[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seattle's Defense

Shorttynaz

Posting this here as I'm looking to start a discussion regarding if this defense is even worthy of a roster spot anymore? Sure I have them, but looking ahead to the playoff's (even at 4-6) I'm looking like a lock to get in - I play the worst 3 teams in the league leading up to the playoff's. But.. Seattle's schedule:

Week 11: Chiefs

Week 12: Cardinals

Week 13: @ 49ers

Week 14: Eagles

Week 15: vs 49ers

Week 16: Rams

I'm not sure I'm starting them in ANY of those games - outside of maybe week 15 when they got the 49ers in Seattle. I have certainly learned my lesson this year on NEVER taking a defense too early - I honestly didn't see them regressing from last year, so I spent like my 8th or 9th round pick on them. Doh!

Anyway - there are some defenses out there that have some pretty tempting fantasy playoff matchups, like Carolina - they have the Bucs and Falcons in week's 15 and 16. The Texans have the Jags in week 14. The Packers have the Falcons (in GB) in week 14 and the Bucs in week 16. I can't believe I'm carrying 3 defenses on a 4-6 team - but I think I may be ahead of the curve. Records don't mean anything in the playoff's.

Edited by Shorttynaz

honestly thinking of dumping them and picking up Carolina (not seeking advice) just thinking out loud. The only semi-decent matchup Seattle has remaining is week 15 when they play the 9ers at home. But Carolina has Tampa Bay - not saying Carolina is a barn burning defense, but I'm thinking I like their chances more than I like Seattles.. But then - I'm reminded of the skull frolicking they took against Philly the other night..

honestly thinking of dumping them and picking up Carolina (not seeking advice) just thinking out loud. The only semi-decent matchup Seattle has remaining is week 15 when they play the 9ers at home. But Carolina has Tampa Bay - not saying Carolina is a barn burning defense, but I'm thinking I like their chances more than I like Seattles.. But then - I'm reminded of the skull frolicking they took against Philly the other night..

I don't blame you for dumping Seattle but don't go crazy after Carolina. They are absolutely horrid.

• Like 3

Without wanting to hijack the thread, whats gone wrong in Carolina? Have teams worked them out a bit? Or is the offence not helping them either by being poor.

Seems like another case of missing some players (Hardy primarily) and not getting the same kind of pressure on the QB. So the whole defense is exposed, more points, fewer sacks, fewer turnovers, etc.

Has the OP checked the current scoring by defenses in their league to see if there is a good one that is a free agent. I just looked at my league and MIN and NE are both in the top 10 (MIN is #2) and are free agents. Many fantasy players still go with defenses by name, and how good the team is or appears to perform defensively, instead of looking at actual points scored.

Just a thought. Personally I think the SEA defense just isn't as good (injuries etc.) and won't rebound soon. So looking at teams with good matchups is not a bad plan.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, whats gone wrong in Carolina? Have teams worked them out a bit? Or is the offence not helping them either by being poor.

This season they let all their WRs go, had some o-linemen retire, Greg Hardy happened, and the list goes on. Not to mention, I don't think Cam is the QB they thought he was. Truth is, last year was the anomaly season. They just aren't very good. I don't think Rivera survives this season.

Why is the schedule so unfavorable?

Other than Philly, the Seahawks don't play one passing offense ranked better than 22 other than Arizona who lost their starting QB for the year. Rush offense are only marginally better with Philly coming in pretty good and of course KC this weekend with Charles. And even Philly COULD be prone to a few turnovers here and there, but I'd still sit them.

Seattle is trending up a bit, having 6 QB sacks in last 3 games after having only 7 sacks in previous 7 games. They have also gotten 4 ints in last 3 games, after having only 2 INTS in the previous 7 games. Seattle is still ranked 4th against the rush and 8th against the pass despite how "horrible" they have been.

No few of their remaining opponents look like huge point gets, because most are very good teams in playoff hunts, but it's not as dire as most suggest.

