[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Europe? WFL, IFL, Whatever you want to call it, will never share the European sports market

IrishPride

NFL was losing like 30 million a season in its hay day in Europe. The NFL realized that rotating marque games each year was more lucrative and the players were actual NFL caliber athletes,not 3rd string players that didn't make NFL teams. So they put the best product in an effort to save their globalization and its on life support.

Why not? They are talking about Canada again? The Bills were seriously being considered for relocation there? There's a game in London this week? Why not? The thread is basically about how bad it has failed? In the last 15 years where has European soccer had an explosion in popularity? The united states, from youth level to professional level because we have embraced the sport. The Europeans do not like american football and consider it a threat to their national past time and will never embrace it. For the simple fact, it has no roots and has died every time we plant the NFL seed in Europe.

It was already being discussed in another thread.

NFL is gonna try it in the UK because every NFL game at Wembley has been a sell-out except for the game after the lockout. Comparisons with NFL Europe are worthless because they aren't the same thing, watching a bunch of guys not good enough to make an NFL roster doesn't draw much of a crowd in the US so was doomed to fail in Europe.

It's never going to be as popular as Soccer of course, just like how Soccer in the US is no way near as popular as Football and Baseball but that doesn't mean there isn't a market there. A franchise is a terrible idea for me but growing the market in the UK makes sense as it is working and I would never have believed there was the fan base to host three games when this venture started in 2006

I mean even the Raiders and Jags can produce sellouts in the UK which is more than can be said in their own cities.

Edited by Dolphin_Akie

It was already being discussed in another thread.

NFL is gonna try it in the UK because every NFL game at Wembley has been a sell-out except for the game after the lockout. Comparisons with NFL Europe are worthless because they aren't the same thing, watching a bunch of guys not good enough to make an NFL roster doesn't draw much of a crowd in the US so was doomed to fail in Europe.

It's never going to be as popular as Soccer of course, just like how Soccer in the US is no way near as popular as Football and Baseball but that doesn't mean there isn't a market there. A franchise is a terrible idea for me but growing the market in the UK makes sense as it is working and I would never have believed there was the fan base to host three games when this venture started in 2006

I mean even the Raiders and Jags can produce sellouts in the UK which is more than can be said in their own cities.

See that's where I disagree, Soccer is coming to america and in record breaking fashion. Here's a quote from an article and I'll attach a link......."This is a very different time in the history of the game in this country," Rawlins said, citing Americans' recent engagement with the World Cup. "You have to look at the timing of all of this relative to the explosion in popularity of soccer. We're riding an unprecedented wave of popularity with the sport.", ​with concussions being the new face of the NFL, mothers of our youth are steering their children towards soccer. I have a ten year old and believe me when I tell you our youth by numbers are playing more soccer than football now. So I'm not saying that soccer is going to surpass MLB or NFL but its a penny stock in the us that some day will be worth millions..... its getting its roots.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/soccer-ready-take-united-states-n176386

So maybe the OP should have been, Soccer will someday be what the NFL wants in Europe.......Soccer is already global and now it was tapped the biggest revenue stream in the world, the great old usa.

See that's where I disagree, Soccer is coming to america and in record breaking fashion. Here's a quote from an article and I'll attach a link......."This is a very different time in the history of the game in this country," Rawlins said, citing Americans' recent engagement with the World Cup. "You have to look at the timing of all of this relative to the explosion in popularity of soccer. We're riding an unprecedented wave of popularity with the sport.",​with concussions being the new face of the NFL, mothers of our youth are steering their children towards soccer. I have a ten year old and believe me when I tell you our youth by numbers are playing more soccer than football now. So I'm not saying that soccer is going to surpass MLB or NFL but its a penny stock in the us that some day will be worth millions..... its getting its roots.

http://www.nbcnews.c...-states-n176386

So maybe the OP should have been, Soccer will someday be what the NFL wants in Europe.......Soccer is already global and now it was tapped the biggest revenue stream in the world, the great old usa.

I can't comment on the popularity of Soccer in the US since I don't live there and have read very little about it. But all these arguments about Soccer's wave of new fans in the US is irrelevant in a debate about whether growing American Football in Europe will be successful. I'm not saying it will be more successful or anything but the game is visibly growing in this country.

Satellite TV is showing more games and content whilst there is a round-up show on free TV weekly as well as the London games aired live. The exposure on terrestrial channels only happened in the past 2-3 years.

The domestic game is slowly growing with more teams at senior, youth and university level springing up. Participation will lead to more fans of the game and vice versa whilst the new NFL rule about cities winning the right to host the Super Bowl also having to give up a home game to play in London takes away the issue of finding enough teams to do it.

