[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

True Confessions of 1-10, 2-9, 3-8 teams. What happened?

wpayers

It may be too early for full retrospectives but I assume, that even for teams with losing records, most people are still focusing in on the season and haven't entirely mailed it in. In a couple of weeks that may not be the case.

So, for the teams that blew up, what went wrong?

One of my teams is 2-9. My problems started the night of the draft and I never recovered. Here are the first 8 picks (had pick #10). Based of the preseason hype I thought I had a fabulous core. Along side was my draft day reasoning:

#1 - Monte Ball (drank massive amounts of the top RB of the DEN juggernaut cool-aid)*

#2 - Doug Martin (I'm a Tampa homer. Local press praised Marin all summer as Lovie's bell cow)*

#3 - Keenan Allen (What could go wrong? He'd just pick up where he left off last year)

#4 - Michael Floyd (the new WR1 in ARZ. Home run hitter taking over for a fading Fitz

#5 - Cordarrelle Patterson (What a coup - snagged the next Dez, TO, AJ, before anyone else!!!)*

#6 - Toby Gerhart (What a coup II - couldn't believe he was still there at #6. The other teams are fools!)*

#7 - Jay Culter (Wait on QB strategy worked to perfection. Got my QB1 who'd put up big #s every week)

#8 - Kyle Rudolph (Who needs Gronk, Graham, Julius. I got the new toy.)*

* - eventually dropped

You can easily see why I'm 2-9 with that team. In hindsight that was a pathetic draft. But at least I was king for a day.

Share your calamities. Not just poor drafts but also Injuries, poor roster moves, suspensions, etc..

• Like 1

It may be too early for full retrospectives but I assume, that even for teams with losing records, most people are still focusing in on the season and haven't entirely mailed it in. In a couple of weeks that may not be the case.

One of my teams is 2-9. My problems started the night of the draft and I never recovered. Here are the first 8 picks (had pick #10). Based of the preseason hype I thought I had a fabulous core. Along side was my draft day reasoning:

#1 - Monte Ball (drank massive amounts of the top RB of the DEN juggernaut cool-aid)*

#2 - Doug Martin (I'm a Tampa homer. Local press praised Marin all summer as Lovie's bell cow)*

#3 - Keenan Allen (What could go wrong? He'd just pick up where he left off last year)

#4 - Michael Floyd (the new WR1 in ARZ. Home run hitter taking over for a fading Fitz

#5 - Cordarrelle Patterson (What a coup - snagged the next Dez, TO, AJ, before anyone else!!!)*

#6 - Toby Gerhart (What a coup II - couldn't believe he was still there at #6. The other teams are fools!)*

#7 - Jay Culter (Wait on QB strategy worked to perfection. Got my QB1 who'd put up big #s every week)

* - eventually dropped

You can easily see why I'm 2-9 with that team. In hindsight that was a pathetic draft. But at least I was king for a day.

Share your calamities. Not just poor drafts but also Injuries, poor roster moves, suspensions, etc..

I'm surprised you won a single game with that lineup. Yikes!

I'm in three leagues, and only one of those teams has a losing record. At 4-7, it has been a constant battle on the waiver wire to fix the draft. I drafted some of the same guys you mentioned (Ball, Rudolph) and some you didn't (T-Rich, Zac Stacy, C.J. Spiller, Garcon, Victor Cruz). I also have Cutler in that league (sat Roethlisberger during his two 6-TD games for him!).

Ended up getting some juice from Lamar Miller, traded for Dwayne Allen and nabbed Tre Mason on the ww.

It's never easy in FF.

Edited by MTSuper7

* - eventually dropped

Wow that is brutal. Sorry to rub salt in the wounds but all of those guys were on my don't draft list. Not because I thought they would all be busts, just because they were all going way earlier than I was willing to get them at. I have been fortunate in my leagues so I don't having any to share but I will be watching this thread. Good topic :tup:

Edited by Finn5033
  • Like 1

I have two teams with losing records. One is a 16-team redraft... I drafted LeVeon Bell, Brandon Marshall, and Rashad Jennings early. It's a league where you have to have RB's to win, so I then grabbed Joique Bell, followed by Cam Newton and Percy Harvin. I then took the CAR defense, Charles Clay, Jonathan Grimes, and Jarrett Boykin.

