[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish Advice

GoreHard

I am the commissioner in a 12 man league. One owner has not adjusted his lineup for the past 2 weeks. I have text him, and his reply is he doesn't care anymore. He is 4-5. He is yet to pay his fees, and the rest of the league feels it is unfair that everyone who is yet to play him will have a gurenteed victory. How would you guys handle this situation?

Lock his team and have the commish or other league members by committee set his line to what they believe is the best matchup.

Other possibility is to lock his team and whoever is playing him go up against the average score of the league instead for that week to determine win or loss.

• Like 1

First I would drive over to his house and beat the snot out of him, and collect the fees if it means breaking his kids piggy banks open.

But seriously, the commish should probably adjust his line-up each week putting in the most competitive team possible (use your judgement or a site like the huddle to go with best projected players). Also you need to make sure and collect fees long before this. Letting an owner get to week 10 without paying is ridiculous. They should have been locked out of managing their team long before that (with warning after say week 2-3 telling them that he'll be locked out). Doing this when nobody is out of the hunt should work/

See BJ posted a similar response.

• Like 1

Lock his team and have the commish or other league members by committee set his line to what they believe is the best matchup.

Other possibility is to lock his team and whoever is playing him go up against the average score of the league instead for that week to determine win or loss.

But seriously, the commish should probably adjust his line-up each week putting in the most competitive team possible (use your judgement or a site like the huddle to go with best projected players). Also you need to make sure and collect fees long before this. Letting an owner get to week 10 without paying is ridiculous. They should have been locked out of managing their team long before that (with warning after say week 2-3 telling them that he'll be locked out). Doing this when nobody is out of the hunt should work/

This x2.

This is why guys that haven't paid don't draft.

Is anyone eliminated yet? Have them run that team. Give them the option to "buy back in" by paying MIA's fees and he can then win money with the new team, assuming his two teams don't play each other. If they do, let the next lowest, etc.

This is why guys that haven't paid don't draft.

Is anyone eliminated yet? Have them run that team. Give them the option to "buy back in" by paying MIA's fees and he can then win money with the new team, assuming his two teams don't play each other. If they do, let the next lowest, etc.

While that is an ideal policy, what do you do when a couple owners show up without their money? Reduce the number of teams, find a last minute replacement? Draft for them?

While that is an ideal policy, what do you do when a couple owners show up without their money? Reduce the number of teams, find a last minute replacement? Draft for them?

You don't let it get last minute as the commish. Have a replacement lined up, hound them every day, drive them to the bank. Don't play with douches that don't settle up.

You don't let it get last minute as the commish. Have a replacement lined up, hound them every day, drive them to the bank. Don't play with douches that don't settle up.

Easier said than done, though, especially if it's a local/live draft. It's hard enough finding a time when all 10/12 owners can get together. Good luck finding an "alternate" to show up, just in case somebody doesn't have the cash on them.

In an online league with a slow draft, it's relatively easy, at least in theory. Dues are due well before the draft. If someone doesn't make the deadline, start looking (if you haven't already) for a new owner (well before the draft starts).

In this situation, I would try to find an alternate to finish the season. They get the team for free, essentially, in exchange for maintaining the abandoned team, and the non-payer is never invited back (whether he ends up paying or not). Depending on the situation, payouts are either adjusted (by the percentage missing), or the commish eats it (but that's up to the commish/league to decide).

• Like 1

Set his lineup for a week if you have to, but I think the best long-term solution is to find an unbiased party to assume the role of that owner. You open a can of worms if you (as commish) decide his lineup every week.

It happened to me (in a BOTH league) this year. The owner payed, but then bailed (stopped logging in). So, I don't have to worry about being short funds, but I still wanted to make sure the team is competitive (to maintain a level of "fairness" for his opponents, and the rest of the league). Trust me... If the team is offered up as free, someone will be willing to take the reins.

What sucked was when I lost to the formerly abandoned team the very next week, essentially knocking myself out of the playoffs. :lol:

Find more responsible friends to be owners.

Well considering we've never had this problem in our league (short of this one time this year, my co-commish is dealing with it, half the fee) it doesn't happen and I don't play with douches in my league.

Sorry but these absolute solutions to problems are not always feasible. as Gopher points out. Ours is a local in person draft. Owners are asked to bring the money that day, and the vast majority do. But if somebody forgets to bring it what do we do, hold up the draft and drive them to an ATM at gunpoint? This isn't the League or Goodfellas, it is real life.

I don't understand why someone stops caring at 4-5? I'm fighting tooth and nail until it's mathematically impossible. 4-5 is right in the hunt.

So kick him out effective immediately, then lock his roster so no players get added or dropped, and set the roster based on that site's projections (if possible). Make it crystal clear that there is no decision making in the process - you start the guys projected highest, then come up with a tiebreak for projections like alphabetical. Again, no decision making, just pure following rules.

• Like 1

Well considering we've never had this problem in our league (short of this one time this year, my co-commish is dealing with it, half the fee) it doesn't happen and I don't play with douches in my league.

Sorry but these absolute solutions to problems are not always feasible. as Gopher points out. Ours is a local in person draft. Owners are asked to bring the money that day, and the vast majority do. But if somebody forgets to bring it what do we do, hold up the draft and drive them to an ATM at gunpoint? This isn't the League or Goodfellas, it is real life.

It was hyperbole. Obviously you can't prevent all problems. The point is it's quite possible to get replacements or reduce risk of the problem altogether. Irish just posted about an owner bailing 30 minutes ago. Ask him how many quality replies he already has.

Edited by flemingd

That sucks! I've got a few leagues where you have to pay a week prior to the draft, otherwise you don't draft or play in that league, despite us all being friends/co-workers. It's not personal, it's just the way things are, and we all understand that with no issues.

Also, make sure you have some kind of rule or by-law stating this, as well as if you fail to update your team two weeks in a row without letting you know of some sort of issue beforehand (birth, death, etc), then that team will be locked from then on (or whatever punishment you wish to deal)

People work way too hard and spend way too much time and effort in this hobby for people who are "out of it" to not give a crap anymore and ruin it for everyone else

Go back and forfeit his four wins and do the same for the rest of his games.

That's not a bad option, either, but unless the schedule is balanced (every team playing that team the same amount of times), someone is bound to have a problem with it.