[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Montee Ball is not a bust and this is why.......

IrishPride

He may be right. Hillman is really a third down back and Anderson is more of the Ball version 2. Juwan Thompson is sort of a new throw-in to the committee though. I kinda of expect them to use all three and see what happens until it is obvious what to do. Playing in NY against the Jets is not going to make it easy.

Interesting, I have Ball although he was benched this week so following this closely but admit I no nothing about much of the backups bar Hillman so just found it surprising.

Despite being a healthy scratch this week whilst Hillman and Thompson were active behind Ball?

Anderson doesn't play on special teams, so that's why he was a scratch. Anderson is a big dude... Hillman isn't. No matter who the starting RB is, it's not going to be Hillman, because he's the change of pace RB. The main job of Denver's RB is to protect Peyton. If Anderson can do that, he's money until Ball comes back. If he runs well, the job could remain his for the rest of the season.

Anderson doesn't play on special teams, so that's why he was a scratch. Anderson is a big dude... Hillman isn't. No matter who the starting RB is, it's not going to be Hillman, because he's the change of pace RB. The main job of Denver's RB is to protect Peyton. If Anderson can do that, he's money until Ball comes back. If he runs well, the job could remain his for the rest of the season.

Cheers, just wondered on the logic behind it so I'm prepared if Ball's MRI today comes back with bad news.

I agree that the answer is 'not Hillman'.

I think there's too many unknowns right now to pick either. Like I said above, Hillman is NOT an every down back, and CJ was inactive today (he is not injured, and nobody knows why (except John Fox)).

Also, we don't know the severity of Ball's injury, but I'll bet if it's not serious, he'll be back out there sooner rather than later.

Yeah not sure why anybody would want to pickup CJ, if he was a healthy scratch and other guys are getting carries instead of Ball why would CJ suddenly have value? I drafted him hoping he might have value, even without Ball sucking. But I cut him last week to add depth at WR (he was the worst of my scrub RB platoon). I get and see it reported he was a scratch because he doesn't play on special teams, but still not sure that is legit reason to believe he gets the starting nod or bulk of he committee carries.

Also DMD has mentioned several times how the Jets D will be another tough go for the DEN RBs, and I did read they were #1 vs. run going into the week allowing less than 65 yards/game. But they were gashed for 114 yards on 19 carries by Branden Oliver. Was that all in garbage time with a big lead and a tired defense? Are they really a top D against the run, or was that based on some easy matchups in the first 4 weeks.

Won't matter for me, I'll be 3-2 at worst this week and well below the top of waiver order, so the hot guys will certainly be gone.

Yeah not sure why anybody would want to pickup CJ, if he was a healthy scratch and other guys are getting carries instead of Ball why would CJ suddenly have value? I drafted him hoping he might have value, even without Ball sucking. But I cut him last week to add depth at WR (he was the worst of my scrub RB platoon). I get and see it reported he was a scratch because he doesn't play on special teams, but still not sure that is legit reason to believe he gets the starting nod or bulk of he committee carries.

Also DMD has mentioned several times how the Jets D will be another tough go for the DEN RBs, and I did read they were #1 vs. run going into the week allowing less than 65 yards/game. But they were gashed for 114 yards on 19 carries by Branden Oliver. Was that all in garbage time with a big lead and a tired defense? Are they really a top D against the run, or was that based on some easy matchups in the first 4 weeks.

Won't matter for me, I'll be 3-2 at worst this week and well below the top of waiver order, so the hot guys will certainly be gone.

Oliver gashed the Jets at will... running and catching. ..

Bet they wish they had Moreno though. He fits that offense better right now.

Sure, he fit that offense really well, but the Broncos only got one healthy season from him. Now he's on the bench injured in Miami making more money than the Broncos wanted to pay him. Tis why they let him leave.

