[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some advice on keeper rule

Gourdeau

As commish of our league it appears that I may have miscommunicated or not addressed 1 scenario in relation to a new keeper rule we started this season. We changed from 3 keepers to 4 keepers. In addition we added that teams could only keep 2 players from the first 6 rounds, and 2 from the remaining rounds. What has arisen now and was never previously discussed, is what happens if a player drafted in the top 6 rounds is dropped to the WW and subsequently picked up by another owner. My opinion on this is that soon as the player was dropped, he loses his draft value, others in the league don't feel that way. They feel no matter how long the player is on the wire, he retains his draft value. I think there is an obvious line though that if A player is dropped and picked up again by the same owner right away, then obviously he maintains his value. An example that was brought up is Mike Evans, first 2 weeks he was mediocre at best, he was dropped after week 1 and then picked up in week 4. Issue is that each owner has an opinion based on their current state of affairs on their rosters and I can get an impartial vote. I'm looking for some outside influence, be it advice or example of your own league rules, to help me and my co commish make a fair decision.

Is this new rule written in by laws and available to show here? Phrasing means a lot, if you're going to get technical on how to interpret

We don't limit keepers in our league so we don't deal with this. My gut agrees with you, players acquired through waivers are treated that way, regardless of if they were originally drafted by somebody.

Seems most often when I read about how this is done if the player is acquired off waivers or free agent that is how they are treated.

If the text you posted is what the league was told, that pretty much says it there, "all WW claims are ..." doesn't say "unless drafted". Just because they were originally drafted doesn't mean they should still count that way.

Going on that explanation, draft position is only pertinent to the team that drafted the player...whether by waiver or trade, that player has no draft value to new owner...teams can only keep 2 latter round/ww players regardless, so there doesn't seem to be any way to game the system

Either way, I think it's safe to say written rules are a good goal for the off-season

I think he should keep his draft value, for instance if someone dropped adrian peterson this year, he should count as first round keeper for whomever picks him up.

My opinion on a player like AP is that if the owner is stupid enough to drop AP and not hold him until he's dealt with and figure out where he is going to play and IF he's going to play, then too bad for that owner.. In our league keeper declaration is 1 week before the draft, draft is always near week 4 of the preseason, so there is no rush to make decisions with players. Another example is Brandin Cooks. I'm fighting for a spot and I had to drop him to make room for a WW claim to help me try to get a win. It's my problem now if another team goes and picks him up, its the choice I made..

Yeah while it makes sense for a player who's dropped to lose his draft value (since, in fact, the player was added to the current owner's roster by way of free agency). But since this situation is NOT clearly defined in the rules, you have to take it how it was communicated. Which is the draft value "runs" with the player, regardless of being dropped or not. Something to consider for the future.

The only way I see the draft pick traveling with the player is if they are traded. Once a player is cut their draft position really means nothing, why should the be any different than any other WW player. Because somebody blew a top 6 pick on him?

I agree spelling it out would help.

Are there specific players in question? Or owners that acquired players in this position thinking they would be in group 2 (late round/WW) of keepers?

No right or wrong answer (I seem to say that a lot around here). I run a keeper league where the players keep their draft value when dropped. Not exactly the same (the draft value simply determines what pick they cost the next year), but similar. But, if you did it the other way (where FA's are all treated the same, whether drafted or not), there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Commish needs to rule on it for this year, and then make sure it's clarified for future years, basically. Or put it to a vote.

All of the keeper leagues I've participated in used similar formats, where the player costs a draft pick. A few examples....

- Player costs the round they were drafted in for Year 2 (1st keeper year), then a round earlier the next (Year 3), then highest round available (1st round, basically) in Year 4. Nobody is kept more than 3 times (4th year is their last, including the draft year).

- Player costs 3 rounds earlier than they were drafted, and it decreases by 3 rounds each year. Drafted in round 12, costs a 9th the next year, a 6th the year after that, etc.

- Cost increases more dramatically.... Draft round -1 in first year, that round -3 the next year, that round -5 the next, etc. So, drafted in Round 18 costs a 17th the first keeper year, a 14th the next year, a 9th the next, a 2nd the next, etc.

In all of those leagues, the players keep their draft value (even if dropped). Just some ideas.

The way it was communicated is "ww pick ups will be considered a late round keeper" there were no "what if's" or scenarios discussed.

seems you just answered the question

That's it. Your response to the league should be "no matter what we all think it should be, this is the closest the rules get to explaining how it is, so that's what we'll enforce. We can address rules changes at the appropriate time in the offseason".

That's it. Your response to the league should be "no matter what we all think it should be, this is the closest the rules get to explaining how it is, so that's what we'll enforce. We can address rules changes at the appropriate time in the offseason".

This.

If what you have written is how it was explained, seems pretty straight forward that once dropped, a player loses any tie to a particular draft position, and thus would be considered a waiver wire pick up for keeper purposes.