[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is This Cheating? / Punishment Ideas

Landry

I am the commish in my local league, and we've recently had quite an issue arise. Sorry if it's confusing.

Player 1 has clinched a playoff spot. Player 1 contacts Player 2, and tells him that if Player 2 trades him one of his elite players, he will give him a "free win" in their matchup this week, as he has already locked up a playoff spot.

At this point Player 2 contacts the co-commish, tells him everything, and they decide to see if Player 1 will actually go through with it. He does, and also reveals that he is doing it to push another player out of the playoffs by giving Player 2 the win, and to go for the second playoff seed, which he sees as more valuable.

I hope that made sense. I don't know what we should do, and I'm looking for any input anyone may have.

Thank you

I'd take control of Player 1's team and kick him out of the league without hesitation and set his line up with the highest projected totals for that week. If his team somehow wins the title, decide amongst the other owners what to do with the cash. Search for a new owner next year.

Edited by Gourdeau

Thanks for the input, guys. We are feeling the same way. Should we give him his money back? We are also toying with the idea of just having his team play out the season, and not allowing him into the playoffs...just slotting in the next seed.

prob easier just to give him his money back and tell him to get lost.

Yep, I agree. I would tell him to get lost for a very long time...as in forever. He showed his true colors. No integrity equals no play. Hopefully, this isn't a family member, close friend, boss, etc.

prob easier just to give him his money back and tell him to get lost.

Not just "probably easier", IMHO, the only choice in this.

Then don't look back. Maybe let one of the out-of-contention teams manage his team (sounds like the rest of the league is good). And as stated, just move up the next lowest seed to replace Dumbhonda McGee

I'm not sure I completely agree with returning the entry fee. If you do, you should deduct any portion that went towards the league website, trophy costs, transaction fees, and anything else that might be carved from the entry fee.

I can't think of any other gambling activity that would give someone a refund because they were caught cheating. But I can understand if this is a work colleague, or if there might be other mitigating circumstances.

Thanks, everyone. This really helps with the decision.

It really sucks because he has been in the league for several years...but it's just inexcusable.

All good advice. I'm more on the side of not returning his fee, he acted like a dick and shouldn't expect his money back (nor should the league winners get a lower payout than normal because of his douchery).

And just skipping his team in the playoffs sounds fair too.

All good advice. I'm more on the side of not returning his fee, he acted like a dick and shouldn't expect his money back (nor should the league winners get a lower payout than normal because of his douchery).

And just skipping his team in the playoffs sounds fair too.

I agree he doesn't deserve his money back but fighting with the guy over his entry fee might make a really crappy situation even worse. Might be easier to just give it back and move on. The guy is shamed either way

• Like 1

I agree he doesn't deserve his money back but fighting with the guy over his entry fee might make a really crappy situation even worse. Might be easier to just give it back and move on. The guy is shamed either way

I suppose, but the diphonda owner is the one that has to fight to get his money back (assuming he paid and the commissioner is holding the money). What's he going to do, sue for his money back, and go to court and admit he was a cheating douch.

I guess if it got really contentious you might cave and give him his money back (less any and all fees as somebody else mentioned).

I agree not worth what might be the outcome money makes people crazy. You don't want a Psycho flattening tires or doing other harms over a few bucks give him his money back kick him out. Then maybe see if someone( if there are any) that are out of playoff contention wants to buy in again and give it a go with his team. And if his old team plays people in contention maybe come to an agreement that you put heads together and start best lineup (projections?)as a league so there is no doubt its fair.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

I'll say it again. Not worth holding onto his fee. Give the money back (I still say ok to hold the transactions -if you want) but it also shows greater integrity of the league. It looks less impressive if you tell him to get lost but then you keep his money. Say we don't want you or the cash, not worth it.

• Like 1

We disqualified him and gave him his league fee back, minus a few weekly awards that he had won.

He was super-apologetic, not confrontational, and called upon his issue-free history to be given a second chance.

It's killing me as he is a friend...but I feel we did the right thing...

We disqualified him and gave him his league fee back, minus a few weekly awards that he had won.

He was super-apologetic, not confrontational, and called upon his issue-free history to be given a second chance.

It's killing me as he is a friend...but I feel we did the right thing...

I agree and sorry for the difficulty it presented. Its good that the person in question shows potentially understanding and remorse about the situation. Since it is a long time member in possibly good standing maybe it should be considered allowing a return next year, but something better addressed with the league after some time has passed. Time will give better indication if the offender's feelings displayed are genuine and allow for league mates to hopefully make an objective decision about the situation.

• Like 1

I started my own league with a bunch buddies and we are in our 5th year now. The 1st year was brutal, I had a few guys trying to pull shenanigans at the end of the year. They were out of it and decided to just drop all of their good players on to the WW so other guys could pick them up for the playoffs. I had to let everyone know not to bother because I was going to put them right back on the teams they were on. I had to tell a couple of the guys that if this is how they wanted to play it they were not welcome back. There was arguing and whining but they decided to follow the rules and come back. The next year I implemented some rules to keep guys interested through the whole season. It has now become my most competitive and enjoyable league to be a part of.

I guess my point is I agree with Frenzel. If he is a friend and is showing remorse for what he did I'd give him another chance as long as the rest of the league is ok with it.

• Like 1

I agree and sorry for the difficulty it presented. Its good that the person in question shows potentially understanding and remorse about the situation. Since it is a long time member in possibly good standing maybe it should be considered allowing a return next year, but something better addressed with the league after some time has passed. Time will give better indication if the offender's feelings displayed are genuine and allow for league mates to hopefully make an objective decision about the situation.

I agree with this. I'd think about giving him a second chance after a lengthy suspension. If not next year, maybe 1 full year out of the league with an ability to re-enter in 2016?

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and experiences. It definitely makes a tough situation a little easier to work through.

I'll keep everyone updated.

• Like 1