Needless to say, the majority of those guys (other than Bell) have been relative disappointments, for one reason or another. Benched Marshall on the week that he scored 3 TD's (he was questionable until kickoff), then started him on the week when he did nothing. Lost Jennings for a good while, and Harvin has been largely MIA (as in "missing in action", not Miami). The biggest disappointment, though, has been Newton. No rushing yards/TD's to speak of, and his passing numbers have been weak at best. I thought he'd be a decent starting QB (not top of the heap, but middle of the pack in a 16-team league), but he's been barely startable most weeks. In fact, most weeks, there ended up being better options on the waiver wire.

My other league is a 16-team dynasty (with IDP). Went into the season with pretty high expectations, after making the playoffs last year (top 6 teams get in), and starting this year with the same core group of players. Can't really pin the blame on any one player (or position, even), but they've been mediocre across the board... QB's (Eli and Tannehill) have been inconsistent, WR's (Andre Johnson, Welker, Decker, Wayne, Boldin, Boykin) have underperformed as a group, and my best players on defense either went on IR (Derrick Johnson) or missed several games (Calais Campbell). We only have to start one RB, and I thought I could get by with Fred Jackson and Frank Gore (and that hasn't worked out well, either). Maybe they would have been adequate, had my WR group been what I expected, but when both are a weakness, it's a problem.

Wow that is brutal. Sorry to rub salt in the wounds but all of those guys were on my don't draft list. Not because I thought they would all be busts, just because they were all going way earlier than I was willing to get them at. I have been fortunate in my leagues so I don't having any to share but I will be watching this thread. Good topic :tup:

There's the rub! This was my earliest draft (1st week of Aug), and for whatever reason, overanalyzed every pick and ended up reaching for picks 1-6. I honestly thought I was the smartest guy in the room. It's really funny to look back and see how wrong I was.

The funny part about your post is I actually did the same kinda thing but traded very well..

1. Cavlin Johnson

2. Julius Thomas

3. Gronkowski

4. Matthew Stafford

5. Toby Gerhart

6. D. Jackson

7. Bishop Sankey

8. Chris Johnson

I made some huge blockbuster trades and just worked magic

first trade before season even started was Stafford and Calvin Johnson for Andrew Luck and Alshon Jeffrey

people laughed..

Bishop Sankey is the only guy left on my team from the draft after all the trades

I have 31 accuisitons and 13 trades for the year

and im 1st in league clinched #1 seed playoff birth and most Points Forced by over 100 points

My team now is

Andrew Luck

Arian Foster

Cj Anderson (with ball)

Calvin Johnson

A.J. Green

Alshon Jeffrey

Vernon Davis

Cardinals

Justin Tucker

The funny part about your post is I actually did the same kinda thing but traded very well..

1. Cavlin Johnson

2. Julius Thomas

3. Gronkowski

4. Matthew Stafford

5. Toby Gerhart

6. D. Jackson

7. Bishop Sankey

8. Chris Johnson

I made some huge blockbuster trades and just worked magic

first trade before season even started was Stafford and Calvin Johnson for Andrew Luck and Alshon Jeffrey

people laughed..

Bishop Sankey is the only guy left on my team from the draft after all the trades

I have 31 accuisitons and 13 trades for the year

and im 1st in league clinched #1 seed playoff birth and most Points Forced by over 100 points

My team now is

Andrew Luck

Arian Foster

Cj Anderson (with ball)

Calvin Johnson

A.J. Green

Alshon Jeffrey

Vernon Davis

Cardinals

Justin Tucker

Thanks for the input but you missed the point of the topic. It's not who is doing well rather who is NOT doing well.

* - eventually dropped

Just sayin', but the guys in bold were those that a LOT of folks were iffy on. Four roll-of-the-dice guys in the top five rounds? Ouch.

:shrug:

Now, I'll admit... Gerhart was also one that was a question mark and I bought in big time. Fortunately, in the league I own him, my WRs have been good enough to get me by.

