[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Formal Apology to Jason Garrett

Cowboyz1

AND Thank you to Jerry Jones

It's time I formally apologize for my apathy and critical voice towards our coach Jason Garrett. He took over as interm coach in 2010 and was "Jerry's Guy" which always scares the hell out of me. Looking back on it, Jerry and his son seem to have come to an accord. They seem to have agreed to share power and include their head coach in the decision making. Positive step number 1.

The Making of the 6-1 Powerhouse 2014 Dallas Cowboys

So here is what I see now, that I didn't see back then. Then being 2011's 8-8 season. We were patching up the O line with journeymen guys and doing the same on defense with only Lee and Ware as superstars. What I didn't see coming was the change in draft philosophy. Between Wade Phillips and Jerry they both wanted stars. In 2010 they drafted Dez, Lee and 4 players that no longer on on the team.

They went 1-7 to start that year which got Wade fired and began the Garrett era.

The first thing Garrett had to do was finish strong and prove the team would play for him. He did that. The team was in just about every game losing by 3, 1 and 3 in the only games they lost in the second half of the season. The next thing he had to do was draft well and not have a losing record while he rebuilt the team to keep the pressure off him and Jerry. How did he do that?

He hired great coaches. He kept the O line coach in Hudson Houck, he brought in a team of great coaches that could coach up the players he had. He had perhaps the best positions coaching he could find, even hired consultants for every position group.

His press conferences were generic. "We need to focus on this week", "we need to get the right kind of guys who go about their business the right way","It's a process and we are just continuing the process of building the team with the right kind of guys". All boring and uninformative stuff right. But was it?

You see, he was a part of the 90's Cowboys teams and he new what a Superbowl team looked and felt like. He saw what Jimmy Johnson did to build a superbowl winning team. If Jason Garrett is one thing, it's SMART. He is also very humble and players, staffers, even the janitor loves the guy. So what does he do, well lets take a look.

2011 1 9 Tyron Smith OL

2011 2 40 Bruce Carter LB

2011 3 71 DeMarco Murray RB

2011 4 110 David Arkin OL

2011 5 143 Josh Thomas DB

2011 6 176 Dwayne Harris WR

2011 7 220 Shaun Chapas RB

2011 7 252 Bill Nagy OL

Goes 7 for 8 on draft picks with 3 pro bowlers. Smith, Murray and Harris as one of the best special teamers in the league. Carter, Nagy both help the LB core and O line at key points during the season in which seemed like players were going down like flies. The only bad miss was Chapas but hey 7 round pick.

2012 1 6 Morris Claiborne DB

2012 3 81 Tyrone Crawford DE

2012 4 113 Kyle Wilber LB

2012 4 135 Matt Johnson SS

2012 5 152 Danny Coale WR

2012 6 186 James Hanna TE

2012 7 222 Caleb McSurdy LB

This was the last year that Jerry Jones dictated the draft. You could tell that he wanted to splash and that got them off track. You will see by next years draft the strings were moved info a few more hands. I recall a big argument about the picks that year. Garrett and Stephen Jones both storming out of Jerry's office upset at his stubbornness. This was a typical Jerry draft. Flashy but short on talent.

Did get some solid players in Crawford, Wilber, Hanna, while we never new with Glass Johnson and McSurdy's career ending injury. But MO is probably a bust.

But now look at how they got back to business.

2013 1 31 Travis Frederick OL

2013 2 47 Gavin Escobar TE

2013 3 74 Terrance Williams WR

2013 3 80 J.J. Wilcox FS

2013 4 114 B.W. Webb DB

2013 5 151 Joseph Randle RB

2013 6 185 DeVonte Holloman

Now this was a defining draft and WAY WAY far away from a Jerry Draft. This draft is 7-7 folks. That's right. I must admit even I threw up my hands and said "who the FK is Travis Frederick". We all know who he his is now. Perhaps the best center in all of football. You saw what Escabar can do last week with 2 touchdowns. Terrance Williams or (TD Williams) or Toe Tap Williams which ever you prefer is playing at a pro bowl level. JJ Wilcox starting FS. Randle and Holloman both have played well when needed. Webb the only player cut this year but could also play and was picked up by the Steelers as soon as he cleared waivers.

