[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rule Question

teakay88

My league allows for 1 player to be on the IR each week. If the player plays and is still on your IR you automatically lose. It has come to my attention that someone in the league has been stashing Josh Gordon on his IR all season. I feel that this is wrong and the IR spot is for injured players not suspended players. What is the difference between doing this and stashing a bye week player on the IR to save a roster spot? What do you think of this and if a punishment has to be given out what do you think it should be?

Usually a IR player has to be injured to be on the IR list. But it looks like your league rules just say the player doesn't play without a reason given to be eligible for IR.

I would say allow Gordon on it and then get the rule clarified/redefined to prevent this in the future.

There should be no punishment unless the league's rules specifically prohibit suspended players being put on IR. The guy's done it for 6 weeks, you can't punish him now for something that wasn't caught and corrected. Smack your commish in the back of the head too.

There's a huge difference between stashing a suspended player on IR vs. a bye week player on IR. The NFL allows for teams with suspended players to sign a replacement, why shouldn't FF owners? If that's how the league wants to do it there's nothing wrong with it.

BTW stupid rule that you lose if the player plays. If you don't want owners stashing borderline players require them to be a status of Out or IR before being put on IR. If your league software doesn't support it, then just forget it.

• Like 1

I think your stuck now, its been too long, but definitely clarify your rules for next year. It's the nature of a competitive edge, a grey area is an open door, he used it, its not cheating because he hasn't broken a rule, IMO.

Edited by IrishPride

My league allows for 1 player to be on the IR each week. If the player plays and is still on your IR you automatically lose. It has come to my attention that someone in the league has been stashing Josh Gordon on his IR all season. I feel that this is wrong and the IR spot is for injured players not suspended players. What is the difference between doing this and stashing a bye week player on the IR to save a roster spot? What do you think of this and if a punishment has to be given out what do you think it should be?

As others have said - what do your rules say? Does it just say the player can't play that week? Does it have a definition of what it means to be eligible for the IR spot?

As others have said, it seems like your rules were vey loosely written, and IMO, if it has no definition of what makes someone eligible for the IR spot other than saying that if they play, you lose, it could be implied that any player that isn't going to play is eligible, including suspended and bye week players.

There should be no punishment unless the league's rules specifically prohibit suspended players being put on IR. The guy's done it for 6 weeks, you can't punish him now for something that wasn't caught and corrected. Smack your commish in the back of the head too.

Totally agree with this.

I don't see how you benefit from having an active player in your IR so there shouldn't be a punishment.

The obvious benefit is carrying an extra player on your roster

I'll never understand why redrafts even have IR. If it's an issue add an extra bench spot for all teams

• Like 1

Punishment? The punishment should be against the league commish for not having a written set of clear rules, including IR eligibility.

Wrong. League commissioners put in a lot of time to coordinating a league. For many, it goes all year round, and we do it because we love it... Even when we have to deal with the occasional whiners who require constant babysitting and want to point the finger at the commish for anything that goes wrong.

Like virtually any league out there, if you have a problem with a league rule, you propose your change(s). It's discussed and voted on for the start of the next season.

Wrong. League commissioners put in a lot of time to coordinating a league. For many, it goes all year round, and we do it because we love it... Even when we have to deal with the occasional whiners who require constant babysitting and want to point the finger at the commish for anything that goes wrong.

Like virtually any league out there, if you have a problem with a league rule, you propose your change(s). It's discussed and voted on for the start of the next season.

ROFLMAO. So you play in leagues without formal rules like the original poster? Too funny. Recipe for disaster. I commish 3 high entry fee leagues for the last 12 years. Rules are always set in advance of the season. You don't establish IR eligibility rules as you go along. The Commish and league should set the rules before the season starts. The original poster is the commish of a league that necer bothered to do so. That is pretty darned dumb. And lazy.

ROFLMAO. So you play in leagues without formal rules like the original poster? Too funny. Recipe for disaster. I commish 3 high entry fee leagues for the last 12 years. Rules are always set in advance of the season. You don't establish IR eligibility rules as you go along. The Commish and league should set the rules before the season starts. The original poster is the commish of a league that necer bothered to do so. That is pretty darned dumb. And lazy.

Nowhere does it say the OP is the commish. And if you really are a commish, then you would certainly understand that a league constitution is a document that is constantly evolving. You will never have a guarantee that it covers every possible contingency, and the hope is your league is mature that you don't need a 50 page document to address every loophole. Not sure how you can infer some of your other comments from my note but with 10+ years commishing myself, it sounds like you jumped the gun.

Nowhere does it say the OP is the commish. And if you really are a commish, then you would certainly understand that a league constitution is a document that is constantly evolving. You will never have a guarantee that it covers every possible contingency, and the hope is your league is mature that you don't need a 50 page document to address every loophole. Not sure how you can infer some of your other comments from my note but with 10+ years commishing myself, it sounds like you jumped the gun.

whoever said it has to cover 50 pages of loophole? LOL. You are a master of hyperbole. At a minimum, there should be a couple of SENTENCES defining eligibility for IR. Really... even the most rudimentary leagues have rules for IR elligibility. Doesn't take a "50 page" document. A league without that is obviously poorly organized and not well planned out.

Waiting with baited breath for your next response which will distort what I wrote again. Come on, man... you can do it... think extremes... Banking on your exaggerating again. LOL

Edited by Dcat