And sorry, not to go all InToolWeTrust on you, but I don't have a team that's even sniffing under .500. But I've had those years. :sad:

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

I feel you with Ball (drafted him in the high 2nd round in 2 of my 3 main leagues) and Patterson (drafted him in 4 of 5 leagues, 2 of them score return yardage).

Floyd, Gerhart and Rudolph were all getting grabbed before I had the chance or Id'a been all over them.

I was actively avoiding Allen.

Edited by PPIchamp

Just sayin', but the guys in bold were those that a LOT of folks were iffy on. Four roll-of-the-dice guys in the top five rounds? Ouch.

Now, I'll admit... Gerhart was also one that was a question mark and I bought in big time. Fortunately, in the league I own him, my WRs have been good enough to get me by.

And sorry, not to go all InToolWeTrust on you, but I don't have a team that's even sniffing under .500. But I've had those years. :sad:

lol trade better if youre desperate make desperate moves thats all I would suggset I was 1-2 to start the season..

I turned it around and went 7-1 and broke the record for most points forced in the league at 1176 points in standard ESPN through 11 games

Trade better and do whatver it takes to anticipate... take advantage of owners that are homers... make bold moves

thats how you win.

if you were still holding on to gerhardt after week 4 its your fault if you still were holding or not atleast moving Doug Martin week 5 its on you

I have two teams with losing records. One is a 16-team redraft... I drafted LeVeon Bell, Brandon Marshall, and Rashad Jennings early. It's a league where you have to have RB's to win, so I then grabbed Joique Bell, followed by Cam Newton and Percy Harvin. I then took the CAR defense, Charles Clay, Jonathan Grimes, and Jarrett Boykin.

Needless to say, the majority of those guys (other than Bell) have been relative disappointments, for one reason or another. Benched Marshall on the week that he scored 3 TD's (he was questionable until kickoff), then started him on the week when he did nothing. Lost Jennings for a good while, and Harvin has been largely MIA (as in "missing in action", not Miami). The biggest disappointment, though, has been Newton. No rushing yards/TD's to speak of, and his passing numbers have been weak at best. I thought he'd be a decent starting QB (not top of the heap, but middle of the pack in a 16-team league), but he's been barely startable most weeks. In fact, most weeks, there ended up being better options on the waiver wire.

My other league is a 16-team dynasty (with IDP). Went into the season with pretty high expectations, after making the playoffs last year (top 6 teams get in), and starting this year with the same core group of players. Can't really pin the blame on any one player (or position, even), but they've been mediocre across the board... QB's (Eli and Tannehill) have been inconsistent, WR's (Andre Johnson, Welker, Decker, Wayne, Boldin, Boykin) have underperformed as a group, and my best players on defense either went on IR (Derrick Johnson) or missed several games (Calais Campbell). We only have to start one RB, and I thought I could get by with Fred Jackson and Frank Gore (and that hasn't worked out well, either). Maybe they would have been adequate, had my WR group been what I expected, but when both are a weakness, it's a problem.

Yes, that was the Sunday night game vs SF. I too got spooked about CHI's chances and benched Cutler for Locker. Back then the buzz was Locker was on his way to QB1 status. Locker sucked that day and Cutler had a nice game. That was another poor move on my part. Would have been 3-7 instead of 2-8. That's a shade less miserable.

My team isn't that bad, 5-6 now but last 2 wins have been lucky so I could be 3-8

5 keepers Rivers, CJ0K, Fitz, Megatron, DemThomas

draft (* since dropped)

01 - Gerhart

02 - Devonta Freeman *

03 - Kyle Rudolph *

04 - Cutler

05 - Christine Michael *

06 - Jordan Matthews

07 - traded prior year

08 - Lance Dunbar *

09 - Kenny Stills *

10 - Jonathan Stewart

11 - Bills D

12 - Gould *

13 - CJ Anderson *

14 - Miles Austin *

I only included the later rounds since some are still on my team.and start regularly (JStew, Bills D)

And this team in our league is 1-10 (owner in year 1 of a 2 year rebuild plan, roster skewed to the future)

