[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mettenberger to start...

keggerz

Any thoughts on how he does in the long run? Never seen him play. Can he sling the ball around?

He can sling, arm strength won't be an issue for him. He's no lock for future success but has the tools necessary to be a viable NFL starter.

Hello Mr. Mettenberger, my name is Watt, J.J. Watt.

Talk about a baptism under fire. fwiw, this could be very good for Justin Hunter.

I get what your point is, but do you still really think this holds true as much as it used to in previous years (i.e. what I think is the "old" NFL)? Not just players in general, but there are many examples of young QBs coming in and not being "deer in the headlights" like they used to be. Kap, Wilson, Davis (all just in the NFC West).

I'm interested in this game from the perspective of a rookie QB starting with a rookie RB. So far, Sankey has been frustratingly all hype this year.

He can sling, arm strength won't be an issue for him. He's no lock for future success but has the tools necessary to be a viable NFL starter.

He can throw, but makes poor decisions that were often covered up by a great recieving corp, very good running game & outstanding defense.

I get what your point is, but do you still really think this holds true as much as it used to in previous years (i.e. what I think is the "old" NFL)? Not just players in general, but there are many examples of young QBs coming in and not being "deer in the headlights" like they used to be. Kap, Wilson, Davis (all just in the NFC West).

I'm interested in this game from the perspective of a rookie QB starting with a rookie RB. So far, Sankey has been frustratingly all hype this year.

I'm strictly talking about facing Watt in his first start.

I'd say there's easily 2-3 times as many examples (in the past 10 years or so) of rookie QBs coming in and looking like deer in the headlights, and being chased by ferocious animals.

Even a season of sitting and observing does not prepare these guys for the speed of the game, and a beast like Watt chasing them around.

I'm strictly talking about facing Watt in his first start.

Gotcha.

I'd say there's easily 2-3 times as many examples (in the past 10 years or so) of rookie QBs coming in and looking like deer in the headlights, and being chased by ferocious animals.

Even a season of sitting and observing does not prepare these guys for the speed of the game, and a beast like Watt chasing them around.

And I don't doubt that assessment at all. But do you think if we shorten that from past 10 years or so to maybe 5 or so, the trend changes a little? IDK... just feels like there haven't been as many deer in headlights recently for QBs. Some I wouldn't consider that option, I would simply flat out say they suck. Case in point, Geno. He sucks on a team that blows.

Not to mention the possible return of Clowney.

Gotcha.

And I don't doubt that assessment at all. But do you think if we shorten that from past 10 years or so to maybe 5 or so, the trend changes a little? IDK... just feels like there haven't been as many deer in headlights recently for QBs. Some I wouldn't consider that option, I would simply flat out say they suck. Case in point, Geno. He sucks on a team that blows.

Locker, Ponder, Weeden, just to name a few. Now maybe you could say they suck, maybe you say the same about Mattenberger. I don't follow college football much, so I have a harder time knowing who sucks and who doesn't when they enter the NFL. But from my experience, there are still way more rookie QBs that have that deer in the headlights look than ones that don't. The ones that can come in and play right away are the exception, not the rule. I cannot deny we've seen more exceptions lately, but that hasn't been a big enough trend yet..

He is the only rookie I was looking at drafting in my dynasty this year. Once he was gone, I figured to wait on Thomas from AZ. They both have the skills and strength to be capable pro QB's. I'm not sure the value was there in any other QB, so I think ZM can do good things.

His film is impressive - although he's had a ton of athletes behind him. He'll make the throws, and is like Tom Brady was coming out of college.

I was not sold on Carr but he's proved to me he knows the game, and will be a good pro. He knows when to not make a throw, and that is more than half the battle in the NFL.

He is the only rookie I was looking at drafting in my dynasty this year. Once he was gone, I figured to wait on Thomas from AZ. They both have the skills and strength to be capable pro QB's. I'm not sure the value was there in any other QB, so I think ZM can do good things.

His film is impressive - although he's had a ton of athletes behind him. He'll make the throws, and is like Tom Brady was coming out of college.

I was not sold on Carr but he's proved to me he knows the game, and will be a good pro. He knows when to not make a throw, and that is more than half the battle in the NFL.

Tried to match up the same measurables but can't find them on him.... but I think an apt comparison is to Flacco.

Flacco is 2 inches taller, but they have a similar body style.

Super strong arm. Stands tall in the pocket and can plant and deliver the ball with velocity.

FWIW, I also like Thomas.

watching him play against Alabama's NFL-close caliber D over the past few years, I can say he's got talent, is cool in the pocket against the rush (even though Bama nearly killed him (and made him cry) last year) and has a strong arm. Of course he was throwing to Ruben Randle, Odell Beckham, and Jarius Landry at LSU, which would inspire confidence in me as well. I would give a bump to Hunter because he won't be hesitant to air it out ... or experienced enough not too. He'll trust him arm more than Whitehurst and he has a stronger arm than Locker.

Edited by WildTurkey

there are still way more rookie QBs that have that deer in the headlights look than ones that don't.

Of course there are, but that's not what was asked. That's like saying there are lots more white QB's than minority QB's. There may not be a lot, but there are a lot more than 10 years ago. Rookies now come out much more prepared, and coaches do a much better job preparing them to play right away. I believe this is more about the coaches coming to grips with the reality (much like with minority QB's) that just because they are a rookie doesn't mean they can't contribute. There's also far less patience to win these days, so coaches are more willing to go all in on the more talented rookie over the safe but terrible Chad Henne.