[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obvious Collusion but what punishment?

Broncoholic

There is obvious collusion and I'm not sure what the repercussions should be.

I'm the commissioner, and need to decide what to do with this situation. The league has 3 days to review all trades and will now have the opportunity to veto this trade.

Team A has Peyton Manning (Bye Week 4) and no backup QB.

Team B has Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles.

On Wednesday, Prior to Week 4 (24 Sep), Team A gives Percy Harvin (Bye Week 4) to Team B and receives Nick Foles.

Team A and Team B both lose their matchups week 4.

On Monday night, After Week 4 (29 Sep) , I am notified of the exact same pending trade, in reverse, returning both players to their original teams.

This is the first year of this league, and my first year as commissioner. This is a low stakes league, between a group of coworkers and friends. The two teams in question are both co-workers. I want to give a warning, but not sure what penalty should be imposed. I'm not sure if vetoing the return trade is the right thing to do. Or allowing the trade, but enforcing a one week benching of both players. I think force dropping both players and allowing them to go to the waiver wire is too extreme.

I'm also aware I am not impartial, because I play Team B in week 5, and therefore need an outside opinion.

I ask this board for advice.

Collusion is one those things you hear about on the fringe but have not experienced first hand; do leagues typically rules in place to handle that subject? As commish, I suppose you have the authority to request reasons behind the moves from both team owners and then maybe post those responses to entire league as pertinent info to use when evaluating trade. But, as first year league, if no rule in place I'm not sure how any move outside of "hey, we see that, we're not fond of your little 'wink-wink nod-nod' move and we will address this subject as a league for rules to be implemented next season"

It matters in the sense that it's first year of league and done with coworkers/friends...coming down w/ the hammer could end the longevity of league participants right off the bat. I'm not against punishment, I'm just saying I would err on the side of warnings over the ban-hammer right now...also, what kind of fantasy league experience do the two cohorts have? Should they be new to the game, they may not see such transgressions the way some of us would

I think open dialog with entire league between now and 3 day time period for trade review may very well bring the punishment needed within direct intervention

If you don't have clear cut rules about this, then no rules were broken.

If this is the first year, they may not have thought they were doing anything wrong since the system allows trades.

Keep it simple. Inform both members by PM not to do it again. Then create some rules and send them out to all league members to clarify what is permitted and what isn't without directly calling these guys out. No reason to go nuts on these guys if they are co-workers and friends. Keep it fun and friendly but be sensitive to other teams playing who disliked what happened.

Thanks Sksmith & others

After questioning, they both feel like they did nothing wrong.

Team B says that he's getting future trade stock for when he has bye weeks.

And Team A asks, well what am I supposed to do on bye week?

After reiterating that is gaining an unfair advantage, team A states that "I promise never to have another bye week" so he still doesn't think that he did anything wrong.

I agree I shouldn't punish them. And that is probably the right thing to do. Before, I was convinced that the conduct was obviously collusion, but I can understand how they would see it as just a trade and trade back.

I want to institute some rules, not sure what those should be.

And I need to find a way to explain to them, and others, why this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed, because they aren't getting it.

What do you mean, "drop everyone into waivers" rahyde88

I need to explain it to them so they understand why someone else would think its unfair.

I'm falling into the circular trap of "Its cheating because its an unfair advantage", Can someone help me with a better explanation.

drop all players included in the trade into waivers. it is obvious collusion trading them back and forth for bye relief. that has been not allowed since the beginning of fantasy football time as It totally cheats the system and everyone should know that. part of the game is having to manage around bye weeks and injuries. totally stupid. if you don't want to go that far then in the very least you need to block the trade back. you cant allow this to go on or people wont want you as commish in the future. with that power comes responsibility of not always having people be happy with you. other option is to put it to a vote between the remaining teams on which option to go with. at the very least you cant allow the trade back tho. hope that helps!