[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A New Russell Wilson?

BS Miscreant

As a owner who started Wilson last week, I was obviously thrilled to see the dynamism with which he played but I'm not convinced that his play is something we should expect going forward. Am I wrong?

Is what we saw last week a look at things to come? Were the training wheels finally taken off?

or

Did they just see a massive kink in the Redskins armor, exploit it and it's back to boring, safe Wilson again this week?

Maybe it was just a fluke?

Well if 200 yards passing is taking off the training wheels, I'd keep waiting

What about 100+ rush yds and 1 rush TD?

I've never like these types of QBs long term but Wilson sure is starting to look like this can be a normal thing, at least with the team he has.

Well if 200 yards passing is taking off the training wheels, I'd keep waiting

You know better than to limit a player evaluation to one stat. Since I know you are more savvy than that I'll operate under the assumption that you didn't actually see the game. Wilson dropped back to pass 30+ times, threw the ball down the field more than usual(including one of his two TD passes that were called back due to penalty), on at least a couple of his scrambles he was clearly looking down field before tucking it and running, and several of his 11 carries were clearly designed runs.

Dude is a very good passer and a fantastic athlete and it actually looked as if he was the focus of the offense Monday night.

I doubt Wilson will run as much in the next several games combined as he did on MNF. Not sure what was up with the WA defense completely ignoring him without a spy. Other teams won't scheme that bad. I do however, think there is more potential for him to throw a bit more this season than he has in the past.

Not so sure this is necessarily a new Russel Wilson though. Seattle's already been on national TV quite a bit this season and people saw him seal the deal for the win against Denver and Washington. He's been routinely doing this since halfway through his rookie year; but people only looked at the stat line and assumed he was a game manager.

I don't think there are any training wheels on a Super Bowl winning quarterback. Wilson simply has the luxury of taking what is there. If a team was ever able to stop Seattle's running game I think Wilson would put up big number throwing the ball.

What about 100+ rush yds and 1 rush TD?

I've never like these types of QBs long term but Wilson sure is starting to look like this can be a normal thing, at least with the team he has.

that is never going to be a normal thing. Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1

You know better than to limit a player evaluation to one stat. Since I know you are more savvy than that I'll operate under the assumption that you didn't actually see the game. Wilson dropped back to pass 30+ times, threw the ball down the field more than usual(including one of his two TD passes that were called back due to penalty), on at least a couple of his scrambles he was clearly looking down field before tucking it and running, and several of his 11 carries were clearly designed runs.

Dude is a very good passer and a fantastic athlete and it actually looked as if he was the focus of the offense Monday night.

I did watch the game, very good as a throwing QB. The rushing yards we're flukey and can't be counted on. He's definitely developing as a thrower but I still think it's a year or 2 plus some better WRs away from a guy who can be counted on in fantasy. If I were a Seahawks fan though, I'd be giddy.

Wilson shouldn't be your fantasy quarterback. He simply isn't asked to do enough.

Agree. We'll see as that team evolves and he is asked to do more if he can carry the team

Wilson shouldn't be your fantasy quarterback. He simply isn't asked to do enough.

In the various scoring systems that I play in, Wilson is ranked as either the 2nd or 4th highest QB in fantasy points per game.

Wilson is never going to be a top fantasy QB as his focus is on being efficient and mistake free rather than putting up prodigious stats. He'll take whatever the defense gives him and make good decisions almost every time. Occasionally that means rushing yards and TDs like last week, but usually it'll just be 30-40 yards of well-timed runs for first downs. As Mr Brown already pointed out, the training wheels have been off since his rookie year. Carroll and Bevel have complete confidence in him. He'll just never put up huge numbers because the offense is so balanced it's rarely needed. He is the Aikman of his generation - mediocre fantasy QB but top 5 game day QB.

that is never going to be a normal thing.

I agree with this. I guess I was saying he can put up good numbers in both facets, passing and rushing which is good for fantasy. But boy did that STL game make my statement look good haha! I agree though, it's hard to predict and it's not going to be normal. But I will say he is looking like the most intelligent mobile QB I've ever seen and that's what made me say it could potentially be more normal than a Vick of the past or a Cam Newton. He can almost decide what he's going to do in a game whether the opponent likes it or not.