[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Start Bench List request

LosGatosEnFuegos

Yes, I do that a lot too.

A small amount of work alphabetizing would save thousands of people having to do that numerous times per week.

A large amount of work might link it to the MyHuddle section and highlight tracked players, but I recognize that this is indeed a very large amount of work. Alphabetizing an unordered list is not.

• Like 1

I'll let you in on a little secret: the SBL list is in fact in something of an order.

After I do all the writeups and assign each player a grade (it's no longer listed on the site like it used to be, but it essentially correlates to Best Bet, Great Play, Solid Start, etc.), I then copy DMD's list of rankings with projections. I load that into Excel, add a column and insert my grades. Then I sort by my grades. So for the most part the Best Bets are in order from top DMD projection to bottom; then the Great Plays, in similar order; then the Solid Starts in similar order; etc. There are a few tweaks along the way as I look at the list and decide if a guy needs to move up or down between groups, but for the most part that's the non-order order that they're in.

The problem with alphabetizing from that list would be that they'd sort by first name, as the field contains first and last name. And since I then have to re-key all those names into the SBL, adding another step to parse out the last name and do a sort isn't an enticing add to my plate.

That said, there are definitely ways to improve the way the SBL ties to MyHuddle and such. It's something that can certainly be discussed in the offseason. And if there's a way to make the SBL so users can sort the names alphabetically or by projection or by height or whatever makes it easier for you guys, or even print out a personalized SBL for your MyHuddle players, I'm all for that as well.

Hope that helps!

2V

2V that is great info. May I suggest that short term you add some abbreviated explanation of that on the SBL page, instead of this "This is not a ranking, simply a tiered list of players in no particular order within tier." (Which is a false statement and part of why the OP asked for a change.)

I mean if there is some order, and that order is based on other rankings from the site and some tweaks why not tell the whole world ?

2V that is great info. May I suggest that short term you add some abbreviated explanation of that on the SBL page, instead of this "This is not a ranking, simply a tiered list of players in no particular order within tier." (Which is a false statement and part of why the OP asked for a change.)

I mean if there is some order, and that order is based on other rankings from the site and some tweaks why not tell the whole world ?

I wouldn't say that statement is false, necessarily; it's just that the way the process works out, player names come into the sort in the same order as they appear in the P&P rankings and, once they're broken out into tiers, aren't much changed from that. It wasn't even necessarily by intent, just kind of worked out that way, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I don't know that it's conformed to uniformly enough to be a stated "order", though, which probably takes us back to where we started. If the bottom line is you want to be able to find your players on the SBL, finding a way to tie the SBL to MyHuddle becomes the priority--and probably should be the priority anyway.

2V

Thanks again for the response 2V, maybe I'm too much of an absolutist. But stating on the page "no particular order" and then telling us there is an actually an order, and that is is meant to "rank" the players seems inconsistent. Didn't mean to be overly harsh saying it is a false statement. But I'm sure most who pay for the huddle would like to know it isn't really random.

I personally don't need a way to tie the SBL with My Huddle, I can find my players on there and am usually only looking at 1-2 guys for an extra bit of info on who is worth starting. If it is done, great I'll get the benefit.

Thanks for the response 2V!

If it's in a sort of order, that's fine by me. Since the blurb says it's not, I assumed there was none.

In other news I can't believe Excel doesn't have a built in sort by last name function. If I ever used it, Microsoft would definitely be receiving a feature request.

Hey 2V (normally I'd say John but you've apparently transcended your name like rappers and everyone else is calling you 2V so it must be the cool thing to do),

I'd like to request that your Start/Bench list be 100% accurate. Every week. Please rub your crystal ball harder.

Thank you,

3S (See, I have a cool handle too!)

In other news I can't believe Excel doesn't have a built in sort by last name function. If I ever used it, Microsoft would definitely be receiving a feature request.

Pretty simple to add one. Assuming it's First Last such as Aaron Rodgers, and assuming A1 is the data field:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

Pretty simple to add one. Assuming it's First Last such as Aaron Rodgers, and assuming A1 is the data field:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

Globally, i.e. outside the purview of FF, you'd go backwards, skip a match to Jr., Sr., Esq., M.D., Roman numerals up to a certain number, etc. Then go back to the next white space that isn't a match and sort by that. You can't assume first name last name syntax and need to account for middle names, middle initials, etc. Still an easy add though.

Globally, i.e. outside the purview of FF, you'd go backwards, skip a match to Jr., Sr., Esq., M.D., Roman numerals up to a certain number, etc. Then go back to the next white space that isn't a match and sort by that. You can't assume first name last name syntax and need to account for middle names, middle initials, etc. Still an easy add though.

Well yeah. You have to craft your formula specific to the field format. What is the field format of this SLB you want to sort?