[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MVP so far.....

Zooty

NFL MVP  

61 members have voted

1. 1. MVP 2015

• J.J. Watt
    • Some undeserving offensive player

Slip made him look bad not once but twice. Ended up sitting on his rump twice. Wasn't all that dominating against the Cowboys. Just sayin......... :shrug:

Murray or Luck would have my vote right now. If I could give it to our O line I would.

I think it's kind of silly talking about this 5 week into the season.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Murray and Luck were the two names that popped out in my mind, but I'll admit that I haven't watched as much football this year as in years past. Watt was unreal in prime time on Thursday though - virtually carried the Texans back into the game. It's hard to know how to compare an offensive player's impact compared to a defensive player. I have a hard time imagining Murray winning because the offensive line really deserves a lot of credit. I could see Murray getting hurt and the Cowboys still being okay. Have a much, much harder time seeing that with Luck getting hurt. And if Watt isn't playing that game on Thursday, the Colts would have probably won going away.

But some people think Demarco Murray, Luck and even Rivers are making a bigger impact :shrug:

Not sure I agree. No doubt Murray and Luck are having huge impacts on their respective teams and should be in the MVP conversation. I am a little less convinced about Rivers as I think he has benefitted from a somewhat softer schdule. Unfortunatley for Watt his impact hasn't been enough to get Houston more wins and that makes his mountain to the MVP even more difficult.

Slip made him look bad not once but twice. Ended up sitting on his rump twice. Wasn't all that dominating against the Cowboys. Just sayin......... :shrug:

Murray or Luck would have my vote right now. If I could give it to our O line I would.

I think it's kind of silly talking about this 5 week into the season.

And how many times has Murray put the ball on the carpet? Expecting Watt to make every single play is just silly especially when you consider he has to fight through double and triple teams.

For me personally I have been more impressed with the dominance of Watt than I have the running of Murray and the passing of Luck. But as you have said ... we are only 5 weeks into the season.

But some people think Demarco Murray, Luck and even Rivers are making a bigger impact :shrug:

I'll go with JJ Watt being MVP so far. But you just inadvertently laid out the problem. MVP voters want players who impact their teams enough where it leads to wins. For all of JJ Watt's awesomeness; Houston is a 500 team. Guys like Murray, Luck, Rivers and other players are leading their teams to wins. For all of Watt's awesomeness on defense; he's still a guy on defense studding out to the point where his team doesn't completely suck balls.

I'll go with JJ Watt being MVP so far. But you just inadvertently laid out the problem. MVP voters want players who impact their teams enough where it leads to wins. For all of JJ Watt's awesomeness; Houston is a 500 team. Guys like Murray, Luck, Rivers and other players are leading their teams to wins. For all of Watt's awesomeness on defense; he's still a guy on defense studding out to the point where his team doesn't completely suck balls.

Kind of a historic problem with QBs getting too much credit for wins and too much for losses. Or guys with their 4th QB comebacks.....maybe if they were better the first 3 quarters they wouldn't need to comeback.

Maybe Hou would be 1-4 without Watt? It's not like he isn't trying, he has as many receiving TDs as Andre Johnson this season. And he has 3 on the year. 3 TDs for a DE....think about that

Not sure I agree. No doubt Murray and Luck are having huge impacts on their respective teams and should be in the MVP conversation. I am a little less convinced about Rivers as I think he has benefitted from a somewhat softer schdule. Unfortunatley for Watt his impact hasn't been enough to get Houston more wins and that makes his mountain to the MVP even more difficult.

Rivers did go for 280 and 3 TD's and 0 int's against the world champs. He's got my vote right now. I agree it probably should be Watt, but I doubt it will be.

Andrew Luck:

66.2 Comp % 1,987 Yds 17 TD 7 INT 99.6 QBR

Phillip Rivers:

70.3 Comp % 1,443 Yds 12 TD 2 INT 116.3 QBR

Demarco Murray:

130 ATT 670 Yds 5.2 YPC 5 TD 1 FUM 15 REC 124 YDS

JJ Watt:

26 COMB 9 AST 4.0 SACK 6 PD 1 INT 2 FR 1 BK 3 TD(INT/FR/REC)

My vote is for Phillip Rivers, but I'm bias lol

Edited by KipperSD

I think Watt will break the season sack record at some point. Maybe not this year, but within the next 3 years would not surprise me one bit. He's been dominating even with Clowney injured, imagine if he can get healthy and that other threat is there to worry about.

Gotta go with Murray at this point. He has dragged America's 4th most popular team back to relevance.

No doubt Watt is spectacular but Murray is most valuable to America's 4th most popular team. Without him they would be the same old mediocre overhyped dysfunctional play toy of an egomaniac old windbag.

