think their religion requires them to pray after a TD, or other big play. At least I've never heard of a religion that requires this.

Since I missed it and didn't know who we're talking about or what the play is, I went looking now that I knew the player name. Of course the media is going to make this a "he was singled out for his religion" story and bury the fact that he broke a rule that has NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION.

http://deadspin.com/...ng-a-1640628615

The linked story says the NFL has come out and said he should not have been flagged.

"Abdullah should not have been penalized. Officiating mechanic is not to flag player who goes to ground for religious reasons."

But how does the official know why he did it? Is he supposed to ask? "Were you praying or doing that for religious reasons, otherwise I've got to give you a penalty?"

Edited by stevegrab

It's hard to legislate against it because of all the creative ways there are to celebrate. The players started taking it to an absurd level, and the NFL reacted. But it is reactive. A guy pulls out a sharpie, they say no props. A team does an electric slide routine, they say no groups. A guy does a breakdance, they say no going to ground. It has nothing to do with praying. That's just a red herring. I have no problem with any of it. The league is trying to avoid putting refs in the position of having to make I-know-it-when-I-see-it subjective calls and not having one thing called in one game but something close not called in another game. For the most part, taking subjective penalty calling out of the game where possible is good. The intentional grounding rules are a good example. They are trying to do the same with illegal contact and hands to the face, with mixed results so far. But it's a good trend.

Players know what the rules are on celebrations. And maybe in one particular case it seems silly, but that's on the player not the ref or the league. If players could have kept celebrations reasonable, great. They couldn't help themselves, and once it got to the point where it had to be penalized, objective is good even if slightly overdoing it occasionally.

The one place it may be weird is if some faiths demand that praying or acknowledging God requires doing so in a very particular way. In that case, if you're going to allow religious demonstrations by one faith who are permitted to do their business without kneeling, you should make an exception for others that can only do it by going to their knees. I am nowhere near educated enough about various faiths to know the answer there, but it seems like thinking about. On the other hand, I personally would give them all 15 yards for thinking God wants one player to score but not another, or cares who wins a football game, but I am sure I am in the minority there.

Gotta give props, very well thought-out response. You should send that to the NFL PR dept so they can see a good example of how to respond to criticism. :lol:

• Like 1

Not true. I drafted Fleming in the first round of my configuring router league and he has really delivered :clap:

• Like 3

Rotoworld

The NFL admitted Tuesday the unsportsmanlike conduct flag thrown on Chiefs S Husain Abdullah Monday night was incorrect.

The NFL (no fun league) has a rule that says players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground. However, Abdullah is Muslim and dropped to his knees in prayer after a pick-6 on Tom Brady Monday night. "The officiating mechanic in this situation is not to flag a player who goes to the ground as part of religious expression," said league spokesman Michael Signora. Many players go to one knee for religious reasons in the end zone, a move recently made famous by Tim Tebow.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Rotoworld

The NFL admitted Tuesday the unsportsmanlike conduct flag thrown on Chiefs S Husain Abdullah Monday night was incorrect.

The NFL (no fun league) has a rule that says players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground. However, Abdullah is Muslim and dropped to his knees in prayer after a pick-6 on Tom Brady Monday night. "The officiating mechanic in this situation is not to flag a player who goes to the ground as part of religious expression," said league spokesman Michael Signora. Many players go to one knee for religious reasons in the end zone, a move recently made famous by Tim Tebow.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Cool. I wonder if they will allow religious beheadings on the field too? :shrug:

You must have failed to notice my specific reference to making routine plays. It's kind of like configuring a router - it's routine. (Almost) any football player can do it given the opportunity.

Now excuse me, I just configured another router, time to dougie myself over to the break room for a donut.

You must have failed to notice my specific reference to making routine plays. It's kind of like configuring a router - it's routine. (Almost) any football player can do it given the opportunity.

Now excuse me, I just configured another router, time to dougie myself over to the break room for a donut.

Don't tear your ACL on the way there.