[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McKinnon rest of season

XFlash

A coming out party, yes, but pass protection still to be worked on.

Does anyone think he might fit more of a Sproles type of role the rest of season while he improves pass blocking?

I already picked him up for long term; yes I drafted AP in first round.

I do not think he is currently slotted for return game. I think he should be, he is fast!

EDIT: Matt Asiata is solid, but he is not explosive. A thunder/lighting (NYG style)

Edited by XFlash

If it weren't for one 55 yard run, their numbers (McKinnon & Asiata) were damn near the same. If it weren't for some poor tackling of the Falcons, it would have been about a 10 yard run.

I certainly like the guy and his potential - I'm trying to get him (will probably miss out on him), but would rather have Asiata right now. Seems to be more of a bruiser and better at pass blocking - meaning he'll be in there for more passing plays.

Dynasty league on the other hand, I'd rather have McKinnon..

I agree, Dynasty for sure. I'm in a limited keeper league and hoping that he turns out by the end of season. If he can continue to make the most with share workload, I think he would good to go for next season. AP will most likely be released or traded. I do not recall his contract status; years left, but AP will most likely not be a MIN next season. Maybe somewhere else if he fairs well during court.

If it weren't for one 55 yard run, their numbers (McKinnon & Asiata) were damn near the same. If it weren't for some poor tackling of the Falcons, it would have been about a 10 yard run.

I certainly like the guy and his potential - I'm trying to get him (will probably miss out on him), but would rather have Asiata right now. Seems to be more of a bruiser and better at pass blocking - meaning he'll be in there for more passing plays.

Dynasty league on the other hand, I'd rather have McKinnon..

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking drives me nuts. The play happened. It counts. So what if it all happened in one play?

• Like 5

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking drives me nuts. The play happened. It counts. So what if it all happened in one play?

All in one play you're typically expecting a hit-or-miss situation rather than a consistent producer. For that reason I'll take Asiata over McKinnon for the rest of this year then try to pawn him off on somebody & steer clear of the Vikings backfield for next season.

If you take away a 55 yard run, he would have a 4.71 ypc. Asiata had a 3.9 ypc avg.

It's not unusual for a COP back to have a higher ypc average than the starter. The problem is, the player may never be more than a COP because they are either physically or mentally incapable of carrying a full workload.

All in one play you're typically expecting a hit-or-miss situation rather than a consistent producer. For that reason I'll take Asiata over McKinnon for the rest of this year then try to pawn him off on somebody & steer clear of the Vikings backfield for next season.

Understood, but it's not like saying that run was his only point-producing play. The play still happened. It figures into the grand total. It's not like we're saying "wow, McKinnon with 3 rushes for 80 yards". It was 18 carries (to Asiata's 20) for 135 yards. 17 for 80 if you wanna get cute and pull out the outlying long run. As MV pointed out, you take out that run and McKinnon still has a better ypc.

So you take a guy like Asiata, who COULD be "steady" (that is, if the Vikes don't start giving McKinnon more time, which only a fool wouldn't) and give you 10ish points a game.... or a guy like McKinnon who could get you 4 points or get you 20. Maybe I'm more of a gambler but give me the high upside guy every time.

• Like 2

Yes I was thinking along the lines with Darin. It's not like that long play was his only production. I wasn't advocating McKinnon over Asiata either. I think that both players will get carries.

Plus all of my analysis is aside of the fact that I have been able to watch very little if the past two games. I have to catch up to the DVR before the next game!

Edited by MikesVikes

It also seems like they favor Asiata at the goal line. It's hard to put a finger on his value because last week is the only one he has done anything. He definitely has the tools, but expect RBBC all the way. Norv's SD teams with a back like McKinnon were mostly productive . It didn't surprise me at all when they drafted him - he's a Turner type RB.

Yes I was thinking along the lines with Darin. It's not like that long play was his only production. I wasn't advocating McKinnon over Asiata either. I think that both players will get carries.

Plus all of my analysis is aside of the fact that I have been able to watch very little if the past two games. I have to catch up to the DVR before the next game!

And yes, let me also be clear... I think both RBs are certainly worthy of ownership in most leagues. The team obviously trusts Asiata more at this point. They are going to give both RBs work every week. McKinnon has yet to prove himself in pass protection... And with their prized rookie QB at the helm, the last thing they're going to do is throw a rookie RB with developing pass protection skills in there as an every-down back. Even if Bridgewater does have solid mobility.

But if I'm given a choice at this point I want the guy with mad talent and the ability to crank out huge games. This, in my opinion/history, is how you win. Yes, consistent production is nice, but mixing in guys with huge upside is what separates teams that go 8-5 in the regular season to ones that go 10-3. You just have to "get there" and then hope your guys perform in the playoffs. But it's better to "get there" and lose than not even "get there" at all.