2014 1 16 Zack Martin OL 2014

2014 2 34 Demarcus Lawrence DE

2014 4 119 Anthony Hitchens LB

2014 5 146 Devin Street WR 2014

2014 7 231 Ben Gardner DE

2014 7 238 Will Smith LB

2014 7 248 Ahmad Dixon SS

2014 7 251 Ken Bishop DT 2014

2014 7 254 Terrance Mitchell CB

Now here is where the final piece of the puzzle what slammed home. Folks you're looking at another 7 players. A pro bowl G in Martin that if the voting were not skewed towards skill plays, is hands down rookie of the year. Demarcus II is coming on line in two weeks after breaking a bone in his foot trying to get by our Mauler in Tyron Smith. Hitchens who was able to hold own the Mike LB spot like a pro leading the team in tackles and a forced fumble in his first start. Both street and Bishop are solid.

Oh and a simple phone call from Jerry Jones gets Rolando McClain, the 8th player taken in the 2011 draft, comes in to start at Mike linebacker in place of Sean Lee and shocks the house dominating the position. This kid is for real folks. He may be better then Sean Lee at the position. That is SCARY.

Now lets zoom out at see what Garrett has assembled here in three years.

Our O line with three 1st round pick is perhaps the best in the league allowing Murray to break Jim Browns record for 100 yard games with 7 and will soon be 8 after monday night.

Now Romo doesn't have to do it all and has time to pick teams apart which he is doing week in and week out. El Matador (slip) which ever you prefer has been this guy all along. The difference now is the he doesn't have to make magic on every play throwing into cover two with a extra safety or LB playing robber knowing we have to throw to win. You don't see teams dropping LB and linemen into coverage anymore ending up in places they shouldn't be, when Romo throws a ball that ends up picked. Defenses have to focus on the run now so Romo can throw against straight up coverage.

So I am here to say Sorry Jason for not seeing what you were doing. Thank you Jerry for giving up some control and letting your son and Jason build this team they way it should have been built long ago.

For now we have a juggernaut that can go on the road, in the cold, into Seattle, and dare I say Green Bay and Maul teams up front. We can run on you and if you slow that down, we can pass all over you. On defense we force you to drive by limiting big plays. We take the ball away and get off the field on third down. This team is built to win and win for the next few years. This team is physical! As evidence I submit teams that play the Cowboys are 1-5 the next game out. That's because they were punished folks. Just like in the glory years. We use to be the team that players were on the turf after a play in the 4th quarter rolling around one after the other. Did you see the Seahawks players on the last run by Murray. The linebacker was on his rump, Sherman was a scare crow holding his shoulder down like his arm was about to fall off, and the lineman was face down. As for Murray, he got up, dropped the ball, looked back and strolled back to the huddle.

Can you imagine next years draft if there's a tackle on the board in the first round. Then all defense in the rest. Boy oh Boy the Cowboys are back. Thanks to Garrett and is staff of coaches, looks like we are going to be a team to reckon with for years to come. The Cowboys are relevant again.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 2

Well said. Btw, when they selected Travis Frederick, I nearly lost my mind as well considering he had a 3rd round grade.

Well said. Btw, when they selected Travis Frederick, I nearly lost my mind as well considering he had a 3rd round grade.

Somebody in this organization has an eye for talent and they are trusting him. Getting the best center in football tells me a lot of so called xperts missed badly. But we didn't! :brow:

You obviously haven't been watching him play. You name me another center playing better than he is and I'll will watch him and tell you what I think.

Kelce, same division. Of course he's not technically playing right now since he's been out

Some good analsysis. Still sounding rather homerish, and trying to spin this 6-1 start into some proof that every criticism of the Cowboys (Jerry, Garret, Slip, Dez, the D) over the last few years was really not justified.

Lose a few games, or have that critical mistake to cost you a playoff game and you'll be singng a different tune.

Let's see if Frederick even makes the Pro Bowl before declaring him the best center in the NFL.

• Like 1

The Wolf: Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.

Plenty of time for the bottom to fall out. You know it will :brow:

I think I heard a thud

looks like a few of those blitzs that killed Slip came right up the middle.

:whistle:

I think I heard a thud

looks like a few of those blitzs that killed Slip came right up the middle.

:whistle:

Everyone knew this game was coming. Fumbles, fumbles and more mmistakes And of course it was to a Washington team that has always had our number with haslett. No worries. Arizona is a big game now though.

More concerned that the first time we get our starting 3 linebackers back in the game Durant goes down for the season to end their together streak before it even gets started.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Everyone knew this game was coming. Fumbles, fumbles and more mmistakes And of course it was to a Washington team that has always had our number with haslett. No worries. Arizona is a big game now though.

More concerned that the first time we get our starting 3 linebackers back in the game Durant goes down for the season to end their together streak before it even gets started.

thump thump.....thump thump.

Don't worry the tire isn't flat.......

• Like 1