[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Montee Ball is not a bust and this is why.......

IrishPride

Bottom line...if you bought in, it was a mistake. Cut your losses. Sell, if you can get any value. It remains unknown who, if any one single RB, will be the one to own in that backfield, and when and if it is decided, whether they can produce like we all thought a "Peyton manning RB" was expected to. But it will probably be weeks before the dust settles, maybe longer, may take the remainder of this season. If I was betting on one, it would be CJ Anderson, but I would avoid the whole thing.

Bottom line...if you bought in, it was a mistake. Cut your losses. Sell, if you can get any value. It remains unknown who, if any one single RB, will be the one to own in that backfield, and when and if it is decided, whether they can produce like we all thought a "Peyton manning RB" was expected to. But it will probably be weeks before the dust settles, maybe longer, may take the remainder of this season. If I was betting on one, it would be CJ Anderson, but I would avoid the whole thing.

The right time to sell will be after this week if none of the Denver RBs does squat, particularly if any positive news about Ball's health status also emerges. I'm not convinced that selling is correct, as it is a long season, but the timing would be right in the above scenario.

The right time to sell will be after this week if none of the Denver RBs does squat, particularly if any positive news about Ball's health status also emerges. I'm not convinced that selling is correct, as it is a long season, but the timing would be right in the above scenario.

The Jets have a good run defense, so I expect a lot of passing in the first half. Assuming the Broncos have this one in the bag at halftime, garbage time will be most telling. As far as trading Ball, you either bail right now for something less than you'd prolly want, or wait until the situation is defined. It all depends on how deep your bench is and whether not you'd actually be starting Ball when he is healthy.

The Jets have a good run defense, so I expect a lot of passing in the first half. Assuming the Broncos have this one in the bag at halftime, garbage time will be most telling. As far as trading Ball, you either bail right now for something less than you'd prolly want, or wait until the situation is defined. It all depends on how deep your bench is and whether not you'd actually be starting Ball when he is healthy.

I guess that's why I think after this week is key, because the Jets' run D will probably keep any one Denver RB from emerging or even showing that well unless it's on screen passes or dump offs.

Just dropped him yesterday...I plan to get him back though

Same here. I dropped Ball this week. Will probably pick him in a few weeks if no one else claims him off waivers. I picked up Brandon Oliver last week, so his performance eased the pain of the Ball bust disaster that keeps me awake at night. But Ball wasn't even tradeable. He's injured and he did absolutely nothing when healthy, plus Hillman is looking good. So I just cut my losses with Ball.

Elway loves Hillman and I felt confident they would give Hillman every chance to prove himself. Hillman delivered in his first career start against an excellent run defense that was only giving up 83 yards per game entering this week.

It's easy to predict things after they happen. Anyone who follows the Broncos closely knows what Hillman is. He’s a high draft pick and that’s the only reason he’s still on the team. He has small hands and is prone to fumbling. When Manning can come out after the game and state the defense was laughing at the running game, it’s no surprise that Hillman did well. He was also stuffed when going for a first down in short-yardage situations.

When a good defense faces the Broncos (this week), then the running game will get respect. Wanna put your money where your mouth is? …start Hillman this week. With Thompson flirting with a knee injury, this could be the week. I still have hope, and if the stars align and e gets a shot, Mr. Anderson will step up to the plate and deliver.

Yeah, the local papers made it clear they were going to give Hillman the start last week. He's the vet and has experience in a very complicated offense and understands the protection schemes, but he'll go back to being a change of pace/breather back once Ball is healthy. He just doesn't have the body type to stand up to a full season of banging, one or two games sure, but I think they'll prefer to keep him fresh for about 5-10 touches/game down the stretch. CJ fits the build, but he's not great in the passing game and does not play special teams.

That being said, the only real threat to Ball is Thompson. They both have the RB profile that the Broncos want as their lead back and Thompson played at Duke for Cutliff who runs the same offense (and happens to be a close Manning friend that hosts Manning and his receivers every offseason and was his offensive coordinator at Tennessee), so he understands the passing game, even if Manning has to tell him directly what to do before the snap.