Just my :2cents:

Edited by darin3

You just have to "get there" and then hope your guys perform in the playoffs. But it's better to "get there" and lose than not even "get there" at all.

Just my :2cents:

Well stated. You got to take chances. :coach:

It's not like Asiata is a plodder of the Ron Dayne variety. In other words, to play devil's advocate (I seem to be doing that a lot here lately), while McKinnon's upside may be that he can break a long run on any given play, Asiata's upside is that he could easily score multiple short TD's in a game (like he did this week). And, he's undoubtedly going to be the short yardage guy, at least in the short-term. On top of that, he's not that bad of a pass-catcher too (so it's not like he's limited to just being the short-yardage guy). He'll get more touches, and he'll get more scoring opportunities (IMO).

If I had to pick (and I have, in a few leagues), I would without question rather own Asiata. Now, that's assuming we're talking about owning a RB that we can potentially plug into our starting lineup. Long-term, however, I don't think there's any debate which one has more potential value. Asiata has the higher floor, but may have already reached his ceiling. McKinnon has a much lower floor, but I don't think anybody really even knows what his ceiling is yet.

• Like 3

It's not like Asiata is a plodder of the Ron Dayne variety. In other words, to play devil's advocate (I seem to be doing that a lot here lately), while McKinnon's upside may be that he can break a long run on any given play, Asiata's upside is that he could easily score multiple short TD's in a game (like he did this week). And, he's undoubtedly going to be the short yardage guy, at least in the short-term. On top of that, he's not that bad of a pass-catcher too (so it's not like he's limited to just being the short-yardage guy). He'll get more touches, and he'll get more scoring opportunities (IMO).

If I had to pick (and I have, in a few leagues), I would without question rather own Asiata. Now, that's assuming we're talking about owning a RB that we can potentially plug into our starting lineup. Long-term, however, I don't think there's any debate which one has more potential value. Asiata has the higher floor, but may have already reached his ceiling. McKinnon has a much lower floor, but I don't think anybody really even knows what his ceiling is yet.

This exactly

As the Asiata owner, there's a guy who's 0-4 in our league and got McKinnon last night on waivers. He sends me a text..

HIM: "So, I got Asiata's insurance policy, McKinnon, last night on waivers."

ME: "Yeah, I saw that. What do you want for him?"

HIM: "Calvin Johnson."

ME: "Ha ha ha ha ha."

HIM: "I'm serious. McKinnon is taking me from 0-4 to the Superbowl. He will be the Vikings starter starting in week 6 through the end of the season. You will regret not trading for him."

ME: "Ok - well I'm not trading Calvin Johnson for McKinnon - not even if you throw in Eddie Lacy or Michael Floyd (His two best players outside of D Bryant). I'll give you Megatron & Sproles for McKinnon and D Bryant".

HIM: "You're not even in the same city, let alone same ballpark. McKinnon will finish the season top 5 - and he will do so with everyone else having essentially a 3 week head start."

ME: "You want Asiata?"

HIM: "No, I told you McKinnon will be the starter come week 6 - Asiata will only clutter my bench".

Am I missing something here????? :hscratch:

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

As the Asiata owner, there's a guy who's 0-4 in our league and got McKinnon last night on waivers. He sends me a text..

HIM: "I'm serious. McKinnon is taking me from 0-4 to the Superbowl. He will be the Vikings starter starting in week 6 through the end of the season. You will regret not trading for him."

ME: "Ok - well I'm not trading Calvin Johnson for McKinnon - not even if you throw in Eddie Lacy or Michael Floyd (His two best players outside of D Bryant). I'll give you Megatron & Sproles for McKinnon and D Bryant".

HIM: "You're not even in the same city, let alone same ballpark. McKinnon will finish the season top 5 - and he will do so with everyone else having essentially a 3 week head start."

HIM: "No, I told you McKinnon will be the starter come week 6 - Asiata will only clutter my bench".

Hype-train extreme...amusing.

• Like 1

Sounds like he's just trying real hard with his sales pitch, which is perfectly fine. What I always like to do to put these car salesmen off-balance, is to use their arguments against them and see how they respond.

In your case: "If McKinnon is all that and a bag of chips and is taking you to the SuperBowl, why would you trade him away?"

Edited by abishagenaden

Tell him good luck with McKinnon because even if he plays like AD the rest of his team still sucks.

Sounds like he's just trying real hard with his sales pitch, which is perfectly fine. What I always like to do to put these car salesmen off-balance, is to use their arguments against them and see how they respond.

In your case: "If McKinnon is all that and a bag of chips and is taking you to the SuperBowl, why would you trade him away?"

another friend of ours just said the same thing.. Lol