[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleveland Backfield - Ground and (Dog) Pound

wpayers

Nice story unfolding in Cleveland with Hoyer, Tate and their D playing well. And oh yes, JoshG will join the family for Thanksgiving and stay through Xmas.If Pettine can coax a little more out of the D the Browns will be in the mix.

From a FF perspective, it is clear Pettine has taken a page from his old boss Rex's book and appears to have created his own ground and (dog) pound strategy. Tate is the top dog and Crowell is a quality COP flex.

But what about West? I see him as Tate's handcuff over Crowell. If Tate goes down again I think that West will take his place rather than Crowell. That's what happened in week 2. Crowell will remain the COP no matter who the starter is. SO, if given the choice, as a Tate owner wouldn't it be wiser to add West over Crowell to your bench?

No. Crowell leapt over West several weeks ago, I don't believe they will revert back.

This. The only thing to keep an eye on is Crowell did fumble twice and lose one with a limited amount of carries on Sunday, but one did look like it was more Hoyer's fault on a pitch. So as long as that's not a regular thing, Crowell is the clear #2 for the rest of the year.

This. The only thing to keep an eye on is Crowell did fumble twice and lose one with a limited amount of carries on Sunday, but one did look like it was more Hoyer's fault on a pitch. So as long as that's not a regular thing, Crowell is the clear #2 for the rest of the year.

Actually he dropped two pitches, one may have been credited to Hoyer (didn't look at the stats but saw the game and Trent Green said one was on Hoyer not a good pitch). The fumble he lost was big I was just thinking "hold on to the ball" when it happened. He didn't play as much after that, and when he did he was tentative and looked more concerned with not fumbling than running and gaining yards. They were trying to grind out the clock, so that may be preferrable.

Was kind of surprised that West was a healthy scratch, don't recall him being inactive before. If he is inactive again and Crowell continues to get carriers in key situations next week that will seal it.

Actually he dropped two pitches, one may have been credited to Hoyer (didn't look at the stats but saw the game and Trent Green said one was on Hoyer not a good pitch). The fumble he lost was big I was just thinking "hold on to the ball" when it happened. He didn't play as much after that, and when he did he was tentative and looked more concerned with not fumbling than running and gaining yards. They were trying to grind out the clock, so that may be preferrable.

Was kind of surprised that West was a healthy scratch, don't recall him being inactive before. If he is inactive again and Crowell continues to get carriers in key situations next week that will seal it.

So did you think there was 3 fumbles (2 pitches plus the one he lost)? I thought there was 3 fumbles as well, but only 2 pop up on the stat sheet and I didn't want to watch the game over again just to confirm it.

I was surprised Pettine put him back at all after losing the fumble.

Edit: Answering my own question - the pitch that Hoyer messed up probably didn't count as a fumble for Crowell.

Edited by LookingForALeague

So did you think there was 3 fumbles (2 pitches plus the one he lost)? I thought there was 3 fumbles as well, but only 2 pop up on the stat sheet and I didn't want to watch the game over again just to confirm it.

I was surprised Pettine put him back at all after losing the fumble.

Edit: Answering my own question - the pitch that Hoyer messed up probably didn't count as a fumble for Crowell.

Correct

Hoyer 1 fumble 0 lost

Crowell 2 fumbles 1 lost

Both pitches were catchable by Crowell, one was a bad toss (low I recall) and he didn't catch it. Both times he made a good move to recover the ball, and one time he even made a 1-2 yard gain out of it instead of 3-5 yard loss (Hoyer made a nice block on that one).

Guy has talent, but fumbling is never good. Just reviwed the play-by-play, 2 carries for Crowell after the lost fumble, 1 and -2 yards which came after 3 straight carries for Tate, next possession 3 straight for Tate before punt.

Both Crowell and West are on waivers. I own Tate. I have only one spot on my bench to burn here. I am set at RB (RB1a Charles, RB1b Foster and Tate at Flex). Neither Crowell nor West will crack the lineup unless there is an injury. So I am looking in terms of basic handcuff insurance.

Crowell's role is exactly the point of my original post. He is playing well as the clear COP RB. By definition that makes him #2 behind Tate. But Pettine is employing a 2 back system like many other teams, NOT a rotation. When goes Tate down, and he will go down again, Crowell will continue his COP role with West taking Tate's place in the 2 back system. Granted, Crowell's touches may increase but West has as good a chance to thrive. Therefore, when considering a handcuff for Tate I see it as West.

BTW, I still have to submit claims for either of them and Crowell maybe gone (I have the 8/12 slot) Now adding the fumbles into the equation increases the complexity. 2 equations but 3 unknowns.

Edited by wpayers

I am not a huge fan of Ben Tate's but I feel like he is about to explode starting this week against Jax (for as long as he stays on the field). Crowell should be owned in a lot of leagues because Tate is so fragile

Edited by TonyBromo