[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But are free agent dollars really the most fair as opposed to worst goes first?

DMD

In the world of "what benefits ME at this moment", I have to wonder about the old FA bidding vs just drafting free agents.

Hear me out.

I like the notion of being able to get any FA I want based on how badly I want him. At the start of the season it seems most fair. Just because a team had a bad week one doesn't mean he automatically should get whatever the hot free agent is that popped up in week one.

But in a year like this with so many injuries and depth chart changes - especially for RBs - the waiver wire sucks now.

Teams that drafted Adrian Peterson, Montee Ball, Doug Martin, Zac Stacy, Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Gerhart, Jennings, Ray Rice, Ben Tate, Sankey, Chris Johnson etc. had to go to the FA wire and spend big to get anyone back. I know it happens every year but this year seems really harsh because many of those guys you grabbed ended up back to being nothing.

Let's not forget the pain of Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Victor Cruz...

So what I am seeing in all the waiver wires I have is that the great teams that had little needs in early weeks have a ton of FA cash. They can go grab anyone on the wire they want and they are already a team with no injuries at the top of the standings. I have a few teams that are in first place and I have almost all my FA money.

I am sucking wind in a few leagues where I was ravaged by injuries and had to cough up big bucks to remain competitive. Now I cannot make more than minimum bid waiver picks which means basically getting nothing. So I cannot compete in a few leagues because I have no way to rebuild my team for a couple of weeks or so.

Everyone has injuries and every year it is roughly the same. I have just not personally ended up with several teams that suck and I cannot possibly do anything to save their season. I could if we had worst to first FA.

I guess mostly I am just a whiny little bitc trying to deal with having no possible way to rebuild a few teams. Just sucks and I usually do not end up there.

Are you still as in favor of using FA bidding?

. :smashpc:

Yes.

I hear you tho. FABB can be really tough to manage if your team comes out of the gates slow. About the only thing you can do now is dump depth for speculative players and hope you nail one.

Edited by BA Baracus

Yup. Unequivocally. Any other system is a joke.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

I love the BB waivers , as they say it makes you manage your team & your FA BB $

This week I especially love it because the team I'm playing has Both his QB's on a bye and only has $30 left , Palmer is the only QB worth a shzzt on the wire and I have $140 left , even though I don't need a QB for this week I bid $31 on Palmer just so he doesn't get him :brow:

I love the BB waivers , as they say it makes you manage your team & your FA BB $

This week I especially love it because the team I'm playing has Both his QB's on a bye and only has $30 left , Palmer is the only QB worth a shzzt on the wire and I have $140 left , even though I don't need a QB for this week I bid $31 on Palmer just so he doesn't get him :brow:

Game within the game

Now that's called sharky gamesmanship right there. Slick, my bother, slick.

Yep and what I don't understand is why he didn't grab a bye week filler last week instead of waiting ?????

If he did he wouldn't be in this situation

Because he's a checkers player playing chess.

• Like 2

Yep and what I don't understand is why he didn't grab a bye week filler last week instead of waiting ?????

If he did he wouldn't be in this situation

Overwhelmed with the # of leagues he's in and didn't notice til now.

Overwhelmed with the # of leagues he's in and didn't notice til now.

not buying that one , he offer a trade to me two weeks ago and I countered with an offer with the comment " If we throw in QB's you will have one to cover your bye week "

not buying that one , he offer a trade to me two weeks ago and I countered with an offer with the comment " If we throw in QB's you will have one to cover your bye week "

Oops!

I still remember about 10 years ago when most leagues were based on worst to first for weekly FAs. I had a 3 game lead on my next best division opponent and in one week i lost all my qbs. My opponent got to pick before me for 3 weeks straight and every week he would pick up the best qb just to block me, I was stuck with Spurgeon Wynn as my qb for 3 weeks and he caught me and won the division the last week of the season. Throughout the period it became apparent he had the better team during that time but he still got to pick before me every week. I will always be against worst to first as far as records go.

That said.....All my leagues are BB now, except my local, for 20 years we have always based our weekly waiver wire on the past week. Lowest pts scored picks first on up the line. At the very least, using that system is based on more recent results and is more based on how teams are fairing at that period of time, instead of based on how teams were doing a month ago.

Well, in my case I am the best team in the league, but I have shot my wad. Paid dearly for Donell early. Also bought Tali, OBJ, and Riddick so I feel that my money was pretty well spent, and my team seems pretty much set. I knew as I was spending these chunks that I had damn well better be right, and for the most part I was. That's the thing, if you go big early and lead the pack in spending - you just have to get great value.