I don't think anybody said that, did they? But, like others have alluded to, voters tend to vote certain positions (mainly QB). Not to mention, nobody really agrees (or knows for certain) what the criteria for winning these types of awards should be. In other words, does the winner have to play for a team with a winning record? A playoff team? Or, are we/they just voting on the player that is the best at their position (head and shoulders above the others at that position)? Or, is it the player who "impacts" the game the most? In that case, I would argue that there probably should have been some offensive linemen in the conversation, in past years. But, in all reality, that would/will never be the case. If defensive players are ignored, offensive line are ignored ten-fold.

And how many times has Murray put the ball on the carpet? Expecting Watt to make every single play is just silly especially when you consider he has to fight through double and triple teams.

For me personally I have been more impressed with the dominance of Watt than I have the running of Murray and the passing of Luck. But as you have said ... we are only 5 weeks into the season.

This is my problem with saying Murray is the MVP. Doesn't he lead the league in fumbles? That would be like saying that Watt deserves it, even though he leads the league in penalties, or missed tackles. I don't think an "MVP" should lead the league in mistakes, essentially.

Gotta go with Murray at this point. He has dragged America's 4th most popular team back to relevance.

No doubt Watt is spectacular but Murray is most valuable to America's 4th most popular team. Without him they would be the same old mediocre overhyped dysfunctional play toy of an egomaniac old windbag.

Ummm, no. Like Keg said, what Murray has done isn't that much of a surprise. The Cowboys are running the ball down opponents' throats, no doubt. But, it's been the defense that has made the difference, between previous years and this one. In other words, when you can't stop anybody, you're forced to either play from behind, or you get into shootout situations. In either case, the Cowboys have typically had to pass more than they would have liked, in past years. This year, with the defense playing well, they're able to run as much as they want, and the numbers show that.

I don't think anybody said that, did they? But, like others have alluded to, voters tend to vote certain positions (mainly QB). Not to mention, nobody really agrees (or knows for certain) what the criteria for winning these types of awards should be. In other words, does the winner have to play for a team with a winning record? A playoff team? Or, are we/they just voting on the player that is the best at their position (head and shoulders above the others at that position)? Or, is it the player who "impacts" the game the most? In that case, I would argue that there probably should have been some offensive linemen in the conversation, in past years. But, in all reality, that would/will never be the case. If defensive players are ignored, offensive line are ignored ten-fold.

This is my problem with saying Murray is the MVP. Doesn't he lead the league in fumbles? That would be like saying that Watt deserves it, even though he leads the league in penalties, or missed tackles. I don't think an "MVP" should lead the league in mistakes, essentially.

Ummm, no. Like Keg said, what Murray has done isn't that much of a surprise. The Cowboys are running the ball down opponents' throats, no doubt. But, it's been the defense that has made the difference, between previous years and this one. In other words, when you can't stop anybody, you're forced to either play from behind, or you get into shootout situations. In either case, the Cowboys have typically had to pass more than they would have liked, in past years. This year, with the defense playing well, they're able to run as much as they want, and the numbers show that.

Fair point. However, a case can be made that the inverse is true. Due to Murray's solid consistency they can control the ball and clock thus keeping their D off the field. In addition, the stout running game decreases the need to rely on Romo and his inevitable mistakes which puts the D in shootout situations. The D has improved but without Murray they'd be on the field significantly more.

Fair point. However, a case can be made that the inverse is true. Due to Murray's solid consistency they can control the ball and clock thus keeping their D off the field. In addition, the stout running game decreases the need to rely on Romo and his inevitable mistakes which puts the D in shootout situations. The D has improved but without Murray they'd be on the field significantly more.

I'm not a Murray or Cowboy hater, by any means, and I do think Murray belongs in the conversation, at the very least. But, again, I just think the fact that Murray fumbles as often as he does will make it hard for him to win the award. If he fixes that, and continues his current pace (or anywhere close), I'd give him a decent shot. If one of those doesn't happen (either he slows down, numbers-wise, or the fumbles continue), I'd say that there's no way he wins MVP. As in, I'd give him a less than 10% chance.

Right now, I would not only put Watt ahead of him, I'd put Rivers, Luck, Manning, and Rodgers in the top 5 as well. I think Murray is borderline top-five, honestly. And, by season's end, it wouldn't surprise me if any of 4-5 other QB's are in the mix as well (Wilson, Cutler, Brady, or even Flacco/Romo).

Edited by Gopher

So by this logic, Watt shouldn't in it either.

If Houston's offense didn't suck so bad Watt wouldn't be on the field so much and his #'s wouldn't be near what they are now