[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers RB situation

Poma1441

Simply based on health and availability Oliver is the lead (only legit) option this week. Brown is still on concussion protocol and not yet cleared to play. SD is on a short week 8 with a Thurs game. 50/50 chance Brown plays that week. Mathews hasn't even resumed running yet.

In summary, it maybe:

week 7 - Oliver - lead

week 8 - Oliver - lead with a slight chance of Brown return

week 9 - Oliver/Brown split

week 10 - BYE

week 11 - back to RBBC - Oliver/Brown/Mathews.

I like this a lot!

The Chargers will likely work Mathews back in slowly, giving Oliver the bulk of the work. I can't see them going away from the hot hand. They've proven already that they're willing to cut a draft pick (Grice) in favor of a free agent (Oliver) or cut dead weight (such as Derek Cox last year). Plus, Oliver has seemed pretty good with ball security thus far and he is conscientious, humble, and a good dude. There's alot to like about him.

That being said, Mathews put up solid nos. last year and fueled the ground attack that led them into the playoffs. Despite his track record with injuries, he can be a force. The Chargers will find a way to get him in the mix when he gets healthy.

As a Charger fan, it'll be a good problem to have when Mathews gets back since RBs take alot of hits and you wanna be at least 2 to 3 deep.

• 2 weeks later...

Oliver's been less than stellar the last two weeks, and with RM coming back soon, IMO, I think he could be dropped. Defenses are game-planning for him now, he's no longer an unknown... etc etc etc. I call it "The Quinton Ganther Effect". Player comes in during a season with fresh legs, no game bumps and bruises, and does well. Then, after a couple/few weeks... drops off significantly. Only problem, IMO, is the guy he's replacing and is coming back, is brittle. Oliver could have value this season still, but I don't think it will be much unless RM gets hurt again (50/50 on that happening again?).