I mean I got Donell for like 1/4 of my budget, but considering the disaster that I was dealing with (Jordan and Reed) there is no way I would want that 250 back. That helped get me where I am. But the hell of it is - I only got him by a few bucks, and the season could have looked drastically different otherwise.

So my long-winded response is - yes, I wouldn't want it any other way. I want to be able to get the guys I think I need and I will suffer the consequences if I am overwhelmed with injuries, or just plain wrong. Been there, done that too....

Also, the NFL gives winning teams a more difficult schedule the following year. It keeps things competitive.

Not necessarily true. Each team regardless of finish will have 4 opponents of each of 1st place through 4th place finishers. You will often see a 1st-place team with a low opponent collective winning record while a 4th-place team will have a high opponents winning record.

Really could go either way? But you cant do point total because based on match up the guy could be 5-1? Worst record could be some one who has injuries and suspensions like my team? Then i'm able to take the 3 best players off waivers then playoff time, i get my guys back plus the waiver nuggets i've collected. The bid system seems to be the fairest until your out of $'s. I think if your in a serious money league should be bids because its your passion. But in a local league $100 and below, worst first. So each has its place, if your in a league with fantasy mafia act accordingly. If your in a league with some buddies or local league who needs the extra pressure of a budget?

• Like 1

We use worst to first, with an added setting. Season started with WW set to reverse order or draft. Once you submit a WW pick, you go to the end of the line. I sat on the top WW pick (option) for the first several weeks until I moved on Oliver. This is only for the initial WW pick for the week. After that it's FCFS (unless picking up a player dropped and they have to pass through waivers for a day or so).

ETA: I would also add that I think this depends on your level of involvement with fantasy football. Our league is very basic and most everybody likes it that way (our LM keeps asking every year if we're ready to go IDP like one of his other leagues). Having BB is "just one more thing to deal with" in many of my leaguemates minds. People will also argue that the fact we don't deduct points for INTs or fumbles is stupid (or something worse) too... but it's what we like.

Edited by lennykravitz2004

It's a good argument about fairness. It's really not fair that team A drafted Peterson, team B drafted Forte, and now team A is being punished for what is technically just bad luck during the draft. Team B wasn't brilliant for drafting Forte, they just took him because he's good and he was available.

The leagues I have been in that run worst to first were by far more competitive, and this is the reason why. Sure, BB adds an additional strategic element to the game, but maybe there can be something added to it.

A compromise?

Any player lost during the season for any reason (IR, suspension), then the owner should get their original bid money on that player back.

For instance, if I bid $50 on Peterson during the draft (or if Peterson was rated at $50, but we did a snake draft), then I should get an additional $50 in my BB account.

If only there were some sort of website one could reference so as to temper lofty expectations of free agents early in the season. :thinking:

clairvoyance.com ? gauranteedfantasyinfo.com ? weknewriceandAPwouldbesuspended.com

Not sure what you're alluding to here, especially as it follows the post about the owner drafting AP having bad luck.

Blind bidding is overrated. There... I said it. Most of my leagues use it, and there's nothing wrong with it, but this notion that it's the "best" or that any other system is inferior is silly. I've said it a hundred times, and I'll say it again... It's a matter of preference, plain and simple. And, while I do enjoy the leagues that use blind bidding waivers (I'm in several), I enjoy the couple of redrafts that don't just as much. And, they are no less "fair."

And, DMD, I feel your pain, although I blew my balance not because of injuries (although I have had my fair share), but because I drafted Montee Ball in the first two rounds, and Sankey as my RB2 (in one league). I'm still 6-2 in both of those leagues, but I've spent 75% of my waivers $$ on guys like Cadet, Dixon, Riddick, Helu, etc. Meanwhile, the guys with all of their money are picking up Hurns, Donnell, Hillman, Denard Robinson, Odell Beckham, LaFell, etc.

Oh well... Nobody to blame but myself. But, yeah, I enjoy a good old fashioned redraft, with worst-to-first waivers, once in a while. Even your namesake league (Weapons of DMD) has never strayed from that format (despite the minions protesting that it's "archaic" and "unfair"). :lol:

• Like 1

The hybrid system mentioned in some other threads would continue worst to first but not reset every week. Maybe every other, or 2 out of every 3. That way a team that is doing well but has needs gets some shots if they can hold off a week or two. Would be difficult to manage without the league site handling it, so we probably wouldn't do it.

Have seen exactly what you're talking about DMD.

I don't know if the injuries are actually worse this year --- what seems aberrant / almost impossible --- is to have so many injuries that really didn't produce the waiver wire gems of the past.

I feel like all of the guys who have benefitted from injury --- were most likely players who were drafted as part of a timeshare to begin with.