QB E Manning / Tannehill

RB - Gray, J Hill, Stacy, Croweell, TRich, Sankey

WR - K Allen, Hilton, T Williams, Crus Hunter, Allen Robinson, T Benjamin

TE - Cook K-Catanzaro D-Eagles

Think his keepers wer Manning, TRich, Hilton, Cruz, Allen

top picks included Sankey, Stacy, Hill, Willams, Cook

Yes, that was the Sunday night game vs SF. I too got spooked about CHI's chances and benched Cutler for Locker. Back then the buzz was Locker was on his way to QB1 status. Locker sucked that day and Cutler had a nice game. That was another poor move on my part. Would have been 3-7 instead of 2-8. That's a shade less miserable.

Yeah, funny... Locker was the 2nd QB I drafted on that team. Lot of buzz to start the season, and he didn't even make it halfway through. The week I benched Marshall, I started Donnie Avery (thinking he would get a bunch of targets playing catch-up against Denver). Totally backfired, and the point differential between Marshall and Avery cost me the win. The next week, I started Marshall, he did nothing, and I lost by less than a point. That was the start of my downward spiral.

Im 3-8 in a league but my draft wasnt terrible but a lot of busts in middle rounds to add to Montee, my points scored and breakdown has me around 6th at .500 due to WW and trading but been unlucky with schedule.

R1. Jimmy Graham

R2. Montee Ball (worst pick by miles)

R3. Andre Ellington

R4. DeSean Jackson

R5. Michael Crabtree

R6. Kendall Wright

R7. Pierre Thomas

R8. Terrance Williams

R9. 49ers DST (never normally do this and never again)

R10. Russell Wilson

R11. Chris Ivory

R12. Jeremy Hill

R13. Doug Baldwin

R14. Josh McCown

R15. Alex Henery

I went 0-8 with this team (picking fourth in a snake):

J Charles

J Jones

A Ellington

L Fitzgerald

M Stafford

R Mathews

D Jackson

K Rudolph

R Wayne

M Evans

MJD

J Reed

M Crosby

J Boykin

Philadelphia

Simple fact is, I banked on Stafford putting up elite numbers, which might've happened if Megatron had stayed healthy. Further, some #1's had terrible starts (Charles, Lacy, D Thomas), and some early picks were total busts: M. Ball, CPatt. Also, Rudolph/Reed turned out to be a super bad move - never back up your TE with a TE that has an injury history! I did this in TWO leagues - another one where I backed up Cameron with Reed. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

It's easy to look back in November and see the mistakes, but in August everything is crystal clear: in a 3-player keeper league I dropped D Murray, M Lynch and P Manning to keep Graham, D Thomas and Montee Ball. That team should still contend, but it could've been dominant. :-(

Edited by bpr103

It's easy to say it now obviously, but if you expected a Dez/TO/AJ type then you didn't really know what Patterson's skill set is. That's not really the kind of player he is.

I think Patterson is going to be a lesson learned for a lot of fantasy 'experts'. There was a heavy extrapolation and hope about how the Vikings would use him.

This is also a good observation. Your draft had boom or bust written all over it. Not many safe picks in your top 8.

Edited by nelsosi

Of all the venues to have a FUBAR draft, I did it in the Fantasy Championship.

1. AJ Green

2. Brandon Marshall

3. Zac Stacy

4. Larry Fitz

I ignored my gut on 1/2...shoulda went Julio and Murray.

LeVeon almost fell to me in the 3rd, he went 2 picks before mine.

Fitz wasn't a terrible pick (or a departure from my draft philosophy), but he really hasn't worked out.

This is my only bad team, but I really regret ignoring Maclin basically across the board. Shoulda listened to The Huddle.

After publicly ripping the band aid off the misery of this 2-8 team, the thinking behind the draft is starting to come back, as well as, some of the influences. IMO, John Tuvey is one of the best FF analysts out there. He is insightful and usually hits the note perfectly. But check out his comments on rounds 1 and 2:

http://www.thehuddle.com/2014/articles/fantasy-players-worth-a-reach-in-your-draft.php