[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Branden Oliver

Capt. Stanky

I am wondering what are the chances this kid keeps value for the rest of the year? He looked better in 3 quarters than Donald Brown and Ryan Mathews have looked in their whole careers. I know he's a UDFA, but the talent is obvious. Also, SD looks as good as any team in the league this year. Oliver's explosiveness, somthing they've lacked since the LT and Sproles days, could push them over the top. I am considering blowing my entire FABB buget on this little guy. In PPR format he scored 33 pts. Thoughts???

Even if Ryan Mathews takes back the early down role, I see this guy retaining enough value to be counted on for 10 pts week to week.

Also, he's not as little as he might appear. 5'8'' 208 is close to Ray Rice size.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

My understanding is that he is more of a Danny Woodhead replacement. Woodhead is 5-8, 200 and Oliver is 5-8, 203. So I would think that his future is more of a replacement for Woodhead than for Mathews. He was surprisingly effective against the Jets but you know, they lost 31-0 and pretty much gave up. Oliver had 12 carries for 34 yards over the first two games. He only gained 23 yards on nine carries against the visiting Jaguars.

• Like 1

as a chargers fan we have seen many flashes of branden oliver before this and he was playing against the jets defense which was tired and worn out from getting blown out, but i do think he is the real deal and you should pick him up even for when mathews comes back

Out of interest, here are all the carries he had with how much yardage he gained:

2,2,4,3,2,6,1,4,15 (final carry of first half, SD already 21-0)

Second half

Take away the 15 and 52 yard runs, he had 14-38 for a 2.7 ypg.

Just don't want to read too much into one game or really two runs.

• Like 2

Out of interest, here are all the carries he had with how much yardage he gained:

Second half

Ha. That's the same thing I said last week about Jerick McKinnon and got blown up in these forums. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way.. Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

My understanding is that he is more of a Danny Woodhead replacement. Woodhead is 5-8, 200 and Oliver is 5-8, 203. So I would think that his future is more of a replacement for Woodhead than for Mathews. He was surprisingly effective against the Jets but you know, they lost 31-0 and pretty much gave up. Oliver had 12 carries for 34 yards over the first two games. He only gained 23 yards on nine carries against the visiting Jaguars.

I'm demanding my money back if this is wrong.

• Like 1

you can't just take away his big runs and say that his YPC would be honda otherwise, without that 52 yard run he would have probably got some good rushing yards in that span anyways, and the way any backs YPC gets really big is by a big run or two. He still was playing the best rushing defense in the NFL at that point and looked better than what we've seen from donald brown at this point and more explosive than matthews.

Ha. That's the same thing I said last week about Jerick McKinnon and got blown up in these forums. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way..

I'm going to start a new fantasy football league... you may be interested.

You draft players as per the norm, but every week you take out the player's longest run or longest catch. Those plays just don't count in the overall scoring.

On top of that, only TDs where they get touched at least twice by the opposing defenses count. TDs where the player is untouched don't count.

Also, plays that occur 100% within the hash marks don't count. Said player must accrue yardage between the hash mark and one of the sidelines in order for the play to count.

And finally, if a scoring play occurs within 1:33 of the 1st or 3rd quarters, you only get half the yardage and TDs count 4.13571837581735 each, as opposed to 4 (passing) or 6 (rushing/receiving).

I'll consider an IDP component, but sacks will only be scored if the player that got the sack performs a dance afterwards. Interceptions will count, but only if the intercepting player tries to score a TD. If they just pick it off and go down right there and then, it doesn't count.

PM me if you're interested.

• Like 1

I've watched this kid since pre-season and he is explosive. He's a spark plug, can catch the ball and excels in pass protection. He also makes defensive players pay on the sidelines. I'm all in on this kid.

How would you rate him against Jonathan Stewart? :brow:

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Well, the high % of short runs in this particular case is somewhat interesting. But, it's not one of my favorite modes of evaluating RBs either. Every RB, even the best, have a lot of 2 yards and a cloud of dust runs with their big ones.

"If you ignore his long runs, his YPC really sucks" is generally not a very interesting or telling metric, IMHO.

Well, the high % of short runs in this particular case is somewhat interesting. But, it's not one of my favorite modes of evaluating RBs either. Every RB, even the best, have a lot of 2 yards and a cloud of dust runs with their big ones.

"If you ignore his long runs, his YPC really sucks" is generally not a very interesting or telling metric, IMHO.

And let's not forget what D he did this to. NYJ was giving up 63 ypg. :shocking:

First part of one of my favorite songs by Train:

Well an airplane's faster than a Cadillac

And a whole lot smoother than a camel's back

But I don't care how you get to me

Just get to me

Parasail or first class mail

Get on the back of a Nightingale

Just get to me I don't care just get to me

Prokeds, mopeds take a limousine instead

They ain't cheap but they're easy to find

Get on the highway point yourself my way

Take a roller coaster that comes in sideways

Just get to me - yeah

I understand you want a guy who's consistently turning out positive plays. I understand it's preferable to have those positive plays be consistently productive.... otherwise, there may be games where he DOESN'T break off that long run. But that's part of fantasy football. It's about averages and who scores the most points in a given week. See my sig.

:shrug:

I dunno man, counting on him to make big yardage plays to even out the rest is kind of like hitching a ride on a butterfly.

I'm not disagreeing, but again, consider the defense he was playing against. A 2.7 ypc average would actually be pretty sweet against that defense. The fact that he DID manage to break the big run is telling, at least to me.

Check back next week after he gets 15 touches against the Raiders. :)

I'm not disagreeing, but again, consider the defense he was playing against. A 2.7 ypc average would actually be pretty sweet against that defense. The fact that he DID manage to break the big run is telling, at least to me.

Check back next week after he gets 15 touches against the Raiders. :)

This

I'm going to start a new fantasy football league... you may be interested.

You draft players as per the norm, but every week you take out the player's longest run or longest catch. Those plays just don't count in the overall scoring.

On top of that, only TDs where they get touched at least twice by the opposing defenses count. TDs where the player is untouched don't count.

Also, plays that occur 100% within the hash marks don't count. Said player must accrue yardage between the hash mark and one of the sidelines in order for the play to count.

And finally, if a scoring play occurs within 1:33 of the 1st or 3rd quarters, you only get half the yardage and TDs count 4.13571837581735 each, as opposed to 4 (passing) or 6 (rushing/receiving).

I'll consider an IDP component, but sacks will only be scored if the player that got the sack performs a dance afterwards. Interceptions will count, but only if the intercepting player tries to score a TD. If they just pick it off and go down right there and then, it doesn't count.

PM me if you're interested.

In - and based on DMD's post above, I'd assume he's in too.. :)

Second half

There are lies..there are damn lies..then there's statistics