[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver rules in the playoffs?

Bxengine

What do most of you do as far as eliminated teams in the playoffs? We are rehashing a discussion in our league, some guys feel its unfair to be locked out, because its a keeper league. I said a fair compromise for that then is if you are an eliminated team and pick someone up on waivers, he must be one of your keepers for next season. Anyone else use something similar?

In keeper leagues, the rules need to be the same for everyone.

My personal preference is NO WAIVERS allowed in the playoffs. You use the team that got you there, and if you decide to not have a backup kicker and yours gets hurt, too bad.

If you do allow waivers, then everyone needs to be allowed access to the waivers, and if your rule is that players picked up during playoffs must be keepers, then that rule needs to apply TO ALL TEAMS.

You could go with essentially the opposite of what you are suggesting and say that all players picked up during the playoffs are NOT ELIGIBLE to be keepers. This eliminates the benefit for non-playoff teams to pick up players (other than playing spoiler) so there is less of a chance that they would, but if waivers are open to some teams, it needs to be open to all teams.

Non-keeper league and my opinion would be different.

Edited by Big Country
  • Like 2

In keeper leagues, the rules need to be the same for everyone.

My personal preference is NO WAIVERS allowed in the playoffs. You use the team that got you there, and if you decide to not have a backup kicker and yours gets hurt, too bad.

If you do allow waivers, then everyone needs to be allowed access to the waivers, and if your rule is that players picked up during playoffs must be keepers, then that rule needs to apply TO ALL TEAMS.

You could go with essentially the opposite of what you are suggesting and say that all players picked up during the playoffs are NOT ELIGIBLE to be keepers. This eliminates the benefit for non-playoff teams to pick up players (other than playing spoiler) so there is less of a chance that they would.

Thats a great idea too. Thanks.

Our keeper league rule is that eliminated teams can no longer make waiver moves. Playoff teams CAN make moves.

After the season ends, rosters revert to what they were at the end of the regular season. This way playoff teams do not garner an advantage for next season, but they're still allowed to make moves during the playoffs.

Personally, I don't like the idea of locking rosters at the start of the playoffs. If churning players got you there, churning players should be allowed once you get there.

I have one league (12 team redraft) that allows the waiver wire and FCFS free agency to stay open during the playoffs. All teams can partake until they are eliminated from the playoffs. As we do not have a 3rd place game, once a team loses they are no longer allowed to pickup players. We added this rule due to one owner having lost both his QBs in one week after we locked rosters and had to play a semifinal game with no quarterback. In the 10 years or so of having this rule in place, we haven't had any problems.

With weekly payouts for high score, as well as year-end payout to high points overall, waivers is available to all teams through the playoffs. One of the leagues is a redraft, but it's a pretty competitive group, and they deserve every opportunity to earn those payouts.

• Like 1

Our keeper league rule is that eliminated teams can no longer make waiver moves. Playoff teams CAN make moves.

After the season ends, rosters revert to what they were at the end of the regular season. This way playoff teams do not garner an advantage for next season, but they're still allowed to make moves during the playoffs.

Personally, I don't like the idea of locking rosters at the start of the playoffs. If churning players got you there, churning players should be allowed once you get there.

That is pretty much what we do as well. Also don't like locking rosters, we used to try and allow only emergency add/drop if you lost a player. But now we don't care, you want to add Jimmy Twoshoes to your roster for the fantasy playoffs great, but you're not getting that emerging stud RB for the future, since other teams didn't have that chance.

We even add a few extra roster spots so you are not forced to drop other players to add somebody. Oh and the fee to add a player goes up from $2 to $5. Very few playoff moves are made, maybe 1-2 max (less than 1 average).

• 2 weeks later...

In my keeper league our waivers use the 'move to last after claim' process. During the playoffs, the order is reset each week based on seeding. During the week you move to last after making a claim, but it resets each week to the seeding order of the remaining teams.

I like how it gives slightly more meaning to those late regular season games for teams who are in the playoffs.

No, I don't see locking players out of waivers as fair at all, even if they're out of the playoff running -- ESPECIALLY in a keeper league.

If you're running this kind of league it's borderline extortion from the weaker teams.

If you're the odd-man-out of the playoffs, you've played competitively all season, maybe you withheld that #1 waiver priority, waiting for the player you need to emerge/drop, or you've been a bit too conservative with your waiver $ balance, you wind up 6-6 and out of the running due to injury or underperformance. You have good players that underperformed, like Brees and Megatron and McCoy and all the right players to get you through, but not to, the playoffs this year.

Then a potential long-term, multi-year talent like Latavius (it's a bit early for this, but pretend the playoffs started this week) drops and you've got the dry powder ($$ or priority) to take him and salvage a lost season.

Now, after you've smartly (long-term thinking) held off on using your waiver priority or dollars on injury fill-ins like Mohammed Sanu, you're blocked from making strategic, long term investments in your team by a short-sighted (short-term) rule.

Simple fact is, NOBODY uses the team that got you there. The team that got you there is a myth... Drafting, waivers and free agency are all a matter of weighing long- and short-term potential in any league, but ESPECIALLY a keeper. If the team you drafted is the team won you the championship, then you're in a crappy league, and I'd like an invite.

If you're trying to prevent collusion in your league, I can understand some sort of limitations (not these), but it sounds like you're being anti-competitive.

Edited by bpr103

One other point I wanted to make: now, you allow waivers for out-of-the-running teams, but require them to keep their waiver players next year...

Then, in my example above (god forbid) Latavius Murray finishes the season strong but tears an ACL in the preseason next year, 2015. Now, you're going to require that team to claim him as a keeper?

Not cool, dude. I hope you can find some other idiots or "friends" to join your cartel.

One other point I wanted to make: now, you allow waivers for out-of-the-running teams, but require them to keep their waiver players next year...

Then, in my example above (god forbid) Latavius Murray finishes the season strong but tears an ACL in the preseason next year, 2015. Now, you're going to require that team to claim him as a keeper?

Not cool, dude. I hope you can find some other idiots or "friends" to join your cartel.

Lol...feel better now?

We run full access to waivers for all teams. However, the bottom half of the league has their own playoff (The Toilet Bowl) so most teams try to remain competitive. The keeper rule is that you cannot keep a player that was not started by you in the regular season. We have not had any issues.