[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When to go and when to get punt?

iujam1

Ok I know that ultimately it is to each their own decision but let's face it we all paid for the advice and insight that the Huddle can provide us so when do you take the " Golden Rule " Start Your Studs and move it aside to go with the projections that are provided. Take this week there are many a newcomer on the start list ahead of the Big Name player ( McCoy ) so what does every one think start the name or play the projections I mean they must obviously think these are correct or they wouldn't put it out there right?

In general you start your studs. The trick is figuring out who the studs are and when a stud stops being a stud. IMO you are making a mistake if you seek a formula that can blindly be applied every week without regard to all the factors involved - things like the health of your players, the weather conditions, the match up, the recent trend of your player, etc etc.

• Like 3

Grits nailed it without his usual "start the guys who you think will score the most points", so count yourself lucky.

Megatron is a stud, but I like many owners are not starting him until he shows he is back, or there's more postive word that he's 100% and not going to be a decoy, or quick exit when the injury flares up.

• Like 1

I get the question though.

For me the advice is to start Terrence Williams over Julio. Julio has been down and Detroit has a good secondary vs T Willy at home against the Skins. Both high confidence predictions, but that's just it, they're predictions. I understand where they are coming from and can see how they came to that conclusion. Now it's up to me to process that info and from my research, experience and praying to the football gods, I still think Julio is the better play, but a more thoughtful play than the auto start he was at the beginning of the year.

I think you have to take it as a point of info, process it with other sources, experience, the additive sum of each uniforms color on the RGB scale and then make an educated decision.

• Like 1

In general you start your studs. The trick is figuring out who the studs are and when a stud stops being a stud. IMO you are making a mistake if you seek a formula that can blindly be applied every week without regard to all the factors involved - things like the health of your players, the weather conditions, the match up, the recent trend of your player, etc etc.

Who is this ?? Who hacked Grits account ?? Whoever it was this reply deserves a :tup::clap:
  • Like 1

I actually like the " start the guy you think will score the most " tag and thus the dilemma you go in blind player 1 and insert stats then player 2 insert stats and match ups and it all comes out go with player 2 then you check the names and 1 was the star and 2 not so much but the data doesn't lie and still you have trouble pulling the trigger

7.9675 times out of 10, I use my gut in combination with research, pouring over stats, and analyzing pundit blabber.

The other 2.0325 times, I use my gut in combination with research, pouring over stats, and analyzing pundit blabber.

Player A: projection 5 receptions 75 yards 1 TD Confidence factor: 4 stars

Player B: projection 5 receptions 75 yards 1 TD Confidence factor: 4 stars

Scenario one: Say player A is Antonio Brown and player B is Andre Holmes

You should start Brown because he's the safer play and can provide as much upside as Holmes does.

Scenario two: Player A is Julio Jones and player B is Keenan Allen

The answer isn't as easy...Jones is the better talent but he's had a penchant for performing worse on the road, he's dealing with a small injury and the ATL OL sucks. Allen has shown upside but he's been far from a given each and every week this year. For me the answer lies in what you think you need from that WR this week by looking at your opponents lineup (I know many won't agree with me and that's ok) and also how you think each players game could play out.

In this matchup, both WRs provide strong weekly upside. Both haven't lived up to expectations at times this year. So then it comes down to the matchup for me...I can see the Lions/Falcons game being a lower scoring game for a multitude of reasons...I don't see that with the Broncos game. I see the Broncos scoring enough to ensure the Chargers have to pass the ball and that would make me go with Allen.

Scenario 3: Player A is Torrey Smith and Player B is Allen Robinson. Both teams will need to throw the ball to win so check to each. Smith is playing against the Bengals in Cinn check against Smith. Robinson is playing at home against the Dolphins. Push to check for ARob. You look at your matchup and you are a HUGE underdog. Big check to Smith because he has the huge upside. You have the better team and need safe solid points. Check to ARob.

So the moral of the story is that there is much more to it than just the raw projection. I like to say that "chemistry" matters in fantasy football. Again, many will disagree with me but that's my take.

• Like 3

You can't even count on match ups? For the simple fact of injuries and it doesn't even have to be your player. For example, based on SOS you sit Garcon because Sherman will wind up covering him, then Sherman takes a shot and gets hurt. Garcon comes unglued? 10 for 130 and 2 TDs and he's on your bench. If you've played long enough its bound to happen, but you gathered as much info as you could and set your line up accordingly. That my friend is fantasy football.

As much as people knock them, one thing I really like is that projections add up. If Petyon is throwing 4 TDs, then there are 4 receiving TDs spread out amongst the players.

I'm looking at another site (free) I use for info at times. They show Peyton with 3TD, but have the following TDs for receivers Demaryius-1, Sanders-1, Welker-1, Julius-2, for a total of 5 TDs. Maybe somebody else would throw those .

DMD has said many times, predicting the TDs is tough, and since those are 6 point swings it is huge for a players relative value. And now he is prediting receptions too, probably to aid in projecting scores in PPR.