That all said, I think I'm going to wait on defense next year a lot later too. I took the Rams in the 7th or 8th round and that was one of my worst picks. Defense is a position that I think should be put off until later, especially given the rules changes that have aided offenses.

I already picked up Washington's D (for a matchup this week) and GB's D (great fantasy playoff matchups). Next week I'm gonna drop Washington's D for Houston's D. They play the Titans and the Jags in weeks 13 and 14 (better than the Hawks 9ers and Eagles). I dropped the Hawks D yesterday for C Shorts III. Why? Maybe with the loss of Robinson they'll start throwing to Shorts even more than they have been. Sure - they're terrible, but they're always playing from behind, so they'll be passing more than running. Shorts has been seeing a steady increase in targets these past few weeks. The loss of Robinson only helps.

Why do they have an unfavorable schedule? Well - just my opinion, but they face the Cardinals - who didn't lose a step earlier this season when Stanton was their starter. Don't let that fool you - there's so many weapons for him to throw to - much better O-line than what they've had in the past, and Ellington (like a young Jamaal Charles). No thanks, I certainly won't be playing their D that week. Philly - that team is similar to Dallas. A lot of weapons on offense - and they can burn you either way. No thanks. 49ers? Maybe at home. Sure they may give up a few sacks, but they're gonna put up points too. I suppose there's worse defenses you could start in weeks 13 and 15, but I'd rather carry a defense who has two great matchups in the playoffs - like Green Bay, they have the Falcons, the Bills and the Bucs. Houston has the Jags in week 14. Or - I can carry the Hawks D who faces the Eagles, the 9ers and the Rams in the fantasy playoffs. I'd rather take my chances on a defense who plays less than average offenses.

Edited by Shorttynaz

I know a lot of people talk about streaming defenses, has anybody looked at doing that primarily using one of the teams on Thursday Night? I've been going through the schedule and the teams on Thursday, especially the home team, seem to have above average games for their defense.

Short week, less time to prepare, rest, etc. equates to lots of sacks and turnovers, lower scoring games etc.

The stats supported that through week 6, but seem to drop off after that, with some spotty success afterward.

Just a thought that occured to me watching last night, BUF defense was doing pretty well, Browns did the week before and I recalled some others with good efforts in other weeks.

While the Seahawks defense has been lousy fantasy-wise so far this season, it's not like they suddenly suck. They dropped a lot of potential int's earlier on but seem to be hanging onto them lately. Where they had fumbles caused but not recovered earlier, they've managed to grab some of those lately. The ball seems to bouncing more in their favor of late.

They also are getting some starters back. Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane are finally back, giving the LOB all their starters. Simon is also now healthy to provide depth. I heard today that starting middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, who was playing at pro bowl level, could be back not this week but next. They lost Brandon Mebane on the d-line for the season this week, which hurts. I see their run defense potentially getting a little softer but their pass defense picking up from here on out.

While the Seahawks defense has been lousy fantasy-wise so far this season, it's not like they suddenly suck. They dropped a lot of potential int's earlier on but seem to be hanging onto them lately. Where they had fumbles caused but not recovered earlier, they've managed to grab some of those lately. The ball seems to bouncing more in their favor of late.

They also are getting some starters back. Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane are finally back, giving the LOB all their starters. Simon is also now healthy to provide depth. I heard today that starting middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, who was playing at pro bowl level, could be back not this week but next. They lost Brandon Mebane on the d-line for the season this week, which hurts. I see their run defense potentially getting a little softer but their pass defense picking up from here on out.

Kam Kam is back this week too!

They can't cover and they can't generate pressure. Double whammy.

Yep much better over the last few games, way above their season average. They rank 22 for the season, but 9th over the last 3 weeks in my league.

this. Last year Sherman and co made teams 1 dimensional by shutting down opposing teams passing games. This year they can't shut down anyone

8th best ranked D in passing yards per game with 3 injured DBs returning this week isn't all that bad.

Edited by Bobby Brown

• 2 weeks later...