[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not starting a DST

GoldenEagle81

Whether the rules allow it or not I've always hated this sort of "strategy". A random thing based on your lineup and the NFL schedule. Nobody benches a player in a Sunday afternoon game to avoid getting negative points and losing.

We don't have a rule requiring a full lineup, but we do have a weekly points cash prize so this is less likely to happen. Well that and the fact that I've never seen a player with negative points, not possible on D for sure.

We don't have a rule requiring a full lineup,

I'll bet you do, as most leagues do, simply by virtue of wording. If it's not optional, it's required. For example, my homer reads "Each owner’s weekly lineup will consist of 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, and 1 Flex. Flex option are RB, WR, and TE.". It says will. It doesn't say may, can, or has the option. It says will. I'm willing to bet 95% of leagues have similar wording and this is a non-issue for a commish with some balls to interpret the plain-english right in front of them.

Not only that, but MFL explicitly defines what's required to start:

Starting Lineup Setup

Total Starters: 9

Number of Starting QBs: 1

Number of Starting RBs: 1-2

Number of Starting WRs: 3-4

Number of Starting TEs: 1-2

Number of Starting TMPKs: 1

Number of Starting Defs: 1

CBS:

Position Active Min Active Max Roster Total

QB 1 1

RB 2 2

WR 2 2

TE 1 1

RB-WR-TE 1 1

K 1 1

DST 1 1

ESPN:

Roster

Current Roster Size: 15

Total Starters: 9

Total On Bench: 6

Position Starters Maximum

Quarterback (QB) 1 4

Running Back (RB) 2 8

Wide Receiver (WR) 2 8

Tight End (TE) 1 3

Flex (RB/WR/TE) 1 N/A

Team Defense/Special Teams (D/ST) 1 3

Place Kicker (K) 1 3

Bench (BE) 6 N/A

Honestly, I don't even know how most of these questions come up.

Edited by flemingd

Technically yes we have a starting lineup requirement of QB-2 RB - 3 WR - TE - D - K but there is no penalty for having an incomplete lineup. So I could bench a player on SNF or MNF to avoid a negative score and lock up a win when ahead and opponent is done. But I'd never do that for multiple reasons.

Technically yes we have a starting lineup requirement of QB-2 RB - 3 WR - TE - D - K but there is no penalty for having an incomplete lineup. So I could bench a player on SNF or MNF to avoid a negative score and lock up a win when ahead and opponent is done. But I'd never do that for multiple reasons.

That makes no sense. If it's a requirement, then you cannot bench a D. Thus my comment about a commish with balls.

As far as Flemingd is concerned, he's interpreting the wording of STARTING REQUIREMENTS. If there are STARTING REQUIREMENTS, then the STARTING REQUIREMENTS are what you go by to field a valid lineup. Otherwise, there should be something in the bylaws that allow you to bench a STARTING REQUIREMENTS position. Not sure what people don't understand about STARTING REQUIREMENTS....simple English if you ask me.

All of my leagues require a certain lineup.

Yet if I forget to add somebody, he doesn't go in automatically and I get no points.\

So I believe it works both ways. I get penalized if I forget to start somebody, but I'm also allowed to choose to not start somebody.

And Taz, I've been in many leagues where you get negative points.

Example:

points allowed

0-10 10 pts

11-20 5 pts

40-49 -5 pts

50+ -10 pts

Yeah I'm confused by the people who say they never have seen a negative score... How long have you been playing? Just this year someone who I though had the W and was fighting for first place with my team going into Monday night ended up losing with a negative score. Took note of it and if I'm up with a player or defense to go, unless he's a stud, I'm benching em if I already have the W locked up.

Yeah I'm confused by the people who say they never have seen a negative score... How long have you been playing? Just this year someone who I though had the W and was fighting for first place with my team going into Monday night ended up losing with a negative score. Took note of it and if I'm up with a player or defense to go, unless he's a stud, I'm benching em if I already have the W locked up.

No need to be condescending. Many leagues don't have negative defensive scoring. My homer has no negatives at all actually.

Everyones saying that if the req. is to start 1 qb etc etc then whats the difference between forgeting to take someone whos starting out because theyre on a bye and not starting someone? Or if your rules state someone HAS to start a player and they dont want to because theyre ahead whats the difference between playing someone whos on a BYE to get a 0 and not playing someone at all?

If someone doesnt want to play someone for any reason i think its their own decision because there are loop holes around it...so let it go.

I just thought of a good example.

Blind bidding league.

You have run out of money to spend on a FA in week 15.

Your only PK gets hurt and is out.

You have to submit an incomplete lineup.

For those of you saying that is illegal, what's the solution?

Everyones saying that if the req. is to start 1 qb etc etc then whats the difference between forgeting to take someone whos starting out because theyre on a bye and not starting someone? Or if your rules state someone HAS to start a player and they dont want to because theyre ahead whats the difference between playing someone whos on a BYE to get a 0 and not playing someone at all?

If someone doesnt want to play someone for any reason i think its their own decision because there are loop holes around it...so let it go.

Then they have not met requirements and forfeit.

No need to be condescending. Many leagues don't have negative defensive scoring. My homer has no negatives at all actually.

Not condescending, just an honest question. Also why would the person be asking if negative points weren't a possibility? Anyways as for the question, I believe it's just another element of strategy. If you have the W locked up why would you play for example Michael Vick in a Sunday night game when he is prone to multiple turnovers? Just my opinion and I'm sure others will have differing views

So your tellig me when someone forgets to take someone out of theyre line up when theyre on a bye they forfeit the match? No.

If that's not how you want to run your league, that's up to you (and your league mates).

Edited by flemingd

I just thought of a good example.

Blind bidding league.

You have run out of money to spend on a FA in week 15.

Your only PK gets hurt and is out.

You have to submit an incomplete lineup.

For those of you saying that is illegal, what's the solution?

playing your kicker who is out is different than leaving an empty spot in your lineup

Hi guys, if you are reading this before 9:15 on November 1st, then please continue reading. I started a fantasy football league yesterday. It is a 12 team league and we need 1 more person by 9:15 or earlier. If you would like to join, go to Cbssports.com and go to free leagues, or visit this link: http://freemeeting.2...eeting/home

****you need an account on cbs as well**** thank you and please join, limited spots and time!!!!