[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AJ Green & Brandon Marshal - Epic busts of the year.

Alphashado

Round 1 - Adrian Peterson

Round 2 - Brandon Marshal

Round 3 - AJ Green

Round 4 - Alfred Moris

Round 5 - Reshad Jennings

Round 6 - Ben Tate

Round 7 - Golden Tate

Round 8 - Vernon Davis

Round 9 - Cam Newton

ETC....

The highlighted players have been total and epic busts due to injuries, suspensions, or window licking.

What a freakin disaster. Needless to say, I am 3-5 with this team. And the only reason I have 3 wins is because I have managed to salvage a few weeks with waiver wire pickups like Brandon Oliver, Philip Rivers, and Amahd Bradshaw.

I've never before had a team so dominated with injuries and flat out busts. But the two biggest disappoinments by FAR are Marshal and Green. These guys are GOOD. Not only are they good, they are GREAT players. Thats what makes it so frustrating. You can't bench them or drop them to waivers because the INSTANT you do, you can count on some bastard in your league picking them up right before they blow up. Or they will blow up the INSTANT you bench them.

I have benched Marshal only one time this year..... Yeah, you guessed it, I benched him the week everyone said he wasn't going to play due to a sprained ankle. Not only did he play, but he got 3 TDs. Since then he has been TERRIBLE. 3-10 points per week.

And the only thing worse than a super star dud is a super star that says "next week" EVERY SINGLE WEEK. That is AJ Green. You can't drop the guy because he might come back and play "next week". Well every week it's still "next week".

It's nothing personal. Sht happens. I get it. But man oh man I wish I could draft again.

Edited by Alphashado

I've never considered an injury to be reason for the bust label. That stuff just happens, it's not really something that is in the players control. I have both Jennings & Green on my local and I'm looking forward to the stretch run. Hoping they can both get right soon.

AJ Green has scored double digit points in every game he's played so far. Injury to him is frustrating but I think thats more bad luck than him being a bust. He's not known for being injury prone so I'd give him a pass, it's not like drafting Darren McFadden in any of the last 5 years then moaning that he got injured.

AJ Green has scored double digit points in every game he's played so far. Injury to him is frustrating but I think thats more bad luck than him being a bust. He's not known for being injury prone so I'd give him a pass, it's not like drafting Darren McFadden in any of the last 5 years then moaning that he got injured.

Fair enough. But you could say the same thing about Marshal. He is still getting targets. He had 10 targets vs NE last week I believe. 3 in the red zone. He just isn't getting it done. Is it a result of a lingering ankle issue? Is it a result of a terribly inconsistant QB? Maybe. But Cutler and Marshal have had pretty spectacular chemestry every year together besides this one. Could it be a little of both? Perhaps.

The only player out of those 1st 9 rounds that I drafted that has an "injury prone" label is Ben Tate. I still thought he was a steal in round 6 as a starting "work horse" RB. But I can hold myself responsible for that one because I knew the risk.

So do unexpected issues remove the bust tag by default? I dunno. AP is clearly a bust. And nobody saw his suspension coming. Seems to me that from a fantasy perspective, any player that fails to produce anywhere close to his potential, regardless of the reason, would be a bust.

In fact, check this out. I just got this from the Wikipedia definition of Bust : A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level.

I would say that Marshal and Green fit that bill. Particularely due to their average draft position.

Edited by Alphashado

Fair enough. But you could say the same thing about Marshal. He is still getting targets. He had 10 targets vs NE last week I believe. 3 in the red zone. He just isn't getting it done. Is it a result of a lingering ankle issue? Is it a result of a terribly inconsistant QB? Maybe. But Cutler and Marshal have had pretty spectacular chemestry every year together besides this one. Could it be a little of both? Perhaps.

The only player out of those 1st 9 rounds that I drafted that has an "injury prone" label is Ben Tate. I still thought he was a steal in round 6 as a starting "work horse" RB. But I can hold myself responsible for that one because I knew the risk.

So do unexpected issues remove the bust tag by default? I dunno. AP is clearly a bust. And nobody saw his suspension coming. Seems to me that from a fantasy perspective, any player that fails to produce anywhere close to his potential, regardless of the reason, would be a bust.

In fact, check this out. I just got this from the Wikipedia definition of Bust : A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level.

I would say that Marshal and Green fit that bill. Particularely due to their average draft position.

Well thats your opinion but the definition of draft bust you've produced there is clearly about rookie coming in through the NFL draft.

I didn't include Marshall cos' he has played more games where he's been a disappointment and it hasn't appeared to be injury related. Green on other hand has averaged 13.96pts in the games he's played and has only missed four games so if he continues to be that productive over the next 8 weeks is he a bust?

Marshall has been a disappointment but to his defense a lot has to do with the whole team and qb issues. Cutler has been playing awful and. Lot has to do with him. I dont own him but i usually spend a lot of $ on him in fanduels because hes had good matchups yet he disappoints. Theres a lot if players im not gunna be playing/buying til they get their stuff together regardless of match up..Marshall being one of them.

Well thats your opinion but the definition of draft bust you've produced there is clearly about rookie coming in through the NFL draft.

I didn't include Marshall cos' he has played more games where he's been a disappointment and it hasn't appeared to be injury related. Green on other hand has averaged 13.96pts in the games he's played and has only missed four games so if he continues to be that productive over the next 8 weeks is he a bust?

Well since I highly doubt there is an official definition of the word "bust" in how it's applied to fantasy football, then I believe draft bust is the closest and most relavent official definition we will find. We draft these guys no differently than an NFL team drafts a rookie. In fact the entire principle behind a fantasy football draft is 100% based on the NFL draft format.

So while you are correct in saying that we are entitled to our opinions, I stand behind my opinion that the above definition applies.

