[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strategy: Stash Defenses for Playoffs!?

foste127

12 team league

4 bench spots

I have elected to pick up three defenses this week. One to start week 13, and start of playoffs wk 14, and the other two defenses to stash for week 15 and week 16. I feel there are no players on waivers who unless their starter gets hurt, would never break my starting lineup. I feel stashing defenses going into playoffs will give me a clear advantage at the position in an otherwise theoretically even playing field.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this strategy? Would you rather own handcuffs with the chance of them never seeing the field, or own 3 defenses knowing each one will start one of the three playoff weeks?

Playoff Schedule:

HOU: Jax wk 14

Bal: Jax wk 15

Pats: NYJ wk 16

QB- Brady

RB- J. Bell

RB- Mason

WR1- D. Thomas

WR2-Julio Jones

WR3- Dez Bryant

TE- Gronkowski

Flex- Blount

Def:

Bench

Stills

Oliver

Welker TO DROP

Bush TO DROP

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't do it, as D/ST scoring is wildly inconsistent (at least under the scoring rules in all of my leagues). Plus, you'll absolutely be kicking yourself if you start the "wrong" D/ST and get eliminated for it...I would much rather have the bench depth to handcuff one of my stud starters in the event of an injury, than I would stockpiling team D/ST.

I'm not against streaming D/ST, I just wouldn't hold multiples in lieu of solid position players, but that's just me...

• Like 1

Plus, you'll absolutely be kicking yourself if you start the "wrong" D/ST and get eliminated for it...

The only thing is that these are probably the best defensive match ups league wide, in all three weeks respectively. Plus as each week passes assuming I win, I can then drop used defense and pick up players as I go. I will still have Stills and Oliver available, should anything happen...

Thank you for your input!

Edited by foste127

I think its a good idea and I'm doing the same thing in my league. My roster is larger than yours and I have backups in each position, but I see more of an advantage in playing a D/ST with a great matchup in the playoffs than rolling the dice that someone elses' stud will get hurt.

• Like 1

In general, I actually think it's a good idea. The caveat is, as others have stated, you need transaction flexibility. Also, this assumes your core skill line up is set, with one or two key handcuffs and QB1. Granted DSTs are heard to predict but you can turn that thinking around and argue than why stick with one. If you are lucky enough to pick up DSTs that play the turnover factories (Jets, Jags, or rookie QB/debuts, etc) then go for it. At least you've got trends on your side.

Now specifically, IMO to the OP, your line-up lacks enough RB fiber to allow for tying up those rosters for DST. J. Bell, Mason and Blount aren't the most solid bunch. Your WRs may compensate for the weak RB production but other moves may be in the offing.

Edited by wpayers

Im holding Mia mainly for their match up against MIN in the championship round...if I get there. Torn between dropping SF who has played really well in my scoring, think they are ranked 5th on the season; thinking of dropping them for a lesser D who has a good week 14 and 15 match up

• Like 1

I totally support and employ this strategy as long as your bench is covered either through b/u's or having access to the wire during the playoffs. As soon as I clinched my playoff spot I stopped focusing on my weekly streaming and started collecting for the playoffs. I'll be running DET vs. TB & MIN for 14 & 15 and MIA vs. MIN in championship in wk 16.

I totally support and employ this strategy as long as your bench is covered either through b/u's or having access to the wire during the playoffs. As soon as I clinched my playoff spot I stopped focusing on my weekly streaming and started collecting for the playoffs. I'll be running DET vs. TB & MIN for 14 & 15 and MIA vs. MIN in championship in wk 16.

in the leagues I play in, there's nothing to " collect "