[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mathematically eliminated teams trading

GoldenEagle81

I'm in a league with a late trade deadline...11/26 I believe. Theres a likely playoff team about to get Jamal Charles off a team that is eliminated. Should this be allowed to happen? Regardless of how fair the trade is? I just dont see the point of it, but then again I don't trade much.

Thanks.

I'm in a league with a late trade deadline...11/26 I believe. Theres a likely playoff team about to get Jamal Charles off a team that is eliminated. Should this be allowed to happen? Regardless of how fair the trade is? I just dont see the point of it, but then again I don't trade much.

Thanks.

A lot of factors that you are not letting in on and just makes it sound like you're unhappy about an opponent getting Charles. Is it a keeper league? What did the owner get in return? How will it help him past this season?

My league has its trade deadline today and only one team is mathematically eliminated but realistically another two are. Everyone is allowed to trade to the deadline as we have a punishment and trophy for last place so it would be unfair if one of them couldnt improve their team to avoid last place.

I took a big risk yesterday trading away AJ Green to one of the top contenders for a 1st next year. Difference is, I'm still in the running with a very solid team, I have players coming back from injury (Jennings/Gio) and I have Gordon coming back. I think I can still make a run this year & I'll be set up for next season. All that said, I would have still done the trade even if I were out of contention.

That why we implement trading for draft picks and a keeper. In one of my leagues I just got Forte from a guy who is eliminated but it cost me my 1st round pick next year. Another guy gave up his 1st round pick next year for Eddie Lacy. Another guy gave up a 3rd rounder for Ingram. That way guys that are out of it can build for next year and guys who want a shot at a championship can bolster their team but it costs them something real to do it.

Edited by Finn5033

Sounds ok to me but as others have said we don't have many details. If you don't want teams out of the running move the trade deadline up a few weeks. 11-26 is basically the end of FF season week 13, ours was 11-11, Tuesday after week 10.

Also seems strange for somebody that claims to rarely trade to be judging the fairness of a trade.

Why do so many people insist on challenging or questioning rules when the season is so far along? YOU DO NOT CHANGE THE RULES ONCE THE SEASON STARTS! If the rules state that ALL teams, regardless of standing, can trade up to the 11/26 deadline than there is no way this can be questioned.

Notwithstanding, the best rule changes are usually suggested during the season. Teams should take note of their ideas and send to the commish or the owner with the highest degree of OCD to file for debate over the off season.

• Like 3

As loaf stated , if its not a keeper or dynasty league , i'd take issue with an eliminated team trading to a contender this late in the season. I don't see any motivation for a eliminated team making a trade in a redraft league , other then collusion or poor sportsmanship.

IMO redraft leagues should set a deadline in week 10 , as most times all teams still have a shot to make the playoffs , in limited player keeper leagues i allow trading up to week 12 and in dynasties we allow year around trading

If it's not a Keeper League, I have problems with teams who are not going into the Playoffs trading players to teams that are.

As loaf stated , if its not a keeper or dynasty league , i'd take issue with an eliminated team trading to a contender this late in the season. I don't see any motivation for a eliminated team making a trade in a redraft league , other then collusion or poor sportsmanship.

IMO redraft leagues should set a deadline in week 10 , as most times all teams still have a shot to make the playoffs , in limited player keeper leagues i allow trading up to week 12 and in dynasties we allow year around trading

The only issue I have with not allowing eliminated teams to trade in redraft leagues is if there are weekly prizes for points (or any other weekly prize), a season long prize for points (or any other non-record based prize) or any kind of "punishment" i.e. buys the beer at following years draft, for coming in last.

If anything like that is in play, then I better be allowed to do anything I can to improve my team at any time any other team is allowed to, including trading, waiver moves, etc.

• Like 1

My own brother is eliminated and I'm tied for first. Tried to get Olsen for the stretch run and offered S.Smith/Hyde and my feeble attempt at collusion, got stonewalled by my brother.......its integrity not magic....if they bend/stretch/break rules....find another league.

Whether or not is "should" be allowed is a matter for your league to vote on. We don't allow it in my homer league, but we don't have weekly prizes or money on the line. "I want to play spoiler" can easily cross the line to "I'll trade you Jonas Gray for something I don't need but passes the 'fair' smell test to play spoiler since you are playing the one guy I don't want to face in week 14".

• Like 1

The only issue I have with not allowing eliminated teams to trade in redraft leagues is if there are weekly prizes for points (or any other weekly prize), a season long prize for points (or any other non-record based prize) or any kind of "punishment" i.e. buys the beer at following years draft, for coming in last.

If anything like that is in play, then I better be allowed to do anything I can to improve my team at any time any other team is allowed to, including trading, waiver moves, etc.

I've never played in a League that has prizes for points or anything else so that's my frame of reference

Sounds ok to me but as others have said we don't have many details. If you don't want teams out of the running move the trade deadline up a few weeks. 11-26 is basically the end of FF season week 13, ours was 11-11, Tuesday after week 10.

Also seems strange for somebody that claims to rarely trade to be judging the fairness of a trade.

Actually, I was asking a question, diphonda. As always, thanks for your input.

Actually, I was asking a question, diphonda. As always, thanks for your input.

Simple answer is it depends. Provide more info and why you think it shouldn't be allowed. Are rules being violated, do you think they're colluding? Or are just questioning the general practice of late season trading?

Without any of that it reads like many of the other 'is this fair' posts, a plea for help from somebody who feels screwed.

Thanks.

That's the part I take issue with. Teams should try to build the best team possible to be as competitive as possible from game 1 to the end. Why should teams out of contention not attempt to win just like those in contention?

Edited by MothAudio

That's the part I take issue with. Teams should try to build the best team possible to be as competitive as possible from game 1 to the end. Why should teams out of contention not attempt to win just like those in contention?

Yeah I agree, otherwise there'd be a huge advantage to be had from playing a bottom side on the final week of the regular season.

why should a team, that has no hopes of reaching the money, trade a player to a team that does? I see this as unethical. If I have no chance of reaching the Playoffs, and I have a stud, he stays with me. What do I have to gain? Nothing. I'm just helping a team win. And that's not right. If there's other factors, like Big Country mentioned earlier, then yes. Otherwise, it reeks.

Simple answer is it depends. Provide more info and why you think it shouldn't be allowed. Are rules being violated, do you think they're colluding? Or are just questioning the general practice of late season trading?

Without any of that it reads like many of the other 'is this fair' posts, a plea for help from somebody who feels screwed.

LOL! Yeah...because getting answer on this random message board will DEFINITELY help get something done about it. You nailed it!!!!!

LOL! Yeah...because getting answer on this random message board will DEFINITELY help get something done about it. You nailed it!!!!!

Then why did you post the question in the first place. :shrug:

I'd still like to see the details of the trade, I'm genuinely curious.

• Like 1