[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What to do when someone sits their players to let someone win?

djk80

So it's crunch time in my fantasy league. 2 more week after this one before playoffs. -- League is based off head to head first

One of the lower teams who is almost out of playoffs ended up sitting some of their studs , where it seems like to let the other player win increasing their chances of making playoffs?

What is the best way of handling this situation?

Not to get in too much detail they say AJ Green and Lacy and put in like West/Hopkins/Sankey or w/e

But what would you do? Putting in those players he would have beat the other player (they are both friends) We all know each other in the league and we know there should be no collussion but we do not know now how to handle the issue. How to penalize the person and how to sort out the situation?

Ideas?

Edited by djk80

I only believe in manipulation to help your own cause. I would throw a game to make the playoffs, but I would only throw a game to help someone else make the playoffs if I felt that team had been screwed out a deserved playoff spot.

That buddies helping buddies crap is crap.

So it's crunch time in my fantasy league. 2 more week after this one before playoffs. -- League is based off head to head first

One of the lower teams who is almost out of playoffs ended up sitting some of their studs , where it seems like to let the other player win increasing their chances of making playoffs?

What is the best way of handling this situation?

Not to get in too much detail they say AJ Green and Lacy and put in like West/Hopkins/Sankey or w/e

But what would you do? Putting in those players he would have beat the other player (they are both friends) We all know each other in the league and we know there should be no collussion but we do not know now how to handle the issue. How to penalize the person and how to sort out the situation?

Ideas?

Did you ask the offending owner if he made these lineup decisions to help his friend win? Even though it might be obvious, I'd be interested to hear how he would react to being called out. If he tries to justify or lie, then I'd want him out of the league. If he owns up to throwing off the competitive balance of the league, then you could undo the mistake and "fix" the lineup after the fact. This is dangerous if you don't have clear cut lineup choices here, and even then we're talking about a subjective thing. I'd want to get these guys to fess up before doing anything else.

• Like 1

Did you ask the offending owner if he made these lineup decisions to help his friend win? Even though it might be obvious, I'd be interested to hear how he would react to being called out. If he tries to justify or lie, then I'd want him out of the league. If he owns up to throwing off the competitive balance of the league, then you could undo the mistake and "fix" the lineup after the fact. This is dangerous if you don't have clear cut lineup choices here, and even then we're talking about a subjective thing. I'd want to get these guys to fess up before doing anything else.

Do you expect the owner to be honest in this case and say he was sitting his studs to help his friend win? And what do you do if they don't?

Yes you let owners manage their teams, but the "without evidence of collusion" bit gets old. Nobody is going to admit to or leave other evidence that people can easily find. If I'm in a league and I know the owners I believe I'll know when this stuff is going down, and it won't be because the guy admits to cheating. So when somebody comes and posts and says they believe this is what happened I usually trust them.

A confession would certainly be best, but is not required in order for the commissioner to act. Step one is always to directly contact the offender and see how they react. Face to face or phone call is best to get a true read on what they are up to.

• Like 1

As a commissioner, I try to check line ups each week as playoffs draw near. There have been times where I have made a switch because I felt the owner was trying to tank to either help someone else out or to increase his chance of finishing lower for the draft (a dynasty league with a weighted draft). There are creative ways to "tank" but sitting AJ Green for Andrew Hawkins is not one of them.

Do you expect the owner to be honest in this case and say he was sitting his studs to help his friend win? And what do you do if they don't?

Yes you let owners manage their teams, but the "without evidence of collusion" bit gets old. Nobody is going to admit to or leave other evidence that people can easily find. If I'm in a league and I know the owners I believe I'll know when this stuff is going down, and it won't be because the guy admits to cheating. So when somebody comes and posts and says they believe this is what happened I usually trust them.

Steve, you totally missed my point. I think this is obvious collusion. Most people should see it that way.

My point was that I'd want to ask to see how they'd react? Would they be honest about it or not? Not much different than how I handle things when I know one of my kids has done something they shouldn't have. If they are honest about it, I am much more willing to accept apologies and efforts to correct things. if they aren't honest, then it's time to rule with an iron fist. Hell, that's how life works. Confess to a crime, get a reduced sentence. Plead your innocence, and expect to get a maximum sentence if convicted.

• Like 1

Steve, you totally missed my point. I think this is obvious collusion. Most people should see it that way.

My point was that I'd want to ask to see how they'd react? Would they be honest about it or not? Not much different than how I handle things when I know one of my kids has done something they shouldn't have. If they are honest about it, I am much more willing to accept apologies and efforts to correct things. if they aren't honest, then it's time to rule with an iron fist. Hell, that's how life works. Confess to a crime, get a reduced sentence. Plead your innocence, and expect to get a maximum sentence if convicted.

Gotcha.

Wpob mentioned checking rosters near playoffs, I've been co-commish of my local league going on 20 years, and I don't think either one of us has been doing that. I may notice after the games are played, "hey look this guy sat so-and-so, or took a zero with no K/D since his was on bye". At that point one of us may have a talk with that owner to make sure they are not tanking.

In my local, we instituted a couple of rules a few years ago to attempt to prevent people from deliberately tanking games and/or losing interest when they're out of the hunt.

First, if you start a player that on bye or knowingly out for a game, there is a $5 penalty. We may have changed this to increment as well - $5 for the first offense, $10 for the second, etc. I know we talked about it, just can't remember if we actually implemented the increasing penalties.

Second, we eliminated our standard $50 entry fee and instead all owners pay $7 per loss for the entire season. So, if you end up 3-10 for the season, your league fee the next year is $70 where someone that went 10-3 would only pay $21. So, you can save yourself some money by actually trying to win. The total dollar amount ends up relatively close to the $50-for-everyone fee.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for every league, but we've been pretty stable over the years. This is around season 12 or 13 for this league and we have 9 or 10 (out of 12) owners that have been in since year 1. But, even if the guy that goes 3-10 were to drop out, we'd let any potential replacement know that their fee would be $70.

Edited by monster2333

In my local, we instituted a couple of rules a few years ago to attempt to prevent people from deliberately tanking games and/or losing interest when they're out of the hunt.

First, if you start a player that on bye or knowingly out for a game, there is a $5 penalty. We may have changed this to increment as well - $5 for the first offense, $10 for the second, etc. I know we talked about it, just can't remember if we actually implemented the increasing penalties.

Second, we eliminated our standard $50 entry fee and instead all owners pay $7 per loss for the entire season. So, if you end up 3-10 for the season, your league fee the next year is $70 where someone that went 10-3 would only pay $21. So, you can save yourself some money by actually trying to win. The total dollar amount ends up relatively close to the $50-for-everyone fee.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for every league, but we've been pretty stable over the years. This is around season 12 or 13 for this league and we have 9 or 10 (out of 12) owners that have been in since year 1. But, even if the guy that goes 3-10 were to drop out, we'd let any potential replacement know that their fee would be $70.

I also implemented the penalty for guys who play someone on bye or keep a guy in who was ruled out at least a day ahead of time. We have a few other rules to keep guys interested as well. Guys who finish last in their division have to supply beer and food for next years draft, which is spendy. Plus we have a consolation bracket that gets you your entry fee back if you win it.