See that's where I disagree, Soccer is coming to america and in record breaking fashion. Here's a quote from an article and I'll attach a link......."This is a very different time in the history of the game in this country," Rawlins said, citing Americans' recent engagement with the World Cup. "You have to look at the timing of all of this relative to the explosion in popularity of soccer. We're riding an unprecedented wave of popularity with the sport.",​with concussions being the new face of the NFL, mothers of our youth are steering their children towards soccer. I have a ten year old and believe me when I tell you our youth by numbers are playing more soccer than football now. So I'm not saying that soccer is going to surpass MLB or NFL but its a penny stock in the us that some day will be worth millions..... its getting its roots.

http://www.nbcnews.c...-states-n176386

No, we have been force feed soccer since the 70's. Most people still don't care

• Like 2

You honestly think soccer is not more popular now? Look at your local high schools and youth programs? Lets get this right out in the open, I'm not a huge soccer fan, my biggest exposure was when i was in Italy and Roberto Baggio missed the penalty kick and Italy lost? I'm not a huge fan but I watch to support the US in world cup etc.... But its funny because die hard football fans we are but don't think soccer is going away anytime soon. maybe its just a New York thing? Youth numbers in urban america Pop Warner/NFL Youth leagues are being chipped at, #'s are down and those are future fans and consumers.

• Like 1

Exactly during the World Cup the media had people believing that every American was tuning in to watch, and we were all suddenly soccer fans. I didn't watch any of it and still don't care about soccer one bit. Don't follow hockey, speed skating, track and field or various other sports but do watch some during the Olympics.

Anyway stealing home games from a handful of mediocre/bad NFL teams that have trouble selling out will get old after a while. NFL fans in the UK will want a Cowboys-Giants game, Steelers-Colts, Pats-Broncos or some other big games with teams that won't ever give up a home game. The novelty will wear off, attendance will drop and they'll go away. (That is what I hope for and believe will happen.) If they try to move a team to London they'll have more logistics issues than 10 Super Bowls.

PS As the OP of the other thread, specifically to discuss the early start and fantasy implications I think a seperate thread to discuss the viability of NFL games in London is a good idea.

Edited by stevegrab

You honestly think soccer is not more popular now? Look at your local high schools and youth programs? Lets get this right out in the open, I'm not a huge soccer fan, my biggest exposure was when i was in Italy and Roberto Baggio missed the penalty kick and Italy lost? I'm not a huge fan but I watch to support the US in world cup etc.... But its funny because die hard football fans we are but don't think soccer is going away anytime soon. maybe its just a New York thing? Youth numbers in urban america Pop Warner/NFL Youth leagues are being chipped at, #'s are down and those are future fans and consumers.

No I think he means what he said, most people (the majority of Americans) still don't care about soccer.

Sure it is more popular, more kids play, more people watch it (especially the real good soccer from European leagues) due to the increased exposure. But many still don't follow it, and it is nowhere near as popular as football, basketball or baseball (not sure about hockey).

Have you ever heard the term "tallest midget"?

Or this analogy, "I'm doing better in chemistry class. This time I got a 25% on my test. Last time was a 21%."

Yes, I agree some interest is more than no interest

Lies, damn lies and statistics.....

Have you ever heard the term "tallest midget"?

Or this analogy, "I'm doing better in chemistry class. This time I got a 25% on my test. Last time was a 21%."

Yes, I agree some interest is more than no interest

Lies, damn lies and statistics.....

Some how you were able to tie "midget and soccer" together in the same post. Classic, who says we dont have fun.

Anyway stealing home games from a handful of mediocre/bad NFL teams that have trouble selling out will get old after a while. NFL fans in the UK will want a Cowboys-Giants game, Steelers-Colts, Pats-Broncos or some other big games with teams that won't ever give up a home game. The novelty will wear off, attendance will drop and they'll go away. (That is what I hope for and believe will happen.)

You once again forget that NFL in London is an European event with an European attendance. NFL London is not going away #dealwithit

You once again forget that NFL in London is an European event with an European attendance. NFL London is not going away #dealwithit

No I get that it is European as in people from multiple countries in Europe attend. I'm not dense and know that Europe is more compact geographically compared to the US, people go from UK to France, Spain, Germany etc. regularly. But this is an NFL game in London, hosted by people running stadiums in LONDON, and the NFL talks about LONDON games. So to me it is a London thing.

It may not ever go away, they may even get a team in London. I don't have to like it, and I will continue to hope and pray that the practice ends. It is beyond assinine and nothing but a money grab. As long as the fans of these teams do not put up a stink, their owners will continue to give away games. (Of course not the powerful owners of popular teams, talking to you JJ, Kraft, Rooney, etc.)

• Like 1

No I get that it is European as in people from multiple countries in Europe attend. I'm not dense and know that Europe is more compact geographically compared to the US, people go from UK to France, Spain, Germany etc. regularly. But this is an NFL game in London, hosted by people running stadiums in LONDON, and the NFL talks about LONDON games. So to me it is a London thing.

It may not ever go away, they may even get a team in London. I don't have to like it, and I will continue to hope and pray that the practice ends. It is beyond assinine and nothing but a money grab. As long as the fans of these teams do not put up a stink, their owners will continue to give away games. (Of course not the powerful owners of popular teams, talking to you JJ, Kraft, Rooney, etc.)

Despite living in the UK I'm not a fan of it, it won't stop because of the money made but I only went this year as it was the Phins playing. A franchise may work but I don't want it and don't think concessions should be made to suit the European market, like the early KO time this week.

• Like 1