[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FCC considers petition to ban the name 'Redskins'

ImNotSoIgnorant

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/30/us-usa-fcc-redskins-idUKKCN0HP2HM20140930

"

(Reuters) - The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to punish broadcasters for using the moniker of the Washington NFL team, the Redskins, a word many consider a slur to Native Americans, the agency's chairman indicated on Tuesday.

The FCC, which enforces broadcast indecency violations, has received a petition from legal activist John Banzhaf III, asking that regulators strip local radio station WWXX-FM of its broadcasting license when it comes up for renewal for using the name "Redskins." "

My opinion is very basic so no need to go on about it. I think its good, but I think its bad to single out a radio station. So undecided about the narrow petition, but definitely think they need to change the damn name and imagery.

soooooo would a Native American rapper be allowed to use it?

Wrong forum?

It'd be Redskinz then, big difference

• Like 3

I've always wondered about the mascot Indians...why is that not an issue, being that it was learned hundreds of years ago that India was not at all what they found and yet we still use that term

Definitely wrong forum but If the FCC bans REDSKINS, Family Guy is next and that can't happen or South Park, what's a guy supposed to watch? Wait for it......."Blackish"? When the baby boomers finally figure out we the forty something's don't give a S#it? That censorship is dead, our society embraces much more tough topics on daily basis because of information technology. Theirs gathered information by radio, newspaper, and black and white tv the size of a school bus and everything had a day delay built in..... :boxing::pop:

I've always wondered about the mascot Indians...why is that not an issue, being that it was learned hundreds of years ago that India was not at all what they found and yet we still use that term

Right on. It would at least make more sense if they were in Indiana

I don't see why not, but do you see any public sports team using any of the variety of slurs for african americans?

no but this is just another case of the government stepping in where they probably shouldn't. Hopefully congress will investigate and clear it all up like they did with 'roids in baseball

• Like 1

That is the teams official name, the broadcasters should be using it. They should not be punished for it. Nor should they be trying to act all high and mighty (like some newspapers and TV people) by declaring "we will no longer refer to them as the Redskins."

When all the stadiums and bowl games (races and many other events) get all this huge sponsorship deals they require the name to be used all the time (Tostitos Fiesta Bowl).

I wondered watching MNF where was the outrage when thousands of fans did the tomahawk chop and chanted like Indians before the opening kickoff. The name Redskins is offensive, but that is ok? Or will it be targeted once the Redskins are put in their place.

Yeah wrong forum, the whole Redskins name change debate is getting old. And if they are forced to do it (other than by normal market pressures like fans not buying tickets and gear) you can bet the Chiefs, Indians, Braves, Blackhawks and many more will be the next targets of the PC police.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, if they do change the name, I'm going to sue the NFL, Roger Goodell, the (former) Redskins, Dan Snyder and the U.S. Government (specifically Congress) for every cent they're worth...LMAO...when I spend my hard-earned $$$ on "Redskins" merchandise, then by gosh, I have an expectation that the merchandise I'm buying will represent my team... :)

j/k, I probably wouldn't sue Congress...LOL

Political correctness, censorship and thought nazi-ism out of control. And don't try to compare the name redskin to the n-word or anything else. There is no comparison, that's like saying the name "Yankees" is calling all northern white people the n-word. It isn't. If the name Redskin were ever so bad you would have heard about it a long long time ago, like in the 80s when the team was winning championships. It's only become "so bad" recently however. It's all just another ploy by the government and the political media to distract you from the things that are really going on.

• Like 3

If Texas is ready to secede, I'm ready to pack my stuff.

• Like 2

After reading a book about the history of the NFL, the title of which I can't remember right now, I have done a 180 and now think the name should be changes ASAP. The NFL, as well as America in general, has a long history of racism but the Washington Redskins still stands out. Maybe not by much, but other teams do not have racial slur in their name.

• Like 1

Give me a break....bunch of liberal pantieazzs trying to stir up stuff using the race card on every-damn-thing........race will always be a factor in this country because some people like turning EVERYTHING into a "racial" motivated event..... God, wish everyone would just shut the hell up and move on!

• Like 1

After reading a book about the history of the NFL, the title of which I can't remember right now, I have done a 180 and now think the name should be changes ASAP. The NFL, as well as America in general, has a long history of racism but the Washington Redskins still stands out. Maybe not by much, but other teams do not have racial slur in their name.

Ok if that is your logic, get ready for a domino affect with the following:

Golden State Warriors

Stanford Indians

St. John's Redmen

Edmonton Eskimos

Atlanta Braves

Chicago Blackhawks

Cleveland Indians

Pekin Chinks (they did change there name in 1980)

Kansas City Chiefs

Coachella Valley Arabs

Robstown Cotton Pickers

• Like 1