• Like 1

If I were to jump on a Denver RB to get off waivers it would be Hillman. I believe he has the biggest upside. Many of you are calling him a change of pace back, which is fairly accurate. He was never looked at as a guy you could hand the ball off to 20 times a game for an entire season. His skill set however does fit the Broncos scheme (they do like to pass the ball a little bit) and could provide him with plenty of opportunities for explosive plays. Even when you include Ball into the mix, Hillman is the most explosive. He is both faster and quicker and has great field vision. There is a reason the Broncos moved up significantly in the draft to take him. Someone listed each of his carries and that is what you can expect from him. Small to no gains mixed in with some explosive plays. His entire college career followed that same formula. He can go the distance at any time.

If Ball misses time I'd expect Hillman to get 10-15 carries and 5 targets a game. I did not see the entire game, but Hillman looked solid in pass protection as well.

Rotoworld reports that Balls' balls are not severely injured. He should only be out 2-3 weeks.

The Denver Post reports Montee Ball's groin injury may only cost him two weeks.

ESPN's Jeff Legwold is reporting Ball's injury could cost him "as many as three weeks," though it sounds like he won't miss much more than that. A Monday MRI revealed Ball's injury will not require surgery. It's good news for Ball owners, as he's not done for the season and will miss brutal forthcoming run-defense matchups with the Jets and 49ers. The Broncos have a far more favorable stretch-run schedule, although it's fair to wonder if Ball might begin losing snaps to Ronnie Hillman, C.J. Anderson, and/or Juwan Thompson if they excel in his absence. Fantasy owners should try to keep Ball stashed as an injured RB4.

This could be the best thing for Ball owners. Now I won't be tempted to start him and all that 'potential' and get burned again.

Exactly and then he returns to a string of favorable matchups while rested as well... maybe he won't suck when he returns? ??

It does one thing for me knowing he's only out a couple weeks I won't be putting in any bids for what is sure to be a cluster truck there for a few weeks. Just not worth blowing BB money for a maybe of who is the man or isn't for 2-3 weeks in my opinion.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

I just think he's the best looking back of the three. Hillman is just too light to carry the load and CJ looks about like Ball with his total lack of explosiveness.

I am usually more a fan of measurables and production for predicting NFL success, but Thompson is the most exciting guy to watch with the ball in his hands.

It will take Ball being out for a while and several games of the other two guys sucking, but if Juwan gets a legit shot at the job I think he takes it.

thanks

JMHO as a Denver Homer, but Juwan is a rookie. Ball hasn't been magic so far, so if the next man up plays out, they could be the next RB1 in Denver. It isn't going to be Hillman. Hillman is Sproles/Woodhead... not a guy that can take a beating once a week. Denver has the Jets, 49ers and Chargers coming up. They won't need a full tank to beat the Jets, but they will need all balls to beat the Niners and Chargers. CJ Anderson is your next man up, or my name isn't Warren.

Edited by Thews40

JMHO as a Denver Homer, but Juwan is a rookie. Ball hasn't been magic so far, so if the next man up plays out, they could be the next RB1 in Denver. It isn't going to be Hillman. Hillman is Sproles/Woodhead... not a guy that can take a beating once a week. Denver has the Jets, 49ers and Chargers coming up. They won't need a full tank to beat the Jets, but they will need all balls to beat the Niners and Chargers. CJ Anderson is your next man up, or my name isn't Warren.

I'd agree that CJ is the next guy up, I just think that he has a good chance of sucking and that Juwan will suck less than him if given the chance to go out there and suck.

I'd agree that CJ is the next guy up, I just think that he has a good chance of sucking and that Juwan will suck less than him if given the chance to go out there and suck.

But no one knows for sure, do we?

I agree that Hillman is NOT an every down back. I don't think the Broncos are ready to give up on Ball, so any of this speculation could be a moot point in 2-4 weeks.

Edited by Rileyrott

I suspect the Bronco running game will look poopy playing the Jets in New York. The. They get the 49ers which isn't a great matchup for the running game either (albeit not as bad as normal with SF). It wouldn't surprise me to see nobody emerge which would probably hand the keys back to Montee in a few weeks. But who knows... That Oliver kid ran well vs the Jets last week, so maybe someone does emerge tomorrow. I agree with the CJ talk - Hillman will likely get 3rd down work and 2 minute drill work regardless of the hot hand situation, but IIRC CJ wasn't active last week because he doesn't play on special teams and the rookie does. That could be wrong though.