[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers RB situation

Poma1441

... once Matthews is healthy?

Not trying to be a wise guy but ... if he 'gets healthy' ... based on past history, how long will he remain 'healthy'... a week, maybe two weeks? Perhaps a better question to pose is 'what happens if/when Donald Brown returns'?

Not trying to be a wise guy but ... if he 'gets healthy' ... based on past history, how long will he remain 'healthy'... a week, maybe two weeks? Perhaps a better question to pose is 'what happens if/when Donald Brown returns'?

I picked up Oliver and he looks really good, I would be shocked if the Chargers sit him but that will most likely happen.

He has out played Brown and Matthews with ease.

Full disclaimer, I picked up Oliver this week and I have no other SD RBs.

On the upside, Rivers has kept the defense honest with a great season thus far which helps the unfriendly SD run schedule. And I don't think there is a lead back in San Diego anymore (not that there ever was). That being said, I think Oliver has earned himself at least 10 carries a game until he blows it. As the other RBs get healthy, he will likely get less than 20 carries a game.

So my guess going forward is 10-15 carries a game with the occasional TD.

• Like 1

As long as Mathews is healthy he will be the starter, although he will surely get hurt again. He was their first round pick a few years ago and is coming off of a career year running the ball plus he looked good even though they started the year with two tough run defenses. Oliver will have a good bit of value for the rest of the year, he will start until Mathews comes back and will still be pretty heavily involved afterward. As for Donald Brown, he was atrocious despite being given every chance to succeed so he will go back to being a non-factor

• Like 1

I'm not sure why we needed another thread on Oliver. Us Charger homers have already answered all of these questions

Honestly, who cares??? There wasn't a San Diego running back thread within 50 threads!! Lighten up thread police. Geez.

• Like 1

There are numerous threads on a lot of similar topics. If one looks like a rehash of something you've seen and you have nothing to learn or add to that topic by all means feel free to not click on the thread.

Sorry to bump this thread, but this needs to be said.

By the same token everybody who starts a new thread could first search for the player (team, position) they're going to be discussing to see if there is another thread that covers it. Or many of the regulars who post information and opinions could just stop commenting on these repetitive threads that get opened every week by people too lazy to take 5 seconds and search.

It would also help more relavent topics stay on the first page where they can be discussed.

Not trying to be thread police, just asking for people to use a little common sense and try to see if their desired topic is already being discussed.

• Like 1

Simply based on health and availability Oliver is the lead (only legit) option this week. Brown is still on concussion protocol and not yet cleared to play. SD is on a short week 8 with a Thurs game. 50/50 chance Brown plays that week. Mathews hasn't even resumed running yet.

In summary, it maybe:

week 7 - Oliver - lead

week 8 - Oliver - lead with a slight chance of Brown return

week 9 - Oliver/Brown split

week 10 - BYE

week 11 - back to RBBC - Oliver/Brown/Mathews.

• Like 1

IMO they will take their time bringing Matthews back as BO is obviously capable of handling lead back duties...and Matthews being made of glass and all.

Brown, when he comes back, will be #2 and eventually #3..... what hes always been.

BO has been a great boost of energy for a generally older - yet obviously still potent - offense.He isn't going anywhere and they'd be crazy to reel him in even a little.

Simply based on health and availability Oliver is the lead (only legit) option this week. Brown is still on concussion protocol and not yet cleared to play. SD is on a short week 8 with a Thurs game. 50/50 chance Brown plays that week. Mathews hasn't even resumed running yet.

In summary, it maybe:

week 7 - Oliver - lead

week 8 - Oliver - lead with a slight chance of Brown return

week 9 - Oliver/Brown split

week 10 - BYE

week 11 - back to RBBC - Oliver/Brown/Mathews.

Good thoughts here, and I'll expand a bit...

Week 12 - Mathews lead, with Oliver taking 30-40% of snaps and Brown relegated to spot duty only (if anything)

Week 13 or perhaps 14 - Mathews re-aggravates injury and Oliver regains starting spot, with Brown taking 20-30% of snaps

Oliver will move into your Flex spot once Mathews returns. They will more than likely use him in a Danny Woodhead type role. 3rd downs and pass plays. He will still have value, but he won't be getting 20+ carries anymore unless (until) Mathews gets hurt again.

Yes to this.

Edited by wpayers