Edited by Alphashado

Well since I highly doubt there is an official definition of the word "bust" in how it's applied to fantasy football, then I believe draft bust is the closest and most relavent official definition we will find. We draft these guys no differently than an NFL team drafts a rookie. In fact the entire principle behind a fantasy football draft is 100% based on the NFL draft format.

So while you are correct in saying that we are entitled to our opinions, I stand behind my opinion that the above definition applies.

Fair enough, there was a whole thread a few weeks ago discussing whether injuries to key players count as draft busts. Matter of opinion.

What about AJ Green though? Only gonna miss 4 weeks it seems and been elite when fit.

Fair enough, there was a whole thread a few weeks ago discussing whether injuries to key players count as draft busts. Matter of opinion.

What about AJ Green though? Only gonna miss 4 weeks it seems and been elite when fit.

And the general consensus is NO, injuries do not count as a bust, not in fantasy and not in the NFL.

Nobody else noticed that Rivers and Bradshaw were WW pickups?

The OP is welcome to their own definition of what makes a bust, but not many will agree.

Injury = busted = bust. It's all about failing to achieve expected output, regardless of the reason.

And yes, Marshall needs to quit his jibba jabba on that NFL show he's on, take off the suit, and start practicing. My two teams with him are 3-6 and 2-6. Glad he's off this week so I don't have to start his sorry ass.

• Like 1

Also i would put julio in the same category as these two. I think him and Marshall are the two biggest busts of the year..playing wise. Obv AP was different because of his circumstances and i dont think that qualifys him as a bust. This has been a very tough year bust/injury wise.

Injury = busted = bust. It's all about failing to achieve expected output, regardless of the reason.

And yes, Marshall needs to quit his jibba jabba on that NFL show he's on, take off the suit, and start practicing. My two teams with him are 3-6 and 2-6. Glad he's off this week so I don't have to start his sorry ass.

I agree with this 100%. If a player you drafted with top tier expectations fails to produce for any reason what-so-ever, then it's a bust imo. Because at the end of the day the result is the same. I guess we will see about Green. We have zero reason to believe that he won't reagrivate the injury again. He wasn't doing anything but practice stretches the last time he reagrivated it. Plus he himself has admitted that he will not be 100% untill the offseason. He has also said that he has his future in mind and will not take any chances with his career.

That is perfectly understandable. But all bad signs nonetheless. I guess we will see. This is the kind of injury that lingers all season long and the guy will be questionable for the duration. And that senario leads to poor results because you start the guy and he tweaks it in the 1st quarter then misses the rest of the game. I'ts a nightmare situation for Green Owners.

Edited by Alphashado

Nobody else noticed that Rivers and Bradshaw were WW pickups?

I picked up Rivers a few days after the draft once initial waivers cleared. And I grabbed Bradshaw after week one. 10 team league, neither were drafted. They weren't drafted in most 10 team leagues. Not sure why this is a surprise. Go back and look at most 10 team league draft results.

I picked up Rivers a few days after the draft once initial waivers cleared. And I grabbed Bradshaw after week one. 10 team league, neither were drafted. They weren't drafted in most 10 team leagues. Not sure why this is a surprise. Go back and look at most 10 team league draft results.

How was I supposed to know it was a 10 team league? Or when you signed them?

Just seemed strange to read those two signed off waivers.

Adrian Peterson, Min RB

Montee Ball*, Den RB

Dez Bryant, Dal WR

Ray Rice, FA RB

Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR

Nick Foles, Phi QB

Seahawks D/ST D/ST

Danny Woodhead*, SD RB

Jeremy Maclin, Phi WR

Tom Brady, NE QB

Fred Jackson*, Buf RB

Tim Wright, NE TE

Riley Cooper, Phi WR

Phil Dawson, SF K

Miles Austin, Cle WR

Josh McCown, TB QB

Ouch. :weird:

The frustrating thing about Marshall was that the only GOOD game he had, I sat him because it was the late game and he was questionable and lost my weekly matchup. I have since traded him and other parts for Julio and other parts, which is like trading one turd for another!

Mine would have to be AP? His suspension or legal problems were never mention anywhere prior to season? His suspension seemed to suprise everyone? So based on expectations, i would have to say he is the biggest let down of 2014? ADP 3, ESPN 1, Yahoo 3, NFL.com 1, etc.....You get the point. We all missed that situation brewing, even the FF pundits. Those of us who wasted our 1st round pick have been reeling ever since? I don't consider an injured player a bust but an unforseen suspension which changes how the NFL handles it's payers (Commisioners Exempt List)? Has to be the BUST of the 2014 season,IMO?

Edited by IrishPride

• 2 weeks later...

If there's any time to start Green next week should be it. This is a picture taken of Keenan Lewis' knee yesterday after the game.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/fladohado/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

Speculation is a bursa sac burst which wouldn't be all that bad & could be back rather quickly, but regardless he won't be 100%.

Sad thing about a stud that is playing bad is that you have to start him every week anyways. Marshal's 3 TD preformance vs SF is exactly why. He could hardly walk during that game.

But injuries like these linger all season and effect the player in many ways. They can get rusty. They can force themselves to play faivoring the other side of their body, therefore sometimes injuring something else in the process. They can reinjure an existing injury. And worst case scenario, they can go out on the field and be nothing more than a decoy.

Now Marshal after finally having a decent game has tweaked his other ankle. Having these two guys on my roster has been a nightmare of the 1st degree and has cost me the season in that league.

Well. Reshad Jennings going down and the Adrian Peterson fiasco didn't help much either. I thought I had a Brilliant draft. Team should have been stellar.

Ahh well what can you do. Bad luck is bad luck.

Edited by Alphashado