[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romo's Bad Back

chiroacademy

By the looks of how he was moving it looked like a lot more than a contusion. A contusion isn't going limit his function the way he was limited when he went back in.

He hasn't practiced once this week. If it's just a contusion I would imagine he would be going through at least the walk throughs.

If he is having spasms there is no way he could throw a deep ball. If he's not 100 percent he should sit. Maybe they ruled out disc problems but there is so much more that could be going on. I'm a Romo fan and I wish him well.

Pain medicine works wonders. He will play

I think the question is whether he will finish the game.

Dallas news sources confirm Romo has 2 Transverse Process back fractures. Future uncertain.

Wow!

I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound good.

Transverse Process Fracture

A fracture of a bone is the same as a break in the bone. A fracture of a transverse process is a break of a part of one of the bones in the spine. This part extends out from the side of the main body of the bone (called the vertebral body). A transverse process is shaped like a wing. They extend from both the left and right sides of the vertebral body.

Many of these injuries occur in the thoracic spine (the upper and middle parts of the back) and the lumbar spine (the low back area). In the elderly, these injuries can also occur in the lower neck area and are affected by age-related arthritis problems and osteoporosis(thinning of bone).

It takes a lot of force to cause this type of fracture. Because other organs and so many other parts of the spine are close to the transverse processes, these fractures usually occur at the same time as injuries to:

Other bones.

Organs.

Possibly the spinal cord.

Even if there is only a break to one transverse process, your caregiver will take steps to make sure that a nearby organ has not also been injured.

CAUSES

Most of these injuries occur as a result of a variety of accidents such as:

Falls.

Motor vehicle accidents.

Recreational activities.

A smaller number occur due to:

Industrial, agricultural, and aviation accidents.

Gunshot wounds and direct blows to the back.

Parachuting incidents.

SYMPTOMS

Patients with transverse process fractures have severe pain even if the actual break is small or limited and there is no injury to nearby bones, organs, or the spinal cord. More severe or complex injuries involving other bones and/or organs may include:

Deformity of the back bones.

Swelling/bruising over the injured area.

Limited ability to move the affected area.

There may be injury to a nearby:

Lung.

Kidney.

Spleen.

Liver.

Injury to nearby nerves can cause partial or complete loss of function of the bladder and/or bowels. More severe injuries can also cause:

Loss of sensation and/or strength in the arms/hands (if the break is in the lower part of the neck), legs, feet, and toes.

Spinal cord injury that leads to paralysis.

TREATMENT

If the injury is limited to a break of a transverse process with no other bone or organ injury, hospital care may not be necessary. Medication for pain control, special back bracing, and limitations in activity are done first followed by physical therapy later.

Complex breaks, multiple fractures of the spine, or unstable injuries can damage the spinal cord and may require an operation to remove pressure from the nerves and/or spinal cord and to stabilize the broken pieces of bone. Specialty care may be needed if there has been injury to an internal organ near a broken transverse process.Each individual set of injuries is unique, and your caregiver will review many things when planning the best approach that will give the highest likelihood of a good outcome.

HOME CARE INSTRUCTIONS

There is pain and stiffness in the back for weeks after a transverse process fracture. Bed rest, pain medicine, and a slow return to activity are generally recommended. Neck and back braces may be helpful in reducing pain and increasing mobility. When your pain allows, simple walking will help to begin the process of returning to normal activities. Exercises to improve motion and to strengthen the back may also be useful after the initial pain goes away. This will be guided by your caregiver and the team (nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc.) involved with your ongoing care. For the elderly, treatment for osteoporosis may be essential to help reduce your risk of fractures in the future.

Sorry Cowboys homers, but methinks between myself and MT, you've been screwed over. MT drafted him, and I picked him off of waivers last weekend and started him. It's the Double Kiss of Death. I also accept blame for Calvin this year, Rice last year, and Shady to yeas ago. I'm not sure what I did to piss the fantasy gods off and I even tried to appease them by sacrificing a virgin. Turns out she wasn't a virgin, so now they are doubly pissed. The trucking slut lied.

Edited by Tripleshot
  • Like 1

Sorry Cowboys homers, but methinks between myself and MT, you've been screwed over. MT drafted him, and I picked him off of waivers last weekend and started him. It's the Double Kiss of Death. I also accept blame for Calvin this year, Rice last year, and Shady to yeas ago. I'm not sure what I did to piss the fantasy gods off and I even tried to appease them by sacrificing a virgin. Turns out she wasn't a virgin, so now they are doubly pissed. The trucking slut lied.

You should have looked for a plan B... you had too much at stake here to rely on the word of a female, my friend

Edited by Avernus

Out per NFLN pre-game, they also questioned whether he even makes the flight to London for week 10.

With the news of the injury he has, no way he's on that flight. That'd be brutal.

Edited by irish

Early word is Romo will travel to London and play against the jags.