Thompson is big, catches well, runs with authority and can pass protect. His downfall is that he is a rookie and will not be given the keys to the kingdom unless Ball comes back and falls on his face. Make no mistake though, Ball will be the guy when he comes back (he was accounting for a huge chunk of touches against stout defenses before he got hurt) and it will be against much more favorable competition down the stretch.

Full disclosure - I have Ball in both of my leagues (regret where I picked him in one league 1.9, 3.1 in another) and I think it will pay dividends once he comes back. Ball did decent against Indy and KC, then was stuffed at Seattle and for a half against AZ before getting hurt. Not panicking yet, even if I do have some regret about the ROI so far.

When Manning can come out after the game and state the defense was laughing at the running game, it’s no surprise that Hillman did well. He was also stuffed when going for a first down in short-yardage situations.

Yeah, the Jets dared the Broncos to run and moved their LB's out of the middle into coverage. Worked for a bit, but Manning took what they gave him. Hillman will find it tougher going against the 49'ers this week, unless they try what got the Jets beat last week. Biggest factor could be Willis' toe and if he plays on Sunday night. Either way, not a favorable match up for Hillman.

I said long before this past performance that Hillman was the guy to pick up (not sure if it was this or another thread). I don't need to follow the Broncos on a daily basis to know what was going to happen there. Hillman is far and away the most talented back and his skill set fits the Broncos offense better than the other RB's they have (including Ball). John Fox likes the old school pounding RB's, but make no mistake that this is Manning's offense and Manning prefers a non-traditional RB. Sure, he might not be a guy you give the ball to 25 times a game, but that's not the typical Manning run offense anyways. In fact, not a single RB who has ever played along side Manning averaged more than 24 carries per game in any season, and most are under 20 carries per game. Hillman is certainly capable of being the starter and handling the work load that comes with being the top RB in a Peyton Manning run offense.

Hillman is certainly capable of being the starter and handling the work load that comes with being the top RB in a Peyton Manning run offense.

Yeah, I picked him up, but I think Ball is going to get as shot to earn the lead role back once he is healthy. Hillman may be the man if Ball stumbles down the stretch, but he's probably not the answer long term, I just don't think the Broncos see him in the lead back role, unless he proves them otherwise while Ball is out. Who knows though, he's in the mold of a Marshall Faulk...not saying he's there, but he is the same type of back.

• Like 1

Another thing of note regarding "lead backs": they don't really exist in the way how many of us perceive what a "lead back" should be. Only one guy in the NFL averages more than 25 carries per game this year (DeMarco Murray) and only one other RB averages over 20 carries per game. Translation: a guy like Hillman is more than capable of being a modern day lead RB despite his smaller stature.

Another thing of note regarding "lead backs": they don't really exist in the way how many of us perceive what a "lead back" should be. Only one guy in the NFL averages more than 25 carries per game this year (DeMarco Murray) and only one other RB averages over 20 carries per game. Translation: a guy like Hillman is more than capable of being a modern day lead RB despite his smaller stature.

Stature wasn't what kept him off the field in the past...poor pass blocking and fumbles did.

I know that, but on almost every thread people keep saying he is not a lead back due to his size. He keeps being referred to as a change of pace back. I'm just saying his size will not prohibit him from remaining the starter in Denver. His fumbling issues on the other hand could find him back on the sideline.

I know that, but on almost every thread people keep saying he is not a lead back due to his size. He keeps being referred to as a change of pace back. I'm just saying his size will not prohibit him from remaining the starter in Denver. His fumbling issues on the other hand could find him back on the sideline.

Manning is the Captain of the ship and surely has a voice, but what he needs is an outlet and a blocker at RB on pass plays. Hillman is the change of pace RB and the main back has to get the tough 3 yards, or 1 yard on 3rd and 1. I completely disagree that Hillman is the answer. If Ball remains out, it's Anderson or Thompson. If Denver loses this week, things will change quickly. They should go after the other C.J... Spiller.

Deep leagues should think about juwan Thompson. He looked good and was only 90% thus far, he should be healthy going forward.

this coming from a ball owner who is hedging his bets with Hillman too. Don't sleep on JT.

I would also stand pat or pick up a dropped MonteBall wherever you can. Manning and fox really like the guy. He's going to produce a few good games going forward.

Edited by ChampSampson